I'll start us off...Here's mine made from:

A piece of LVL

2 old steel wheels

2 swivel caster wheels

3/4 in. Steel rod

Washers, pins, etc.

For reference, this a 10x12x12ft EWP sill beam

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Ljohnsaw

Very nice - but your casters look a might bit small  :D

But seriously, what is the purpose of the casters?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Rooster

Good Question...The casters keep the front (or back) of the deck from digging into the ground as I move the cart when it is empty, and it also helps keep the deck of the cart closer to the horizontal position prior to loading long and heavy beams.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Jim_Rogers

I was just about to post some pictures of my timber cart last night when the phone rang. I was waiting for a call to go out and plow snow for the town.

One Boston TV station forecast was 6-8" of snow for my area. Another one forecast 4-7" for my area. I think we got three inches or less. It was raining here last night for a least an hour or more, after it had snowed an inch or so.

I did get in the minimum 4 hours cleaning up the streets I plow.

But anyway, as I said I was about to post some pictures of my timber cart and a timber cart a customer of mine made after seeing mine.

Here is mine:

I made it out of two wheel barrow tires and a piece of threaded rod, some nuts and washers.
The rest was wood I had here at the mill.

I wasn't real happy with it and it didn't work completely like I wanted it to work. But it did work for me.

Here it is with an 8x8x16 timber on it:

And here is a shot of it as I was pushing the timber down the driveway:

The problem with mine was it was very tippy. I didn't space the wheels out far enough.

I added the 4' long planks on edge to make it higher so it would be easy to load and unload. The also worked as outriggers to prevent it from tipping very far over.

I had to use it on one job someplace some time ago, that's why I made it and it worked for that job there and then. I don't believe I ever used it again.

After my customer saw mine he made up this one for himself:

His was much more stable, I mean less tippy. He also cut the bevel on then ends of the front to back side pieces which made it sit nice when not loaded. And it was easier to move empty this way.

One day, I had to deliver a long timber to his yard for his timber frame project and I couldn't get the trailer backed around correctly to off load it. He told me to just "stop where you are"....

I said: "but we're way far away from where you need it to be....?" He wheeled out his timber cart. We off loaded this long and heavy timber onto his cart. And with one hand it rolled it right up to his workstation, with great ease.

I was very impressed.

I do recall now, as I'm writing this, about the time I had to use my cart on a job to move an entire shed frame from the driveway to the back yard of the customer's site as I couldn't get the trailer back there to unload.

And that I had to go around the fence for the pool and the ground wasn't level there. The first time I did that with my tippy timber cart the timber slide off one side, down hill. After reloading it, I used a ratchet strap to secure it to the timber cart so that wouldn't happen again. Securing it with a ratchet strap worked for me.

I have seen some other carts that have removable handles. These handles are used to move the cart when it is empty. This is so you can walk upright, back to the stack to get the next piece to move.

Having a low cart makes it somewhat easier to load and unload. But it makes it a bit difficult to move empty as you have to bend over to hold onto it while you're moving it empty. With removable handle it makes it much easier. The reason you want the handle removable is so that you can load or unload from either side or end, wherever the cart is.

I hope these pictures and stories have helped you some.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

Tractor Supply has pneumatic tires on sale quite often. I'm surprised with all the beam work you do Jim you did not build another one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

I still have the old one, out back behind a lumber pile.
I would suppose that the wood is junk by now. And I'm not sure of the condition of the tires and rims.

I could try and find it and rebuild it with something like my customer's design, should I need it again.

I think that I know one person who could use one. Maybe I'll find it and take a good hard look at it and see if I can rebuilt it and sell it to her. She is always trying to move something long and heavy from the driveway to the back yard of her customer's sites.

Jim Rogers

Brad_bb

There seems to be a problem with all timber carts though, you have to hunch over to push them.  The lower they are, the worse it is for the back.  But it's better to have the timber closer to the ground for stability.  I know you're taller than me Rooster, but that cart looks low.  I guess anything that allows you to move timbers by yourself is good.  I just think we need to invent one of those loaders from the Aliens movie:
http://youtu.be/FSrcMaid0mg
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Rooster

I do have a handle from an old post-hole digger (not pictured above), that I can slide into a pocket and use it to steer the cart around when it is empty.  I also like to choke a short length of webbing/strap to one end of the beam that I am moving, and use it as a handle or tether to push/ pull the beam and cart
Quote from: Brad_bb on December 30, 2012, 03:00:09 PM
I just think we need to invent one of those loaders from the Aliens movie:

I have been working on a design for a human powered forklift for moving beams...it's just not ready for "Prime-time, timber-time" .

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brian_Weekley

Rooster, I was trying to figure out how the axel is housed or attached to your cart.  Almost looks like it's just sandwiched between wood?
e aho laula

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Brian,

oz_smiley You've turned into a cat for the holidays, it caught me off guard.  I'll stop telling stories and being long winded, you got me. whiteflag_smiley Or at least I'll try.   ;)
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Rooster

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on December 30, 2012, 06:07:37 PM
Rooster, I was trying to figure out how the axle is housed or attached to your cart.  Almost looks like it's just sandwiched between wood?

BW,

You are right!...again! ( I can't get anything passed this guy!)

I have 2 - 1x6 boards screwed perpendicular to the LVL deck, with a 3/4" gap between them that acts like a dado for the 3/4" axle, and then I used a 2x6 screwed to the 1xs that traps the axle within the dado.  Since the photo was taken, I have replaced the 2x6 with 2 pieces of flat stock steel, to help make the deck lighter.  The pins on the ends of the axles can be pulled and the cart can be disassembled for easier loading into a work vehicle.

Rooster

P.S. 
Jay,
Don't change what you are doing!!  ;)
It's enthusiastic framers like you that draw more new guys to the conversation...besides BW and I are tired of laughing at our own jokes. 
We appreciate you, brother!!!  ;D
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Rooster on December 30, 2012, 06:40:56 PM
P.S. 
Jay,
Don't change what you are doing!!  ;)
It's enthusiastic framers like you that draw more new guys to the conversation...besides BW and I are tired of laughing at our own jokes. 
We appreciate you, brother!!!  ;D

I second that.  Please excuse my warped sense of humor.   ;D
e aho laula

danreed76

I'll have to post some pictures when I get home and back to all my toys er, eh, um... tools, but I ended up using a carpet dolly for a timber cart.  Mostly, though, I use this (guess it doesn't really count, but the forks are home made).
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/26855/2012-10-15_18-07-19_3245B15D.jpg

I don't remember what I paid for the carpet dolly, but I've seen a few varieties around at tool sales and such.  Nice thing is it's light enough to pick up and put in the shed or in the back of the truck.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Morewood

This is what I built to move beams in and out of the shop.

A one ft strap with chains so you can adjust center and lift height, then use a strap on the handle end. these are heavy duty wheels from northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company

Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's position on this company

3/4 bore x 4"wide hub . Spokes are about 3/16 dia . I had to put the heavy duty tubes with "slime" in them after the original tubes blew-out. Also added a "strong-back rod" with a turnbuckle to prevent bending of the rectangle tubing
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

losttheplot

I used to use this.

Now I use my log arch with a webbing strap.

I just wish I had made it big enough to fit over the mill  :(

Jay,
Don't try to change your personality because of a little pith taking.
I enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Rooster, (et al),

I'm not quite sure how I made that entry here, I was trying to "joust," with Brian on another thread and got, "lost and confused."  No worries, once I figure out Brian had turned into a "cat," for the holidays all was good in my world, and I had a good laugh.  Rooster, as soon as my camera unfreezes, I'll post our beam cart here, we have two, but the other is ...I'm not sure, it's our "big," one and can handle 1800 kg (several tons,) while the small one is good for, maybe 500 kg (1200 lb.)

Regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

ziggy

Anyone know where to get a decent pair of wheels (preferably not pneumatic) for a timber cart? I always have my eyes peeled at the flea market, but to no avail. I'd love a pair of steel rims with a solid rubber tire.

(Saw one pair once, but they were in poor shape.)

danreed76

Ziggy:  you can often find "garden cart" wheels at just about any farm or industrial supply store.  The last ones I bought were steel spoked, 18" wheels with ball bearings bored for a 1" shaft.  I bought them at Northern, along with some 3/4" bushings to make them fit the cart I put them on.  they handle a heck of a lot of weight, and the solid tires are great on uneven terrain.  I'm thinking about putting them on the carpet dolly that I use for timbers for better mobility.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

beenthere

Ziggy
McMaster_Carr at mcmaster.com has a lot of variety of wheels.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

The last wheel barrow style tire I got was solid no air. I was so sick and tired of my wheel barrow tire going flat all the time.

I saw it some where, don't remember where, and got it. Best and last wheel barrow tire, I'll ever buy.

Whatever site, I got it from had a video there showing the tire at the factory parking lot. The guy took a sawzall to the tire and drilled holes in it and it still worked fine.

Jim Rogers

John S

Jack Sobon has plans for a timber cart.  I took his class at HSV three years ago but cannot locate the plans he gave us.  I have built two sets of his sawhorses, they are simple but great.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

PaAnkerbalken

I just use my little log arch, up to 16'. When I mind holes in the timber from the tongs, I slip a piece of old tire between tongs and timber. The rubber actually helps grab the timber as long as the rubber is still pretty soft and flexible.
logosol M7

Raphael

This is my original timber cart.

And this is the new one ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Holmes

Raphael  :D :D :D   I like both carts but that new one is the way to go.
Think like a farmer.

canopy

So is anyone able to share plans? It would be great to get plans for a wooden one like Jack Sobon's or Jim's customer made for instance.

Thank You Sponsors!