iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gradall 534b telehandler

Started by thechknhwk, October 06, 2014, 08:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

Anyone know anything about these?  It's an 87 with a 4cyl perkins turbo diesel, 2700hrs.  Looks like it was either kept inside or painted with good looking rubber.  36' lift, 6000lb capacity.  I'm kinda thinking about it instead of paying someone lots of money to help put my barn up I could pay a little more and have a telehandler.  Except I can't find out how much it weighs.

ScottAR

I didn't find the 534B model but it's D model cousin weighs 24420.6 lbs.  I'd expect that's in the ballpark. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

thechknhwk

Just a few minutes ago I found a pic of an ID plate for the 534B and it shows 21,400 :o.  Guess I won't be putting that on a trailer behind the truck!

thechknhwk

The SAD, SAD part is my dear brother-in-law has 2 of them.  Ya think I could just borrow one or rent it at a reasonable rate, well of course not... he says he uses the nicer one a couple times a week and the other one has a sketchy reverse. ::)

Dave Shepard

I don't know anything about that brand, but a telehandler is just awesome around a mill or construction site. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thechknhwk

The only thing I don't like is that it's not SSQA on the front, but I suppose that could be fixed in time.

This is the old brochure.

http://www.hawkeyerentals.com/images/534B_Brochure.pdf

WmFritz

My BIL bought a new Skytrack for his conventional framing business. I believe it's the largest unit they make with a 70 or 80 foot reach. It has to be moved with a tractor/low boy.

Last week he dropped some good sized Aspen to saw up for trim. I went and got them and was blown away at how easily and smoothly he picked those 17 footers like nothing and so gently set them down on the trailer deck. What a difference from my liittle '59 Ferguson.

I want one bad!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ljohnsaw

I've got a 1986ish Skytrak 9038 (9,000 lb capacity/38 foot lift).  Was used pretty hard but still an amazing machine!  I've used it to pop out 6 to 7 foot boulders estimated to weigh around 18-22,000 lbs.  Couldn't lift them but could push them out of the way with the hydraulics.  The 4-wheel drive / 4-wheel steering is awesome!  Mine weighs in at 23,500 lbs. and took a big rig to deliver it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ford_man

If you like it and the price is right then buy it and hire some body to move it for you. splitwood_smiley

shinnlinger

I was able to use a big Lull on my house and it was extremely handy. I had it over a year.  It had a 12 ft basket so I could side and roof with it also.   My vote would be get it. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

thechknhwk

Turns out something was wrong with one of the drives, front or rear I can't recall.  Still looking, if you see any close to 48655 around 10k let me know.

thechknhwk

How about a Lull 644 Highlander II, 1995 vintage?  Maybe if I get one I'll have more friends.

sandhills

It won't matter what breed you get, you'll be the most popular guy in town  ;).

Dave Shepard

I have a borrowed 644, and had one at my last job. They are a great machine. They are not a telehandler, meaning you really wouldn't want to put a bucket on it and expect to do much in a day. :D But as a high lift forklift, they are great.

Removing timber stack cover:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thechknhwk

What do you mean it's not a telehandler?

Dave Shepard

A telehandler is designed to have a quick change for the bucket and forks, and also has the hydraulic speed and horsepower for loading operations. The hydraulics on a 644 move too slowly for bucket work, and it doesn't have a lot of power to the ground. You would have to be in first gear to scoop, and even then it wouldn't be too exciting. Newer machines are designed to be multi-purpose. I'm not saying you can't scoop with them, but it will be very slow.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 15, 2014, 10:28:17 AM
A telehandler is designed to have a quick change for the bucket and forks, and also has the hydraulic speed and horsepower for loading operations. The hydraulics on a 644 move too slowly for bucket work, and it doesn't have a lot of power to the ground. You would have to be in first gear to scoop, and even then it wouldn't be too exciting. Newer machines are designed to be multi-purpose. I'm not saying you can't scoop with them, but it will be very slow.

Yep - sloooooow.  I built a bucket for mine.  Slow, but a heck of a lot faster then a shovel and wheelbarrow! :D :D  The previous owner of my neighbor's property brought in tons of 1/2" - 1-1/2" river cobble, filling an area about 100'x100' anywhere from 5' to 1' deep.  Awful stuff!  Part is on my easement road to my property.  Roll over it and my truck likes to sink.  So I've been digging it out and spreading about 2" on my dirt forest road - it keeps the dust down a bit.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!