iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you lost one arm what would you do?

Started by GDinMaine, May 20, 2014, 07:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I spent a lot of time around rehab hospitals with the wife. Some of the things you see are amazing. We saw one little old lady who could tie her shoe laces in a perfect double bow, with only one hand. She would draw a crowd demonstrating...I have trouble using 2 hands  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

JohnM

Quote from: kilgrosh on May 21, 2014, 09:08:02 AM
I'd go ask Logboy how he does all that he does. He runs a swing mill with one natural arm and seems to be doing better than most people with two! .
That was my first thought as well Kil. :)

There's a guy that lives in the area (or did last I knew) and he was missing both arms at the shoulder.  Can't imagine he's still doing it but when I was in high school he was a soccer referee.  Did everything with his feet, take his whistle in and out of his mouth, reach in his pocket for yellow/red cards (that's the extent of my soccer knowledge :D) and he drove a big old Suburban (not sure it was modify in any way but don't think so).  He had/has amazing balance.  I'm always impressed with people that do more than most with 'less'.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

barbender

I also know a gal that was born with no arms, and only one leg. She raised 5 kids, no doubt her husband is a one of a kind as well, as he did a lot to make life easier for her.  She also has the most beautiful "hand" writing you've ever seen, she writes with her foot and does calligraphy.  On a lighter and more practical note, a neighbor is missing an arm, and another fellow in town is missing the opposite arm. They take turns buying gloves :D
Too many irons in the fire

starbits

I saw a video once of a guy born without arms shooting a pistol with his feet.  I thought that was interesting.  Then he popped out the magazine, put the gun down, grabbed a box of bullets and reloaded the magazine with his toes, put the magazine back in the pistol, chambered a round and continued shooting.  I was blown away.  It is amazing what the human body can do with the right incentive and lots of patients and persistence.

Starbits

redprospector

Quote from: barbender on May 25, 2014, 10:10:31 PM
I also know a gal that was born with no arms, and only one leg. She raised 5 kids, no doubt her husband is a one of a kind as well, as he did a lot to make life easier for her.  She also has the most beautiful "hand" writing you've ever seen, she writes with her foot and does calligraphy.  On a lighter and more practical note, a neighbor is missing an arm, and another fellow in town is missing the opposite arm. They take turns buying gloves :D
Haha. Taking turns buying gloves made me laugh. My Dad was missing his right arm, which is the glove I always wore out first. He would just take my left gloves. I asked him once if he wanted to buy some gloves? He said no, I have plenty.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sawdusty1

Sometimes when I go fishing there is a elderly lady with one arm fishing off the bank by the boat landing where I put my boat in.  She puts the cricket between her toes and hooks it.  I always give her all the fish I catch.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

barbender

I often forgot that my grandma was missing an arm, because she really wasn't limiter in her abilities. I remember as a kid, I liked riding with her on trips because she was the best driver. She drove a bit aggressively but confidently, you felt like you were in good hands, or hand as it was. She really was something. I remember when I was trucking, hauling wood, I would see grandma at the gas station early in the morning. She had taken a job driving for the state, working for social services bringing people to Dr's appointments and such. She would ask me where I was hauling, I'd ask her the same :) People would look at us funny, she was an Ojibwe woman, maybe 5' tall, I don't look Indian at all, and I am 6'6" and 275. They couldn't figure out how she was my grandma, I don't think ::)
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

I worked with an ex-fisherman from MA who still had both hands, but was missing about 2.5 fingers from each hand. He would buy new gloves, sit down in the galley and cut the fingers to length and sow the gloves back up. It was creepy,he looked like the penguin from the batman movies out chewing on a cigar on the barge.

Paul_H

We had a guy run our hyd log loader that lost his leg at the hip in a logging accident several years before.He was caught in the haulback drum while spooling line.

Good logger and a good loaderman.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!