iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reduced-kickback chain on Stihl MS250 Question

Started by Adam1976, May 22, 2004, 12:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1976

:)  Before we purchased the Stihl MS250, one of the salesmen said it had a reduced-kickback chain on it, and that he "didn't really like them".  When I asked him why, he just sort of shrugged his shoulders and didn't give an answer.  When we returned a few weeks later to purchase the saw, another salesman (the owner) said that the chain gave a smoother cut.  I asked him if the reduced-kickback chain was slower to cut than a "regular" chain, and he said "no".  So, my question is, why did the first salesman say he didn't like a reduced-kickback chain, if indeed (according to the second salesman) the reduced-kickback chain produces a smoother cut, and does not take longer to get the job done?  Though I am very happy with the saw, I would like to know about the chain.  Thanks for info.

Rocky_J

The second salesman is more Politically Correct. For your situation and experience level the safety chain is perfect. There is much more involved with getting a faster cutting chainsaw than simply putting on a chain without the safety bumpers. Most users wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.
 :)

Kevin

Anti kick back safety chain is just that.
It only works when it's rounding the tip of the bar.
It has nothing to do with how smooth the cut is.
He might have meant smoother operating.
The safety chain with the wide rakers are more of a pain to file down and you probably can't use some file guides on them.

Preston

Well Salesman are saleman!!!
I hate the anti-kick chain but is my opion and is good for beginers! and as far as the smooth part well all depends on how you sharpen a chain round or square and on your height of your rakers! Personally i grind the back of the tooth off and then use a carlton file-o-plate for my rakers and that gives me a good smooth cut and I also have a square chisel grinder to top it off but thaats getting a little too perfected but thats how i am! I don't have patients for a dull chain!
Preston

slowzuki

It is impossible to plunge cut with safety chain, but you shouldn't be doing that starting out anyways!
Ken

Hunter

Rocky is right on the money. If this is your first saw or you have limited experience with a chainsaw, then the Safety chain is perfect for you.
Please dont take me wrong, You may want the full chisel non safety chain, but burn 30-40 tanks of gas through the saw and then get a full chisel chain.
No matter what chain you run, Keep it SHARP.You might want to read some of the post and ask some people with a good knowledge of sharpening a chain. That will make the biggest differance in your saw.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Thank You Sponsors!