iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12 x 16 Sobon Shed

Started by aakins, July 25, 2013, 07:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aakins

Hi All:

Alright...so in early January this year, I read Jack Sobon's book "Timber Frame: All About Post-And-Beam Building". I was instantly hooked after reading it. After a couple of times through it, I started to believe that building a frame would be possible! :laugh: The line, "The small garden toolshed offered in this book is a good starter project for the person wanting to learn the old way of building." made it sound like the perfect challenge. After reading more and more, I stumbled on Forestry Forum and have since spent more time than I can admit (or would like to admit to my wife) pouring through the wisdom in older posts. Jim Rogers was instrumental in answering some questions on the braces and having plans for the building. Many thanks to everyone that has contributed here as well. It is truly a wealth of information. Previous to building my frame, the most complicated thing I have built was a couple end tables and bed for our guest room. So, since March I've been working on it and this past Saturday (7.30.13) friends and family came by to help raise it. Its a day that will stay with me for a long time. A great feeling for sure. I've added a couple photos below to share with you all. At this point, I will be siding it soon. One question I had before I start that is how long should I wait to treat the timbers? They were green when they were delivered in March and were in my garage since then while I worked on them. I'm thinking about a boiled linseed / turpentine mix on them after I give them a final sand. Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated. I wouldn't want to put it on too early. Anyhow, thanks again to everyone!

Andy

Dave Shepard

That looks awesome! 8) Welcome to the Forum.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Nice looking shed you've got there.

And thanks for all the kind words.

You can treat the timbers whenever you want, they will dry naturally more once the siding is on and they can't get wet from rain.

Or you can leave them natural, it all depends on you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

Jim_Rogers

Oh, yea, welcome to the forum.

Jim Rogers

Planman1954

Andy:   NICE WORK! As far as a finish, I would use a semi-transparent stain and finish the timbers so that each time I went inside my BEAUTIFUL shed, I would enjoy the look of the timbers! Keep the pictures coming. Welcome 8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

aakins

Thanks Guys! Time to get cracking on the siding and treat the beams. I'll post some photos once I get the chance to wrap it up. I don't think photos of many Sobon sheds do them much justice as they  always seem to look small to me. Yet, when you're putting them up, you realize you're not dealing with any tiny garden shed. It's a solid building for sure!  ;D

Andy

WmFritz

Great job!  Welcome to our world Andy.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

grweldon

That looks awesome!  I bought Sobon's book last year and read it cover to cover.  I had visions of building a 30x40 barn and dismissed it as too labor intensive.  Now that I see  your shed, I think I'm going to plan on making one that size sometime in the not-too-distant future!  Great job!  Welcome to the Forum!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Rooster

Great Job!!

With all the new timber-framers that have been encouraged by books, internet, etc....it's interesting to see so many new timber-frames being cut inside newer stick-framed garages.  Makes me smile!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Dave Shepard

I think cutting a small frame is a great way to get a taste for timber framing. You may find that, yes, it seems labor intensive, but in the end the reward is great enough to justify it. Building a set of saw ponies has always been suggested as a way to get an introduction to timber framing, but I don't think you get to do enough get over the initial learning curve. By the time you've cut a small shed, you should be at a point that the work flows along smoothly and you've gotten over some of the beginner hurdles, like a big ugly knot right in the middle of your mortise. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rooster

So...if you find a knot in a saw horse mortice, is it called a "charlie horse"?

eh?
Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

razor

Yes welcome to the forum! And fine looking frame you have there.

WmFritz

Quote from: Rooster on July 26, 2013, 10:21:23 AM

yikes_smiley yikes_smiley yikes_smiley
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Rooster

Quote from: WmFritz on July 26, 2013, 10:30:54 PM
Quote from: Rooster on July 26, 2013, 10:21:23 AM

yikes_smiley yikes_smiley yikes_smiley

Thank you everyone, Thank you...
I'm here through Thursday!

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Piston

Hmmm.
That's weird, I thought I already posted in this thread, but I must not have.  Anyways, it looks like you did a GREAT job and the pictures are incredible.  Thanks for posting  8)

Speaking of the pictures, how did you upload them?  They seem to have way more detail than most pictures you see on here.  I know you've done a little post processing but even still, they look more detailed than any I've seen.  Great job!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't treat the beams at all, but that is just personal opinion. Once you have sided the building, the timbers will slowly take on a nice golden hue. :) Not sure what will happen with treating, they may change color anyway.

WmFritz

Quote from: Piston on July 28, 2013, 06:50:32 PM

Speaking of the pictures, how did you upload them?  They seem to have way more detail than most pictures you see on here.  I know you've done a little post processing but even still, they look more detailed than any I've seen.  Great job!

I wondered too.  A very good camera?   ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

aakins

Thanks for the welcome guys! Piston and WmFritz, I don't think I did anything special with the photos on the upload...Just added them to the gallery and then put them in the post from there. Still a newbie here though so not sure how you guys do it. From the photo side, I really enjoy photography so I documented chunks of the project with my Nikon SLR or my iPhone 5. Post photo editing took place in Photography + and/or Pixelmator. Keeping up with the technology end is the challenge. Makes using a chisel and mallet seem like a welcomed task!  :laugh:

Dan Miller

Photos look like they were taken with the HDR (High Dynamic Range) setting set to "on."

Dave Shepard

Hi Dan! How's the new workshop coming along?

aakins

Here are some shots of the "closing-in" process. Still got some work to do but it should be all tight for winter :)

Andy

kderby

Fantastic!

I helped my brother move a shed that was one hundred years old.  It was frail but sound.  My brother restored it at a new location, for new owners.  My mothers house is pushing a hundred and fifty years of age (New Hampshire ,USA).  That longevity has really stuck with me over the years.

I view modern construction with respect.  I also wonder if the modern stick built, para-lam and OSB house will last a century? Your shed could well be in service for a hundred years.  Congratulations and the future thanks you!

KDerby

schakey

Thanks for the post aakins. When I get to retire and be able to spend more time on our land our plan is to buy the mill and build Jack's shed for our first
project and then a timber frame home. At first we planned a log home but after seeing a timber frame that my friend sawed most of the wood for we
fell in love with timber framing.

Right now I am reading everything that I can get my hands on about timber framing and soon will start buying the tools.
PS. I love Board and Batten siding!
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Jim_Rogers

Andy:
Thanks for posting some enclosing photos. They look great.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!