iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood truck?

Started by Maine logger88, March 30, 2014, 09:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

I am looking at two different 1 tons both 12ft dump body's one is a mid 80s Chevy 35 with a 4spd and a 350 the other is a ford f350 with a 6.9 diesel and a c6 trans. I'm leaning towards the ford even though I'm a Chevy fan through and through cause I would rather have the diesel and its in much better shape for only 500 more than the Chevy what do you guys think?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Birchwood Logging

I'm a ford guy but the 6.9 was not one of there best engines and the auto trans might give you some problems I would go for the Chevy the 350 is a good motor and the 4 speed should be a stronger trans. If you was closer I got a 91 ford f450 12 foot dump it has a 460 and a 5 speed great little truck will pack 5 tons no problem
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Maine logger88

Yeh a f450 would be great it would be nice to be able to haul 2 cord

timberlinetree

We're with birchwood. They just put a tranny (auto) in the 90 superduty at the sawmill. Think it was around 2500.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Firewood dealer

You may want to check the GVWR for the 450 before you throw two cord on. I know my 550 with two cord on is right at the trucks GVWR. It would be to bad to get an OFFICIAL weigh slip from one of the creeper cops.

EricR

I would go with the chevy as long as its carbureted.  You said mid 80's so you should be fine, but the early throttle body injection motors where pretty bad in my opinion.  ( I think they started in 87). 

timberjack230d

Between the two, the chevy should be better to start with. I agree with the others about the 6.9 diesel. Fords 7.3 was pretty solid but the 6.9- not so much. Also very underpowered. Good luck. 
Timberjack 230D
Hakki 1x37
Belarus 825 w/logging winch
Stihl 260
Husqvarna 562 XPG
Pioneer Partner 5000 Pro
Rottne Enviro log Harvester

Stephen Alford

Hey Maine Logger 88,  for me the f450, longwheel base, 2 wheel drive,7.3,  hauling 1&1/2 cds  has been very satisfactory. The box is a big part.  Twelve feet long,removable sides, mesh headrack for air flow and attaching stuff, step ups all around,duelplank tailboard and steel bottom. Paying for something is a lot easier when it does the job at hand. Starting has been the biggest problem, has to be plugged in for sure and brushing the snow off  has been a pain this winter.   :D  Good luck with your choice.

logon

nk14zp

On cl in your town is a 3 cord truck.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Woodhauler

Quote from: nk14zp on March 31, 2014, 09:22:11 AM
On cl in your town is a 3 cord truck.
Looks like that gem should go staight to the scrap yard ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

chevytaHOE5674

Why all the hate on the 6.9 diesel on here?

For its time it was a good motor. Its a basic bare bones diesel that you will have very little trouble with. May not be the fastest thing in the world but it will move a mountain if you aren't in a hurry.

I still do all of my hauling with a 6.9L backed by a 5 speed and have hauled 20k on occasion and it always gets the job done.

Corley5

Those old Chevys are tough, parts are plentiful and cheap.  I've got one.  It's an 84 with a 350, Quadra Junk, a four speed and 3.73 gears.  It's a  K30, Dana 60 front axle and all 8)  Hauls two face cord loose or three stacked.  It rarely gets a stacked load but doesn't mind it when it does  :)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Maine logger88

Well I looked both trucks over better today and I think I'm going to go with the ford cause the Chevy is a lot rougher than I originally thought I kind of wish it was better cause I know that 73 to 87 style inside and out due to my 4 wheeling days haha. But the frame is real solid on the ford and I'm real good friends with the owner he offered me a heck of a deal and its only got 79k original miles on it

HiTech

There is a 1976 Ford F-500 $5,500 in Ohio. You can see it at www.littlesfarmsupply.com . It looks to be in real nice shape. That would make a nice firewood truck.

thenorthman

FORD...

The 6.9 is not much different then the 7.3, just different stroke, like a 289-302 same block and pistons different crank and connecting rods, and different glow plugs. Not real spectacular in the HP rating but torque is more then enough.

And while the later Auto ferds have issues the C6 was a stronger tranny.  Just don't overheat the tranny and you should be ok, and as far as the newer ones the torque converter is the problem, just couldn't handle the diesel.

I'm with ya on the diesel thing though, with all this ethanol in gas now, gas pots just don't do as well, and if you let them sit too long you need to rebuild the carb, and replace fuel lines...

By the way, can't stand chevy...
well that didn't work

Stephen Alford

This is just an observation for what its worth.  Speed limits off Island run 100/110km and most folks seem to travel 120km+.  Here the Tc is 90km,  bypass 70km and residental 50km.  The 7.3 dislike for speed probably make them a bit awkward on the highway off island. Thus their resale value is less , making them popular here.   Having all the gear burn the same fuel has added to the simplicity of operation.  One other thing about the duel wheels. Here at least,  once your truck has duel wheels you are required to stop at all scales permanent or portable.  The slower road speed seems to drive visitors crazy.  Looking in your neighbors back yard to see what their  up to is pretty common here. Maybe we are just a tad how shall I say....... 

:D :D :D
logon

Thank You Sponsors!