iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small log construction

Started by 69bronco, April 18, 2016, 06:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronco

I have a pile of small white cedar logs that have been cut for 2years. I'm thinking of using them to build a small, probably 10x20 guest house. I can probably get 5" sawn 2 sides out of them. Having no experience in log building, my questions are: can I get away with just screwing the logs together with timberlocks? I know there will still be a little movement, would the screws end up holding the logs apart when they shrink? If I run short and need to mix in some fresh cut logs, would it be better to use the green ones toward the top? I appreciate any advice.

Fundyheather

I know nothing about timberlocks, but have spiked 5" material together down onto cheap foam sill gasket (1/4"?) to pretty good effect.  Used 8" spikes staggered about every 2', slammed the spike head down with the ball on a ball peen hammer about 3/8" below flush.  My theory is that sawing away much of the sapwood to get the 5x5 cuts your shrinkage enough that this kind of works.  I also use a particular mostly circular-sawn joint with a 1"x1" tenon on the ends.

I see other people drill through about 3 courses, insert threaded rod, or pound dull rebar down through there.  That may be the better way to go about it for a more major building, and might be a good plan for yourself, someone else can advise.

I'm guessing the new green stuff would be better at the top, as it would there have less building to 'let down.'   

sbishop

When I built my log cabin I used rebar, short pieces. I would drill half way thru the log below and hammer in a precut piece of rebar and also I could counter sink it about an 1". Cabin is going strong 10 years now!

Sbishop

Thank You Sponsors!