iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10' X 12' Frame

Started by jander3, July 26, 2015, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander3

I finally got around to finishing up this winter's project.    This project is a 10' x 12' gazebo made from 8" x 8" White Pine.  Today, we test fit the timbers, hauled them over to my son's house, and staged the timbers for raising.   We will, likely, raise the frame next weekend.

Checking the posts; making sure they fit the plates.

Pulling a joint tight with a truck strap.

Parts loaded up to haul to my son's house.

Drilling some holes for pegs. I just started using a Wood Owl bit.  Man, it works well.

Checking to make sure everything is square.

Whacking in some pegs.

First bent in place; ready to lift.

Second bend in place; ready to lift.

Knee braces fit up well.

Jon and Corey.

BCsaw

Looking good!

Can't wait to see it up. ;D Joinery looks great Jander.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

rasman57

Very nice!   Did you mill the timbers or have them done?  Looks like you put a great deal of planning into the project.  Following this build!

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for sharing, as mentioned, "looks good"....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

rasman57

I purchased these timbers from a local mill.  They were $650 for 1000 board feet.  I have about 1000 board feet in this frame (including the 3" x 5" rafters).  I went north today and picked up my rigging, so we should be good to raise this frame on Sunday.

beenthere

Jon
How is the cabin, and how was the trip back in to get your rigging? Holding up well?

Look forward to your Sunday raising.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jander3

Beenthere,

The Stump Ranch is great!  Today, I hauled in an antique apartment stove that I had converted to propane.  I have an ice block fridge in the garage ready to go to the Ranch (couldn't manage it by myself, I will bring it next trip when I have another set of hands).   

However, the Horseflies are insane!   It is crazy, the wood ticks start to die out and the Horse Flies get viscous.  I was glad to pack up and head out.   I have a trip planned for a week or two in September;  during that time, I will to start on a tractor shed/workshop.

jander3

Today,  I spent the day with my son Corey; we rigged his 10' x 12' timber frame into place.  I had a great time as Corey has helped me rig things in the past, this time, it was his show.  I helped him and he did a fine job.  It took us about 10 hours and we only got on each others nerves for about 10 minutes.  Great day!

To manage this job we needed the following:
1 Chain fall - 1 ton
1 5/8" block and tackle set up (2 blocks - double sheaved) - Booming the shear
1 3/4" block and tackle set up (2 blocks - double sheaved) - Standing up the 2nd bent

Note: the 5/8" and 3/4" just happen to be the rigging I have on hand

1 Safety rope (tie that baby off, it prevents inadvertently pulling the shear over backward)
1 rope to lash the timbers together
2 slings for the top of the timbers (1 - for the chain fall, 1 - for the boom set up)
1 sling to anchor the block and tackle used for booming
1 sling to anchor the block and tackle in the woods
We used a couple of shackles to anchor the rigging; however, since we were short on height we connected the chain fall directly to the the slings (without shackles) to get maximum reach
We used 2 16' green treat timbers from Mendards as the lifting shear.  We really needed 2 30' spruce poles from the woods

Lashing 2 - 4" x 4" 16' poles together for a lifting shear.  Using 16 footers was a pain as we had to move the shear three times to get the frame up.  If we had two 30 footers we could have done the whole operation from one spot.  However, the only 30 footers in the neighborhood belong to a local doctor and grow in his front yard.  I'm thinking if I went after them with a chainsaw, well, it would be bad.

Rigging installed.  A one ton chain fall for lifting and a double sheave block and tackle that will be used to boom the shear.  In this case the blue rope is 5/8".

Pulling the shear into place using the block and tackle installed for booming. The block is tied off to my truck in the driveway. 

Lifting a bent.  Used the chain fall to get her started, then pulled on the boom rope to pull her into place. With a double sheave on the boom, one man can handle it easy.  Notice the stake and board driven into the ground behind the shear. This prevents the foot from sliding out.

Installed some bracing after checking everything was plumb.  This frame is free standing, so we nailed some green treat to the bottom of each post so that when we stood them up everything would be level.

For the second bent, we had to attach a second block in the woods, we used a  3/4" rope run through a double sheaved block.  We attached the lifting shear to the tie beam and got her started going up, then we used the second block and tackle to stand her up.

Started her with the chain fall, then pulled her upright with the block and tackle in the woods.

Bracing is good!

We had to move the lifting shear to the side to lift the first plate up on the frame.

Lifted the first plate up on the tenons (by hand, again, longer lifting shear and we could have eliminated this aspect) and banged her into place.  Right about now, I was very glad I spent the time test fitting as if the timber didn't fit it would cost me 2 or 3 hours to recover.

Set the ridge in place so that we could fit up the kings and install after we got the second plate on the building.

Boom rope tied off. To boom the shear, untie from the tree and boom with double sheaved pullies and friction, it is a one man job.

Ridge installed.   A bunch of fiddle farting around cause we had to guide it with 16' poles. 

Very nice to have Corey on the job, he is 1/2 my age and 3x more agile which really speeds things up.

Frame installed.

Jon & Corey

We still need to drill the tenons and peg things into place. Next weekend, maybe, we will install rafters and roofing.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for sharing and it was great to see two smiling faces.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

BCsaw

Very cool! ;D

Kind of tight quarters for the raising. You guys managed though. Nice to see it standing.

Thanks for the update.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

clww

Great build by you two. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jander3

Added some 3" x 5" rafters...we cut birds mouths and used timber screws

Thank You Sponsors!