iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ink line?

Started by shad, June 07, 2010, 09:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

anyone used an ink line instead of a chalk line to snap lines on timbers? thinking of getting one from Amazon. good or bad?
currently using a chalk line with 45 pound braided fishing line. works ok but makes a fatter line than i would like. tryed some 8 pound braided line today but it kept on breaking and not making a complete line.

Dave Shepard

I haven't tried ink. Does it wash off with water? I use a couple of Tajima chalk lines. They leave a nice fine line.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Ink sounds permanent?  You don't want permanent.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sawdust

Never tried one and a friend of mine who is a log builder says they are amazing. Will throw a line past the bumps and is narrow and clean.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

clif

I have never used an ink line, but the past two months I have been using the Tajima chalk box also and I really like it.  For the past several years I have used Tuf Line fishing line in my chalk boxes with superior results.  No pulling real hard since there is almost zero stretch hence negligible sag ( hold the line when you pull so it does not dig down into your spool of line rather than locking the box) also you barely have to lift the line to get a good snap and finer chalk line.  I have not changed the line in my Tajima yet but I will soon, I know I will get a finer line.  Oh they say to use their chalk ?? Gimmick I do not know all I know is that it works good with their chalk.  See my feelings on quality in the Tape  post.  It is all in what you are willing to compromise.  Clif
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Stumpkin

I use 36 lb. test braided catfish line, fuzz it up a bit with super fine sand paper so it will hold the chalk better. Not quite as much stretch as the fine Tajima line. The stretch is what gets past the bumps, just pull it tight to get the sag out. I have two ink lines that I use as dry lines now, Ink is too messy, gets all over your hands and everything else that it touches. Some chalk is not as fine as Tajima's, most of it will work just fine.
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

Jim_Rogers

When you buy a standard chalk line holder it comes with a line that timber framers find too fat and fuzzy when snapped on timbers.
Most do change out this standard line for some other thinner line.
As mentioned a braided line works better.
50lb test braided Dacron line is one I remember hearing about. And I do believe that it is a fishing line.
I may have some here if someone needs some, just let me know.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!