iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Applying Lubricant.

Started by Hale87, December 09, 2014, 07:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

Wondering if you can spray Dexron III through a small hand pump sprayer? If you can, I would guess it takes a better sprayer than the cheap plastic ones you buy at Walmart? There's got to be a quick easy way to go over my mill other than using a paint brush like I've been doing?

Thanks for the help.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Chuck White

I've never tried it, but I thought the ATF would spray through a regular spray bottle, maybe if you just add a little diesel it would work.

I think Lynn (magicman) uses a sprayer to apply ATF to the masts on his mill.

Myself I usually just pour a little ATF on a rag and wipe the masts down, then a little bit on the main rails!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Waterford Woodworks

I have been through several spray bottles but the best one I have found is sold at the farm stores(rural king). It is sold in the section where they sell fly repellent for horses and the bottle has an adjustable tip, not just off and on.  Been using it for 2 years now. It is a little slower to spray in the winter because the fluid is thicker but still works. Before that it was whatever empty squirt bottle I could find, i.e. Windex.  They mostly worked but didn't last for me. I spray down the chains, rails, mast, and give a squirt to any moving parts that don't have a grease fitting and even some that do. Been doing it for 7 of the 8 years I've had the mill. Started doing it because things were starting to get stuck and stiff.
2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

petefrom bearswamp

My wife goes thru lots of spray bottles which I use to lube the mast, up down chain and other non greasable moving parts.
I dont saw in the winter so thickness of the ATF is not an issue.
For the traverse chain I use a small paint brush dipped in a coffee can as my aim with the spray bottle on the single chain leaves a lot to be desired.
The bottles last me 2 to 3 months the paint brush virtually forever.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

terrifictimbersllc

Spray bottles don't last with atf, you have to keep getting new ones.  Eventually you take the lid off and pour it onto a scrub brush for  a while.

Regular oil can works great for masts (put some on the top it will run down) and in/out guide chain, if you can keep it from being broken in the back of the truck.

pouring it on a scrub brush works great for feed & up/down chains and getting some on the mill rails.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I had no success reusing household cleaning bottles, etc.  I have done real well with a spray bottle from Home Depot.  They last a couple of years.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

this will sound crazy, maybe lazy, but the best one I have found to date has been an empty bottle of scent-away, been going on three years now, won't mention why I had to do this ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Quotebeen going on three years now, won't mention why I had to do this

No need to mention it, as we have good imaginations to fill in the blanks.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Now I'm confused ;D but to clear the air, I've used the bottle three years, not waited to lube three years, ;D  cold air does slow the flow,,a splash of diesel helps here when it's below freezing.  the wind seems to be the worst enemy on drying out the wear pads,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

caveman

I use a one gallon pump up sprayer like you can purchase at the home centers.  The one we have been using has lasted for several years spraying/dripping ATF.  The chains, mast and everything can be sprayed in a minute or so.  We keep one of the small spray bottles on the mill with diesel in it to clean the blades when they get a lot of pitch on them.
Caveman

caveman

I use a one gallon pump up sprayer like you can purchase at the home centers.  The one we have been using has lasted for several years spraying/dripping ATF.  The chains, mast and everything can be sprayed in a minute or so.  We keep one of the small spray bottles on the mill with diesel in it to clean the blades when they get a lot of pitch on them.
Caveman

addysdaddy

So.. Big time newbee question here... The manual for my new LT-10 says use dextron III to lubricate the mast... Been there done that... Problem is when you start the engine and engage the head it vibrates itself down the mast... Had to clean every inch with brake cleaner to get the dextron III of it so the clamp would hold.. Was I reading this wrong or do you lubricate when you finish sawing and clean before starting... or is this for those larger mills which have some sort of chain/etc height adjustment... Blades cost too much to stretch like that for fun.....
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

drobertson

It just takes a thin coating to keep things running smoothly.  Is there an adjustment for your clamp?  I've never paid much attention to this mills head clamp so just a thought. 

Chuck White

There must be a brake, lock, clamp, etc to hold the sawhead in place and needs adjustment or repair.

ATF on the mast shouldn't cause the sawhead to drop as you indicated.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

addysdaddy

applied an extremely light coat as this was the first coat and no rust yet on new machine. The clamp worked fine when the mast was dry and when I cleaned off the dextron III it worked fine again... I adjusted it to try tightening it enough to hold but no luck... it would continue to vibrate down almost 1/2 inch once the blade was engaged... Guess i'll just have to keep it clean and dry for now...
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

drobertson

With all the lt-10s' out there I'm quite surprised no one has responded, even the sponsor,  I would contact a rep for sure on this,,

Thank You Sponsors!