dgdrls

Here, Right Matters

Alexander Vindman's
 story from childhood to his
retirement from the Military,

Very good read

D

red

I just picked up a good book called Attitude of Gratitude by Amy Newmark it is part of the Chicken Soup for the Soul book series . . it is 101 stories about counting your Blessings and the Power of Thankfulness 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

aigheadish

Good thread!

I've read most of Mark Twain's work, standards like 1984 (several times and each time feels a bit different) and Brave New World (a few times), I've read Harry Potter a few times through (great, great audio books), lots of Stephen King (to the point of tiring of his style), a few Michael Crichton (sp? Jurassic Park, Sphere, State of Fear most recently and it's very good and kind of topical), I just got done with the Hitchhiker's Guide series (not bad but I don't quite get the hype), Swiss Family Robinson, In the President's Secret Service (pretty interesting!),The Time Machine by HG Wells, The Wright Brothers by David McCullough (very good!), Ben Franklin's biography, and I'm currently re-reading the Left Behind series for the 3rd or 4th time (great story, kind of poor writing).

I'm a big fan of free books so I tend to lean towards the classics on Kindle, but those, that I'm interested in, are getting harder to find. I just started actually buying books this year on a more regular basis. I'll have to check out many on this list, thanks! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

DeerMeadowFarm

We went to Maine last month for a week's vacation. In one of the shops we visited, I found a book from a local author: Paul Doiron. It is called: "The Poacher's Son" and it's a crime novel that follows Maine Game Warden Mike Bowditch. The book won all sorts of awards and was given the Maine Literary Award for "Best Fiction of 2010".

There's a whole bunch of them in the series and now I'm hooked. I just ordered the 8th book. 

aigheadish

I just remembered a book I found at the 127 sale a few weekends ago, I should post some pictures of it, though I haven't read any of it and it seems likely I never will... It's a legit few hundred page book on how to make paper airplanes. At a glance it appears to discuss the physics of all aspects and a bunch of other info I would never imagine would be gotten into about paper airplanes.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

red

I just finished reading Louis Lamoir . . Son of a Wanted Man . . just a small paper back western that I picked up at Wal-Mart but a very good story 

WV Sawmiller

Red,

I read several Louis L'Amour books over the last couple of weeks in my deer blind including the one you mentioned. Also several of the Sackett books.

I just finished John Grisham's "Biloxi Boys" and really enjoyed it. Plenty of familiar towns listed throughout the book. Even saw Brookhaven Mississippi listed as one of the towns. I think the criminals hid out there with friends or such. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on September 14, 2022, 09:40:28 AM
We went to Maine last month for a week's vacation. In one of the shops we visited, I found a book from a local author: Paul Doiron. It is called: "The Poacher's Son" and it's a crime novel that follows Maine Game Warden Mike Bowditch. The book won all sorts of awards and was given the Maine Literary Award for "Best Fiction of 2010".

There's a whole bunch of them in the series and now I'm hooked. I just ordered the 8th book.
The Mike Bowditch series has been fun for me. I must confess, that is one series that I've listened to more than read. The state of NH has a free downloadable book consortium if you have a library card from your community.  I've enjoyed all of the Paul Doiron books, and characters!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

This time of the year in the cold north, is a good time to read Edwin Tappan Adney's 'The Klondike Stampede'. He worked for Harper's Magazine in New York. He eventually married a Sharp up here and settled here in New Brunswick. Met her in college down there. Her father was a famous horticulturalist of apple trees up here.  He was good friends with the local reservation building and restoring canoes in the Wolastoqiyik way. Some models of his canoes are in the Mariners' Museum in Newport News, Virginia. He is responsible for saving the birch bark canoe from oblivion. He was laid to rest locally here at the Upper Woodstock Cemetery and the local reservation erected a new stone for him in recent years.

The Klondike Stampede
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GRANITEstateMP

I listen to a lot of audio books while plowing and sanding roads or even just when running the tractor.  Ive gone through a bunch of William Kent Krueger's - Cork O'Connor mysterys.  Pretty sure I'm on the twelfth book.  The story's take place in Northern Minnesota, and well, they are pretty good. 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

red

I just finished Fordlandia about the rise and fall of Henry Ford's forgotten jungle city in Brazil by Greg Grandin . . Henry Ford purchased a huge piece of land the size of the state of Connecticut in 1927 and made a rubber plantation 

dgdrls

Currently working on 2,

The soul of a tree, George Nakashima
Story of a Master woodworkers
path from The PNW, Through Tokyo, Paris
and settling in New Hope Penn.

The Beautiful Race, Colin O'Brien
History of the Giro D'Italia

D

barbender

Granite, I hardly ever read anymore- it's almost all listening to audio books. I can go through quite a few in the winter if I'm in the cab of a cut to length machine.

I just listened to Crazy Horse and Custer by Stephen Ambrose. I enjoy Ambrose's work, it is well researched and cited. It gave a perspective, especially on Custer, that I hadn't really got before. One of the main things was how much of a national hero he really was after the Civil War, and how often he was wrote about in the newspapers. Really kind of a celebrity of the day, according to Ambrose, and that made for that much more of a shock when his whole company was massacred. 

Not to mention, the Country had been in a severe economic depression after the Panic of 1773, So leaders where looking for some good news. But the Battle of the Little Bighorn  happened right before the Country's Centennial, and really put a damper on the spirit of things as the country learned of it just before July 4th, 1876. 

It is kind of hard to get a sense of the mood of something like that in history, and Ambrose's book was written back in 1973 I believe so he couldn't make comparison to any national tragedies that happened in my lifetime. But I got the sense it was along the order of Pearl Harbor or something like that.

Custer was much more complex of a person than the caricature that has been handed down in popular culture.
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

barbender,

I have been burning through audio books with all the snow and ice we've been dealing with lately!  NH has a deal that if you have a library card you can go to a site and download books for free for 7-14 days.  I like that it's free, but don't like sometimes having to wait to get a "copy"... but free wins out and I wait!

I've done a few Ambrose books, pretty sure one was one the building of the transcontinental railroad, but would have to double check, or find the book.

David Baldacci has been a go to this winter. I've listened to the King and Maxwell series as well as the Camel Club and John Puller series.  I've enjoy them
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

SawyerTed

Lately I've been reading Zane Grey but not his westerns.

The Best of Zane Grey, Outdoorsman

and

Fishing the Virgin Seas

He wrote a lot of hunting and fishing material.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

newoodguy78

Not sure if this is the place for it or not because it's actually a podcast. One of my brothers tipped me off to the first season of In the Red Clay from imperative entertainment. It's about Billy Sunday Birt and the Dixie Mafia.  The narrator does an excellent job telling the story and doing interviews. Anyone interested in audiobooks about these types of topics ,I'd highly recommend it. Really sucked me in once I started listening to it. Ironically some of the towns mentioned are ones I see forum members are from. 

barbender

Newoodguy, I've had that one recommended to me and it's on my short list👍
Too many irons in the fire

newoodguy78

You won't be disappointed.

red

I just finished Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom it's about an old man ,  a young man ,  and life's greatest lesson 
Very quick reading and a very popular book 

aigheadish

I just got done with Pinnochio (spoiler, he was kind of a jerk!) and Tarzan of the Apes. Both were no additional charge with Prime Kindle. Both were good, especially Tarzan. 

SwampDonkey

Reading the first book of a series 'Outlander'. I believe there is a TV series. I've not seen it, but this book starts in 1948 in Scotland then the 'star' some how gets teleported to the 16thC Scotland by walking a path through standing stones. Then taken captive to a castle. So far she is free to walk about but not leave the grounds. She was a field nurse during WWII, so she's been asked to doctor any of the castle residents and study the former herbalists notes on treatments who met his end. She discovered a few patients didn't recover from his treatments let alone the ailment. :D These books are huge 1000 + pagers. I'd probably never watch it on TV at all, reading it is much different. I've got 800 pages or so to go on this one. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JonathanPace

Currently reading Into the Void: From Birth to Black Sabbath―And Beyond by bassist Geezer Butler. It has more of a human element than old Ozzy's biography - which still makes me wonder how that man is still alive after all his wild days. Both are brilliant reads!

red

The Toolbox Book by Jim Tolpin a craftsmanship guide to tool chests cabinets and storage systems 

Raider Bill

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 04, 2023, 04:51:35 PM
Reading the first book of a series 'Outlander'. I believe there is a TV series. I've not seen it, but this book starts in 1948 in Scotland then the 'star' some how gets teleported to the 16thC Scotland by walking a path through standing stones. Then taken captive to a castle. So far she is free to walk about but not leave the grounds. She was a field nurse during WWII, so she's been asked to doctor any of the castle residents and study the former herbalists notes on treatments who met his end. She discovered a few patients didn't recover from his treatments let alone the ailment. :D These books are huge 1000 + pagers. I'd probably never watch it on TV at all, reading it is much different. I've got 800 pages or so to go on this one. ;)
We started watching it on TV but after the second rape scene we moved on.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

red

Today is National Book Lovers Day and on Forestry Forum I think of Roxie who introduced me to New & Used Books | Buy Cheap Books Online at ThriftBooks where I have saved money on used books 

Thank You Sponsors!