iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Truck garage ideas and thoughts?

Started by Firewoodjoe, March 13, 2015, 05:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Well its spring and not only do I want to finish my garage but now that I drive and maintain a log truck I want to add on. It's curantly 32 foot long with 14 foot door. The log truck itself (just the lead) is 42 foot without the hood open. The lead and pup is about 72 foot without the hood open. Id like a 80 foot garage but the added cost has me considering just 48-56 foot. But I know there will be times I won't want to separate the truck and pup. What would you do?  What do you have now for trucks equipment?

beenthere

Wander back into the archives and try to find member @ARKANSAWYER  posts where he had a very unique (IMO) plan for building a shed that was easy to add on to as time allowed. Some misfortune hit Arky and he lost his mill, and now believe he is in KS.

But pictures may be in his gallery.  May not be what or how you want to do this, but you can decide.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Firewoodjoe

Thank you beenthere I believe I found that thread and yes it is a lot of info but not really what I'm looking for. I'm hoping someone else with a standard pole building nothing fancy that has had a similar problem with can use room but don't have to have it. Which direction did you go big or smaller? And if you wish you had did differant or could have made the second option work? Also someone that has worked on large trucks or equipment that could shed some light on hood open room and parts and tool mobility space? Now I don't plan on being a full time wrench but like function. I'm (and the wife) are leaning towards adding on 16-24 foot and trying it out. It is a post and truss building so adding on would be as simple as taking tr end wall down and add post. Like I'm doing now. Sorry for the story book here😁 thank you for reading.

1countryboy

Bigger is always better!  How wide is your garage.  ((tools, welders, touches, and more tools take a lot of space.  Remember, you need space to move tools around when u are taking off and replacing parts.  My shop is 32 by 48 (radiant floor heat) and the unheated is 48 by 66.  I have drive thru doors on part of the shop.   Minimum height 16 ft.  Overhead doors are needed if you intend to work in during cold winters to seal out the cold.  Shop online and look at what different companies offer in building design.  Good luck and think it thru with some scale model cutouts and graph paper.
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

lopet

Member woodhauler built one just about a year ago. I am sure he's got some ideas and knows how to do it or how not to do it.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Corley5

X2 on "bigger is better"  Too much space is never an issue ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

timberjack 240a

Make sure its big enough that you will have enough room on the sides for pulling axles and such. Its a real pain when you have to spend an hour moving things around before starting work.
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

Firewoodjoe

The main floor bay is 24 now so that's what it will be. Should be plenty for one truck bay.

BargeMonkey

Unfortunately whatever you build is never enough. Our shop has a 28x32 addition with a 12' door and we just squeak a 644 in there, forwarder is tight. We have a new 40x80 for storage above with 3x 14x14 doors and thats usually full pretty quick. Poured floors are optional, i would put up the most building you can afford the 1st time.
570-726 3816  Dream Builders in PA is who we have dealt with and they ship building kits all over if thats what your looking for. They are doing another 40x80 for us once the snow is gone and the price complete and standing is alot less than you think.

nk14zp

24' wide for one truck bay is ok but for your truck pup combo make it 100' long.  That will be a good start.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Firewoodjoe

I'd love to go big but we're going to go with 56 foot I think. It's not my truck and it's only for general matainence and minor repairs.

gspren

In my area zoning laws and building restrictions have gotten ignorant, 400 Sq ft and up need rain water retention and when you hit 1,000 Sq ft you hit another set of rules and inspections so I have multiple buildings the last one is 22 X 45 which is 990 Sq ft with a 14 X 14 overhead door.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

xalexjx

if you have a truck and pup combo and you can only fit truck in you could make a plywood setup and close door to tongue of trailer and have pre-cut pieces to set under doors.
Logging and Processed Firewood

Firewoodjoe

Xalexjx that is my thoughts. The door is two peice sliding so I can just make the over lap larger and close it on the pintle hitch.

Thank You Sponsors!