iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preservative/Wet Lumber Question

Started by Brian_Weekley, September 06, 2014, 09:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I'm currently building frames/jambs for my barn sash windows to install in my timber frame.  I'm using white oak for the sills for its rot resistance.  Here's my dilemma--the oak still has a high moisture content.  Therefore, I don't think it would be prudent to paint the sills now, lest the paint may peel as the moisture escapes.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to wait since I'm planning to install the windows soon.  I'm thinking to just install the sills as is and wait till next summer to paint them after they've had some time to dry out.  Would I be better off painting just the ends so they dry a little slower (and hopefully minimize cracking)?  What about coating the oak sills with some type of preservative now until I'm ready to paint them later (maybe boiled linseed oil)?  However, if I did apply something, it would have to accept paint later on...

Some of you folks may have some suggestions.

Thanks, Brian
e aho laula

beenthere

Boiled linseed oil is not a preservative, I don't believe.

Spray or coat with a water-repellent preservative such as Thompson Wood Protector.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

razor

Have you considered Sansin products? They don't carry paint but they do have some fairly deep colours in their stain line. The great part about Sansin is it can go on green wood, up to 25% mc they claim.
I've been using it for a few years now on various timber projects.

Brian_Weekley

Perhaps "preservative" is not correct term.  I'm looking for something that is water resistant (to keep the wood from aborbing rain water), yet able to breathe (not completely seal it) to allow the wood to continue to dry out.  Maybe something like TWS would work.  Razor, I looked up Sansin, but there are no distributors anywhere near me.  Besides, I doubt I could buy it in quantities less than a gallon.
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!