iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

College football

Started by Texas Ranger, September 14, 2010, 10:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

FOOTBALL TRUTHS ...
(1) What does the average Univ of Florida player get on his SATs?
........Drool.

(2) What do you get when you put 32 Alabama cheerleaders in one room?
........A full set of teeth.

(3) How do you get a Arkansas cheerleader into your dorm room?
........Grease her hips and push.

(4) How do you get an Ohio State graduate off your porch?
.........Pay him for the pizza.

(5) How do you know if an Alabama football player has a girlfriend?
......There is tobacco spit on both sides of his pickup.

(6) Why is the Kentucky football team like a possum?
....Because they play dead at home and get killed on the road.

(7) What are the longest three years of a Texas Longhorn football player's life?
........His freshman year.

(8) How many Oklahoma freshmen does it take to change a light bulb?
........None. That's a sophomore course.

(9) Where was O. J. Headed in the white Bronco?
....... Durham, North Carolina. He knew that the police would never look at Duke for a Heisman Trophy winner.

10. How do you keep an FSU football player out of your
front yard?
....................Erect a goal post!

AND FINALLY (drum roll and cymbal clash).....

(11) Why did Texas choose orange as their team color?
........You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and
picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gary_C

And on the reporting for the Iowa/Iowa State game in Iowa City, they not only give the scores but also the arrest report.  ::)

Police cite or arrest 131 at Iowa-Iowa State football game
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

petefrom bearswamp

Good ones all!
I am a Syracuse fan.
We are very good in hoops but still have along way to go in football.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ron Wenrich

Heck, you're old enough to remember when Syracuse was good in football.  Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little and they had a national championship in 1959. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Walnut Beast

It's that time of year!! Cornhusker Coach Fired!! 15 million out the door! After October 1st it would have dropped to 7.5 million buyout. But big money boosters give the nod. 
Here we go again in the last several years over 50 million in severance packages. 28 million more than any other school!!! Let's get it right this time Cornhuskers!! With the new 150 million training complex that will be the best in the country and the right coach let's Git-R-Done 💪😂

YellowHammer

Roll Tide!!!

SEC is Number 1!

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Nebraska

Yep, tired of almost win almost always.... ::)

kantuckid

One of our grandaughter's mailed us a letter from her first grade class assignment in Knoxville, TN yesterday. She said hello, told how she liked her school then stated that the boy's all like the "orange team" but "she likes the blue team, like her Daddy". She did not mean Texas... :D 
The KY football team actually dined on gator meat after the game.

Our KY coach seeing some success has an article towards the NE job in today's paper. Most say it's a doubtful choice for him as he's making a bunch here now. 
LSU's national champ coach got 16.9 mil to leave. 
Urban Meyer is also in todays FB news as a potential NE coach and he says their fans are unique among all football schools in their (my word choice) zeal.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SawyerTed

After losing to Appalachian State, I noticed Texas A&M is replacing the turf with cardboard in their stadium this week before playing Miami.

That's because they always play better on paper.

The Aggies found out the same thing Michigan did a few years ago.  The ASU Mountaineers shouldn't be taken lightly.  Miami is going to be playing a mad A&M team.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

I watched some of the plays from the Appalacian State game, they looked hard core, and not to be underestimated. 

Alabama was as sloppy as I can remember them, they were lucky to only drop one place in the rankings, and lucky to win.  They have been reading too much "rat poison."
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

rusticretreater

Mighty James Madison U moved up from the FCS to the FBS and joined the Sun Belt Conference.  They are on the bye week after ripping Middle Tenn. St. and Norfolk St in their first two games(combined score 107-14).  They travel to Appalachian State next in a huge game for JMU to show they belong.

Group of 5 Sun Belt Conference wins last week.
App. State over #6 Texas A&M
Marshall over #8 Notre Dame
GA Southern over Nebraska

Look out Alabama, Louisiana Monroe is heading your way!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

kantuckid

AL has much to prove at this point. The other factor though is that teams like AL often go 3 deep at all positions via their recruiting so it becomes a test of whose gonna play as the season progresses. Those Sunbelt teams lack that depth and injuries matter more over a season. 
For now, AL is running on brand name, not performance.

Walnut Beast

The Frank Solich curse! He replaced Legendary Tom Osborne and got fired at 9-3. The five National Championships should have easily been a few more if it had not been for the Penn State extended field!!! Florida State ruffing the quarterback by our now Athletic Director Trev Alberts. Miami dropped pass to name a few. And they say Frank Solich has never been back and stepped foot in Memorial Stadium since he was fired and moved. It's been 18 years, nine months and 16 days since Nebraska famously fired Solich after a 9-3 regular season. And Nebraska, once a powerhouse that won five national championships and went 414-82-5 in a four-decade span from the early '60s to 2003, has languished through eight losing seasons since then. Four coaches have been hired and fired at Nebraska since Solich, and the Cornhuskers have failed to finish better than the 10-3 mark achieved by his last team, which went on to win its bowl game in his absence.

YellowHammer

Alabama players suffer from Prima Donna Disease, which is having too many Blue Chip recruits with too much ego.  One of the reasons the players have the ego is that in many cases they are extremely good, maybe the best in the nation for that position.  However, if they don't perform, they get benched.  That's one of the secrets of deep recruiting, the playing positions are performance based and for every player in the game, there are a couple more standing on the sidelines waiting to take their place and thinking they can do better.  Saban is a master of managing personal strategy and recognizing who is the best at that moment, not who thinks they are the best.

Since every player is a top recruit, and most all have been record breakers at their high schools, then they all have tremendous potential and sometimes all it takes is a little game time to shuffle the players and see who is going to perform to a level to compete and win the National Championship.  

Many of the penalties we had were self control penalties, not performance based penalties.  So if a Blue Chip player can't control himself from blocking in the back, then the next guy will.

La Monroe will be seeing some new faces, and assuming Bama pulls ahead, Saban will waste no time swapping players and seeing who is performing.  That's one reason Bama doesn't throttle back when they pull ahead, he simply puts in different players and expects them to play 100% effort, and at that point they aren't playing against the other team anymore, the Bama players are playing against each other.

I've lived here since 1972, through the Bear Bryant years, then some of the not so good years, and I don't know about the other teams on other conferences, but Bama is always expected to compete for the National Championship,  and win it.  Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't but that is what is expected.  

There are some incredibly tough items out there, many Saban trained, and they have been "taught" the same mentality and that is most concerning to us fans.  From a coaching standpoint, he is competing against the other coaches, just like his players.  

College Football.  Nothing like it!  

YellowHammerisms:

kantuckid

As a former player, I'm not in agreement with the notion of separating of self-control vs. performance. As a rule the better athletes don't divert themselves from the ways the game was intended to be played. Trash talk perhaps by some, or jersey grabs in the backfield defenses but back blocks, targeting and sucker punches and the like are never tolerated by any coach having much class or success.
I used to work with a guy who'd spent his entire college football experience as an offensive end at Auburn, 100% of it on the 3rd string and him having been a highly drafted player out of HS in AL. He taught Industrial Electricity at my school. His choice to stay, I'd have gone somewhere else for sure. 
Prima donna does not affect all who have high skill at big schools, that's a human personality factor IMO. I went to a very large 3,000 student HS that tended to dominate it's opponents and mostly none of us had that problem any more son than at the much smaller college I attended where the players had all been highly successful HS players or they wouldn't have been there playing. The depth chart was far shallower at that small school and the first unit dropped off heavily to the 2nd one and especially to the 3rd team.   
 Given the freedom to move during the covid era, we've seen high level players change schools far more often rather than languish where they didn't fit well. In my day it often cost you your scholarship then or later and you became a black sheep player. 
AL success has no doubt led to their ability to attract from the many skilled in state and out of region players they get.
As a KS boy I never had any (zero) love for NE sports going back to the Big 6 & Big 8.    

Sedgehammer

Urban Meyer is looking for a job , so any favorable comments from him on any team need to be viewed in the light

Unfortunately the glory days for the huskers are going to be slim . It'll be hard for teams like them to bring in the big boys and top coaching talent . The press and social media is limited , especially with the way college players are being 'paid' . Should've been a set amount per player
Necessity is the engine of drive

YellowHammer

So we are in agreement.  As is Saban.  The best players play the best at all times, and if their emotions or personality get in the way, then there is another player waiting to take their place.  

Roll Tide! 
YellowHammerisms:

Walnut Beast

Like Urban Meyer said Nebraska use to be the Alabamas. Before Saben went to Alabama they were down for quite some time. And the NFL didn't work out very well for him. But he is a monster in college. Now it's time for Urban to come to Lincoln and turn things around. Like Larry the cable guy said we have the check book open. Who cares about his baggage! He is a winner!! 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Sedgehammer on September 17, 2022, 01:22:18 PM
Urban Meyer is looking for a job , so any favorable comments from him on any team need to be viewed in the light

Unfortunately the glory days for the huskers are going to be slim . It'll be hard for teams like them to bring in the big boys and top coaching talent . The press and social media is limited , especially with the way college players are being 'paid' . Should've been a set amount per player
We have the money and remember there is no place like Nebraska💪!! That's why we have the longest sellout streak in college football history to this day! Still 90,000 + fans in the stands even through all the years of losing. We are ready for Urban with the 155 million training complex to open next year. 

Nebraska

Kind of a long day around here..  

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on September 17, 2022, 05:22:38 PM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on September 17, 2022, 01:22:18 PM

We have the money and remember there is no place like Nebraska💪!! That's why we have the longest sellout streak in college football history to this day! Still 90,000 + fans in the stands even through all the years of losing. We are ready for Urban with the 155 million training complex to open next year.
Biggest issue in todays world is players exposure to media to raise thier brands to make endorsements . That's going to be hard to convince kids to go they're even with Urban and a $150 million training center . Alabama grew back before the days of endorsements . Be a lot harder now . That's why allowing players to make money in this regard will further concentrate the best players @ a smaller number of schools
Necessity is the engine of drive

rusticretreater

NIL is a great opportunity for alumni to boost their favorite university.  Very Rich Alumni with companies can boost their favorite player on the team with promotional deals and pull the university along with it.  This is also another recruiting inducement.  Any business in a college town can also ride the train.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Walnut Beast

Did I say I'm just a poor quarterback fo Ohio State. We be ballin now in a new Bentley!! He promotes the dealership in Ohio and they give him a new 150,000 Bentley 

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-football-quarterback-cj-stroud-receivers-150000-bentley-bentayga-in-latest-nil-deal

Ron Wenrich

You think that's something new?  Its been going on for years.  Lots of high end athletes have a nice set of wheels. 

Those rich donors are the ones paying the high salaries and bonuses for the coaches.  Rich donors also pay for facilities on the campus.  Like most other things, money will eventually squeeze the joy out of college football. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

kantuckid

The money influence will not go away from sports as too many profit from them. Gambling, media and donors who have deep pockets make for a skewed situation. Most all upper-level FB teams have facilities beyond our imaginations, also in basketball too. I personally get an upset stomach when I hear about the planeloads of deep pocket people who hang around sports teams. 
My local Lexington, KY newspaper today has an article about the NCAA investigating the employment of KY FB players at the schools hospital. It began as a FB team thing where they'd move released patients upon release to their ride. Then a former school kicker who had a FT job at the hospital opened the door to other jobs which seems to have become a loosely run operation with kids being on the clock when not even in town, etc.. They fired him and stopped the jobs program but it's still with the NCAA. Truth be known the NCAA is more problematic than the programs it seems. Money written all over that group. 
The flip side of the players jobs & endorsement scene is that as a player you have mostly zero time to work and earn money, even pocket money. When I played me and a couple of buddies would hang late at a Pizza Hut where they'd give us a leftover pizza or two which someone had called in then no showed. We didn't have enough bucks between us to buy a pizza! My so-called job as a player was cleaning basketballs in the off season for me. I got zero money from it, the numbers went to the schools account.
My BIL is in that group that won't watch pro sports yet loves college sports which are now so far from being a purely amateur area, it's not funny. Myself, I like all sports but do admit to having become no fanboy of the Olympics which I absolutely loved as a kid and track & field athlete myself. I had Al Oerter's news clippings all over my bedroom walls.
Kansas State is a great e.g. of a school in nowhere land that had a truly great players coach who was able to attract kids to a small town in flyover land, sort of like NE used to have in Lincoln. 
Urban Meyer is not a coach I can relate with, but in fairness we public don't get to really know these people who are media kings. 
Car dealers "loaned" the fancy wheels to kids in the past, now they buy their own? Neither myself nor my player friends had a car when/where I played. I had to get hurt, walk away from a free ride and work for 85 cents an hour @ the IGA to buy my first car.     

Thank You Sponsors!