iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Valleys

Started by witterbound, July 28, 2009, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

witterbound

Today we set up in the barn the valley rafters we have been cutting for our frame.  Arky cut the timbers for the frame, and I've been working with a local timber framer on the layout and joinery.  I'll post another picture when we get the jacks cut and fit.  I'm hoping that we have the frame ready to raise in about a month.

Jim_Rogers

Aren't those hips?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

moonhill

They could be the valleys , just missing the hips.  But the joinery doesn't match up. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Meadows Miller

Gday

That looks like a juncion piont where he'll have  i reckon at least three bays joining a center gallery if im not wrong  ??? set me strait if im on the wrong track  ;) :D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

witterbound

I think you got it right, Chris.  Here is the sketchup model of the frame.

moonhill

In the photo it is hard to tell but are the V's cut in the top of the valleys?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

witterbound

Good eyes, Tim.  We haven't yet made the backing cut in the tops of the valleys.  We are going to have to cut mortises in the bottoms to accept walnut braces, and we thought it would be best to wait to make the "v" cut in the top until after the mortises are cut in the bottom, so as to protect the top edges of the valleys.

Meadows Miller

Gday

we dont do the v grove in the top overhere we just put the linning boards over the roof framing then put valley boards in to bring the valley upto an inch lower than the roof battens   usually 3x2 to 4x3s ;)

Jack rafters i usualy cut onsite to fit incase you have had to tweek the frame

Whitter i like the schech up and the workmanship of you frame keep up the good work Mate

Reguards chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!