iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Lyme Timber out of NH bought out the Weyerhauser and Hancock lands here in the UP over the winter.   

The Weyerhauser part has had many names over the last 20 or 25 years.  Mead, MeadWestvaco, Plum Creek, Weyerhauser and  now Lyme.

Same with all the commercial timber holders.  They are kind of a revolving door up here with a name change every 5 to 10 years.

Nebraska

barbender

Hey 1270n good to see you here! How have things been in the U.P.?
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

Kind of a warm, wet winter but it turned out pretty decent.  We are shut down now with mud, full mills and road postings.  

Skeans1

A little bit of export thinning of the understory of this 60 year old stand of Doug fir, al is setup for a grapple cat because of the weight of the logs.
1270g h415 Long log thin
https://youtu.be/OLwzJd3euQU

BargeMonkey

Few hours tomorrow and done on this one. 

The problem with a stroker is she LIES to you... 😂 only looks like 5-6 load... keep railing wood up. Had someone stop today and want to buy her, I'm kind of torn, that 320C in Quebec seems nice but boy she is still a good machine. 

Not a bad pile for a weekend. 1,000 full cord in my yard here soon, about 400 right now, wont take long. 

barbender

Watch out that high voltage line doesn't give you a little spark on the lips😁

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on March 29, 2020, 09:54:45 PM
Watch out that high voltage line doesn't give you a little spark on the lips😁
If I got within 30ft of that I wouldn't live to know it. Pictures are hard to tell, that's 200ft up, I couldn't hit it holding a tree with the loader all the way up if I wanted to. 😂 

Had DEC here last week, the problem bear was over in the woods here. Then some local turned me into DEP for smoking the hemlock, guess they aren't happy about seeing the section 8 hood get put in 😂 

barbender

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on March 29, 2020, 10:51:47 PM
You get a lot of visitors, it seems😂
The last one was a little tense till we figured out who exactly each other was. See this guy on the hill taking pictures, right now due to the #rona "strapped" is a good way to put it. People cant mind there own business, guy down the road threw a fit when he heard I was cutting the job. Hammered 😂🤘

treemuncher

I cut a bunch of these larger trees before I mulched them up. I guess that counts as to "what I'm currently cutting?" 

I had a short little clearing job for a sewer right of way this past week. Lots of heavy growth in this one section with some big maples, gums and poplars. Numerous trees 20"+ that were in the corridor. It was wet and nasty at the start but getting the air flowing through it helped dry it out much faster. It's a shame I can't find someone to carry off the decent logs rather than me doing the magic show and making them disappear into thin air. But then the mulch does stop any erosion until the digging begins.

Smaller trees and easy drops already taken out by this first pic. I got a little more air flowing to start drying out the 12"-24" of mud I was dealing with in this section.

I used the saw to get the precision drops made. This poplar was the biggest in the bunch. 28" bar for reference.

After my magic show is completed, everything has disappeared. The prime contractor can now start digging when ever time and conditions suit them to do so. Meanwhile, the airflow and sunlight will aid them to a faster drying time after rainfalls.

TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: treemuncher on March 30, 2020, 12:15:40 AMAfter my magic show is completed, everything has disappeared.
Do you just grind the stumps down as well?  So they have a little surprise waiting for them when they start to trench? ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

nativewolf

@treemuncher - nice to see a real mulcher on here.  What sort of machine/heads are you running?  We're owned a FAE mulcher/subsoiler but sold it, my carrier was just too small (220HP case magnum tractor).  We're interested in a purpose built machine but it may be a while yet.  

Liking Walnut

treemuncher

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 30, 2020, 02:08:04 AM
Quote from: treemuncher on March 30, 2020, 12:15:40 AMAfter my magic show is completed, everything has disappeared.
Do you just grind the stumps down as well?  So they have a little surprise waiting for them when they start to trench? ;)
Stumps have been chipped down to grade and usually 1" or so below if the surrounding material is soft, like this mud was. The remains of the stump is still there. However, when they do start cutting the trench, they will find that the stumps will break apart much easier as stump cores are rarely more that 8"-12" deep into the soil below area grade. If it is hit at an angle with a dozer blade or pulled from the edges with a Tiger Tooth on a bucket, the stumps will break into pieces fast and easy. Once in pieces, the remaining dirt can be knocked off easier, too.

I expect them to excavate all of this with track hoes. Stumps won't be an issue for them.

Nativewolf: It's a Lamtrac with an FAE head. Factory, it was just under 300 hp. I'll bet money that the engine was tuned prior to my purchase. It pulls better than my Barko 937 most of the time. I just wish it had the float that the Barko has for hidden stumps. I did a major retrofit on the carrier arm to head connection so that the head will contour up to 20 degrees offset from the carrier. It contours the grade exceptionally well and puts much less stress on the carrier with this modification. That allows me to cut lower and leave a better finish quality on my cuts.

This is what the job looked like before I started my cut. You might be able to see some of the flagging marking my boundaries.

TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

dustintheblood

We are just coming off of syrup season and into mud season, so not much cutting going on here for a bit.

Isolation for us is pretty much status quo compared to any other year.  

Evenings I have been watching more of the youtubes than usual, and admit I've seen things I shouldn't.  For example, this fine bozo example of exactly everything one shouldn't do as a "cutter":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL93ffp79hI
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

dustintheblood

Quote from: dustintheblood on April 03, 2020, 08:42:30 PM
We are just coming off of syrup season and into mud season, so not much cutting going on here for a bit.

Isolation for us is pretty much status quo compared to any other year.  

Evenings I have been watching more of the youtubes than usual, and admit I've seen things I shouldn't.  For example, this fine bozo example of exactly everything one shouldn't do as a "cutter":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL93ffp79hI
Perhaps we make this a game to see who can get the highest count of mistakes, dumb moves, safety infractions, environmental messes etc. that we can tally.   lol lol lol
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

thecfarm

At least he used the chain break.  :D
I have been around a few that was never around someone that knew how to cut trees.  :o  I showed them a few things.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustintheblood

You mean the brake for the chain that was so loose it's about to spin off?   :D :D :D

BargeMonkey

Just keep slamming up piles of firewood and pulpwood, forget about cutting good logs 😂 

Finish one job, onto the next. 

Theres a set of 30' steel bridges local, trying to get the guy to sell them, at the point they would be handy. 

I knew when I backed in this wasnt going to be good, slid off making the turn in and started to sink, tried getting out and I was done for. Broke a spring but lucky I didnt do worse, without my legs down she really LEANED over. 

Cant win them all, why I try and avoid selling loglength wood to most people and only feed processors. 

Skeans1

A few on the larger end of the small export size on the butt we can send depending on the sort.

Quebecnewf

So much smaller scale than you guys I don't know if it even qualifies as "logging".

Went in yesterday and cut two sleigh loads of logs . Most likely our last logs for this season . Spring coming in and it's getting mild

Was a slow season for us this year . Bad flu and a accident to my leg meant our log count was down . It is what it is .

Stay safe and take care in this troubled time 

Quebecnewf

olcowhand

Quote from: Quebecnewf on April 09, 2020, 06:02:44 AM
So much smaller scale than you guys I don't know if it even qualifies as "logging".

Went in yesterday and cut two sleigh loads of logs . Most likely our last logs for this season . Spring coming in and it's getting mild

Was a slow season for us this year . Bad flu and a accident to my leg meant our log count was down . It is what it is .

Stay safe and take care in this troubled time

Quebecnewf
Quebecnewf,
I don't think any of us judge (I'm certainly not qualified...) your worthiness as a Logger by your volume. In fact, I think most of us have a great deal of respect (and maybe a little envy?) for the way you execute.
Did your leg injury heal completely? I don't think I read anything beyond the initial injury. Hope everything is good. Stay healthy.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Quebecnewf

Lost a bit of flex in the knee . No limp but putting that sock on in the morning is a challenge. Things could be a whole lot worse . As we look around our world today a bit of stiffness in ones knee is pretty mild .

No Covid 19 in our region this is a time when our isolation is working in our favour. No one coming in and travel between the villages is closed.

Stay safe

Quebecnewf

Bruno of NH

Quebecnewf 
Much respect for your work ethics and logging practices. 
That's getting it done  :)
In my book.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Quote from: Quebecnewf on April 09, 2020, 06:02:44 AMSo much smaller scale than you guys I don't know if it even qualifies as "logging".
That "scale" behind the snow machines looks mighty "logging" to me.  8)

I always look forward to seeing your operation and watching your progress.   thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!