iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New CPR method

Started by Raider Bill, February 04, 2010, 05:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Bear

Quote from: Captain on February 17, 2010, 07:24:07 AM
DNRs are usually only authorized by physicians (yes they require a physician's authorization) when the person is terminally ill, or is not expected to have high quality of life after a resuscitation....as in a late stage alzheimer's patient for example.  Healthy people are not carrying DNRs.

Captain

That clears up my confusion. I don't have to ask the contractors to start carrying DNR certs. That's a good thing.

Reddog

Move along Paul, move along.    :D

POC

Quote from: Captain on February 17, 2010, 07:24:07 AM
DNRs are usually only authorized by physicians (yes they require a physician's authorization) when the person is terminally ill, or is not expected to have high quality of life after a resuscitation....as in a late stage alzheimer's patient for example.  Healthy people are not carrying DNRs.

Captain
Are you sure that is correct?  I believe anyone can have a DNR order.  Isn't that the purpose of a 'Living Will'?

As far as finding a co-worker down, unless you KNOW that they don't anything done, you better start pumping!

When don't you start CPR? "3D's and an R" of irreversible death. Decomposition, Decapitation, Dependant Lividity (blood pooling in the lower portions of the body) and Rigor Mortis.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Warbird

Yes, anyone can have a living will with their wishes to either be or not be resuscitated.  I feel it is an important thing we should all do and make sure our loved ones know our wishes.

DouginUtah

It is important that you make sure that your doctor has a copy of the DNR document.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Warbird

That's where your loved ones come in.  Or your lawyer.  :)

POC

The biggest thing is to appoint a healthcare representative who will follow your wishes.  I don't know how many times we've had families arguing, or to have a persons drivers license that says "Organ donation", and the family refuses to allow harvest.

It is important to carry a copy of any healthcare documents with you at all times.  Shrink it down and laminate it, put it in your billfold.  Because unless you can "Produce documents" at the time of EMS arrival, you are a full code by default.  Your doctor having it, or the hospital having it, doesn't mean squat!
Patrick

DouginUtah

Quote from: POC on February 18, 2010, 12:43:26 AM
Your doctor having it, or the hospital having it, doesn't mean squat!

I disagree.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Norm

I just went through this dnr talk with my lawyer and each state has their own rules. For us she drew up the paperwork but the ? came up where to keep it. The advice was to have your DR have a copy as well as your immediate family. They are not really meant for emt's to worry about but for if you end up in the hospital in a bad way.

beenthere

I doubt EMT's that arrive at the scene (no family or relatives there) with someone performing the new CPR method, that they are going take the time to search through my billfold to find a shrunken copy of anything that will guide them through their immediate emergency procedures. They best get right to work, as I suspect they are trained to do.

Like Norm says, they'll ponder that paperwork when transported to the next stop, if there are signs of life. Hopefully they work to keep the organs for donation "alive" and in the vegative state
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POC

Quote from: DouginUtah on February 18, 2010, 01:32:24 AM

Quote from: POC on February 18, 2010, 12:43:26 AM
Your doctor having it, or the hospital having it, doesn't mean squat!

I disagree.
I mean in the field. As a former EMT, at least in Indiana, someone has to produce the EMS DNR paper or EMS gets right to it.
As far as the doctor and hospital having it, it is important; once you get to the HOSPITAL.
Patrick

Kevin_H.

I started as an EMT in '86 and became a medic in '91, as far as the DNR, unless your family has one they can place in my hand when I hit the door you are a full code. I understand that you and your family may have discussed it, but if I am gonna get sued for something sue me for saving your life.

Quote from: Reddog on February 17, 2010, 09:21:24 AM
If left to the Doc's and first responders, they will be more than happy to put you in a Nursing home as a vegetable.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Most of the ER docs and medics know the difference between quality and quantity of life.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Thank You Sponsors!