iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meteor piston arrow direction

Started by 421Altered, March 24, 2020, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

i know that this has been answered a thousand times here, but, I can't find the answer when I do a search.  Which direction does the arrow on Meteor pistons go on a Stihl 038 Magnum?  Its been a while since I posted, and I can't find my original thread either.  I'm finally getting around to putting together my Stihl 038 Magnum 2.

ZeroJunk

421Altered

421Altered

I've got another question.  How do you "break in" a chainsaw that one has rebuilt with a Meteor piston, caber rings, and a used Stihl cylinder.  The cylinder appears in good shape.  Also, how do you get the built up carbon out of the top of the cylinder?

sawguy21

Set the mix a little rich for the first few tankfuls and after letting it warm up run it like you stole it. Once broken in you can lean it out a tich for more power but don't overdo it. If properly tuned the carbon will burn off.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

421Altered

Thanks Sawguy, that's what I needed to know!

barbender

When break stuff in, the only thing I avoid is constant rpms and constant loads. With a chainsaw, normal operating accomplished that anyhow as long as you're not milling.
Too many irons in the fire

421Altered

thedoublejranch

What saw guy said. Very important for that warm up. Allows piston to absorb heat and swell along with cylinder, more critical on a forged piston as clearances are greater. This allows piston and cylinder to warm up nice an evenly.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Thank You Sponsors!