iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porch design help....

Started by Mongo, June 15, 2007, 08:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mongo

It's not a timber frame project....although, I guess it could be...hmm... anyway... I plan on harvesting the lumber for the project from my property, so there's the FF tie-in, lol....

I've got a gable type roof on the house and want to add on a screened in porch. Originally I was going to add to the end of the house and mirror the roof line so that it was less of a sore thumb. However I realized that's not going to work due to the placement of my weatherhead/electric meter.

Next choice, come off the back of the house and extend past the end of the house in order to have something 1/2way resembling a view from the porch.
The problem with this is I have a woodshed that is 15 feet from the back of the house. The end of the woodshed closest to the house extends past the end of the house by a little less than a foot (and 15' back of course)

So now I'm thinking about starting the porch about 10-12 feet from the end of the house, extend out to be in line with the woodshed, then go past the end of the house, probably as far as the end of the woodshed. In other words, the woodshed would become sort of a giant closet attached directly to the porch.  The problem is since the house has a gable roof, and the woodshed is a typical A shaped roof, I need some ideas or explanations as to how to design the porch roof to tie in with two other roofs (house and woodshed) that slope towards each other.  Or, would I be better off just to come off the house roof (much higher) and carry that over to the peak of the woodshed.   The problem with that is I'm afraid that would then make the woodshed be considered part of the actual house as opposed to an outbuilding, which would result in all kinds of headaches regarding codes/permits/and worst of all, higher property tax evaluations.

By the way, the building that is in the middle of the photo is the garage which is beyond the far end of the house. Just wanted to  point that out in case it wasn't clear in the picture--that building is irrelevant to the porch design.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Mongo

Ok, finally remembered to grab the camera from the wife's car, kept forgetting about it until she'd be gone, lol. Anyway, original post is modified and pics added, maybe what I'm trying to ask will make sense now. Now I just hope the answers make sense to me  ;D

beenthere

How large a porch are you thinking of? and one with a second story floor, to match the house?

The service entrance could be moved (with some work) if that is where you want your porch.

There is a line with 15' drawn in. Is that end of the shed straight with the end of the house? or is that 15' line at a slight angle and distance between the corners (shed and house) ?

Which direction from the house shown is your view?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!