iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley Edger

Started by highpockets, December 07, 2005, 05:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks for the info Ron , thanks for the pics Kevin !  That is slick with a conveyor like that . I see those conveyors in many styles offered on ebay and they are always in high demand but that sure looks like the ticket . Sawing dimensional lumber will be a breeze this spring now. I have not used the edger except for one project a long time back but I am going to put a roll conveyor on for sure. Good luck highpockets and hope to see some pics someday of boards coming out of your edger . Merry Christmas
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

highpockets

Yes, Kevin the conveyor is nice. I have a friend in Jacksonville Fl that brought me a set of those on a deal that streaches out for unloading boxes off 18 wheelers. My friend Billy saw it and wanted it for his table saw. This guy in Jacksonville has another if anyone is interested.  Doesn't Tom live there also?
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

woodhick

Highpockets, did you get the manual?  I was a couple of days late getting it in the mail but it should be there by now.  Hope you get it running.  I may recall a favor someday after seeing  your post that you are a mchinist.  i recently bought a small metal lathe but have limited knowledge of metal work as I have always worked wood.  As it goes now I may never have time to try it out anyway. :D
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

highpockets

woodhick,
I got the manual, thank you very much.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Coon

highpockets, have you got the verdict yet??  I am quite interested in this post as I have most parts needed to build an edger this winter in the shop.  That is if I can find the time and I am sure that I will make some.  Edger would save me alot of work and time rather than doing it with the LT40HDG24. ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

highpockets

Coon,
I got he manual and now understand what I had a question on.  This old edger is one that belongs to a friend of mine. I seem to be working for him all of the time (no pay).  He bought this edger from a guy who bought it new and never ran it. The guy left it out in the weather and it needs some tender loving care.  The feed roller pulleys were rotted off it. I bought a couple of them from the manf.  The input spurs seem to have seen better days. I may machine some if these do not work. I think they are about $20.00 each from the manf. 

I have skads of 40 and 50 pitch sprockets and some of these may work.  I had a friend of mine in Shreveport call me one day and he had gotten a No 3 washtub full of small sprockets in a bunch of scrap.  I got the all for $20.00.  Should you or anyone else need small sprockets, I may have some.  Also feel free to email me.   
Louisiana Country boy

DragonsBane

Highpockets,

That Wisconsin TJD you have is rated at 16.8 hp @ 3600 Rpm. 3 1/4 in. bore and a 3 in. stroke. they were built from 1968 on and I do beleive they are still made today. Parts are readily available for it if you would need them. Wisconsin engines are pretty tuff so it will run for ever if properly cared for. I have a half a dozen 4 cylinder Wisconsins in my basement in various states of repair. After sitting for 30 years the cylinders. crank and all the internals look like the day they came from the factory. Good luck

later,
Mike
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

highpockets

Dragonsbane,

Thanks for the info on the winconsin. I was not sure what h.p. was in the particular engine. I did buy a manual on Ebay but it has not gotten here yet.  Yes, I love a wisconsin.  I am now almost 61 but when I was about 13 I got my hands on a single cylinder Wisconsin.  I built a go-cart and used a 1 1/2 ton dodge transmission layed on its side. It would do 55 in third.  My friends motor cycle (little Allstate) would only run 55 so we never knew what the thing would do in fourth but it would haul the mail.  I have a friend with two V4's and I am bad wanting to get my hands on one of them.  Perhaps all of my work on his sawmill will warrant one of the engines.  thanks.
Louisiana Country boy

sandman2234

Highpockets,
   Thanks for mentioning the conveyer, as this looks like a good use for it.
        I have seen you and that edger, and that old edger looks a lot better than you ever did, dispite it sitting out in the rain half it's life. It just doesn't do as many nice things as you do.
    As far as being a machinist, you make the grade. I have seen worse that call themselves tool and die men. However I think you make a better friend, so that is where I think you will stay.

David from jax

highpockets

Thanks David,
Welcome to the forum. You'll find some good folks here. 

Coon,

I was reading over this thread and in December you mentioned building an edger.  Well we need a little progress report.  As for me, I have the Winconsin Engine about ready to fire up I think.  I haven't gone over and picked up the actual edger yet. Been working on the sawmill, building a blade shapener, scrapping out two cottton pickers, plus doing some custom cnc plasma work.   
Louisiana Country boy

isassi

Great thread..any of you guys see a dead edger needing rebuilt, like an old Belsaw, keep me in mind.  I want and need one.... ;)

sandman2234

Probably won't find a used edger of any kind laying around here for 200 miles, ole Tom has pretty much got his ear to the ground around here, and kept the pickens slim.

Highpockets,  I am surprised you don't use one of those international motors to run the edger. No chance of it stalling one of those out.  Especially if you used the hydraulics, for varible speed.
  David from jax

highpockets

Joasis,

If you want an antique edger check out Ebay  Item number: 7589163227

Tom missed this one, or maybe it is Tom's
Louisiana Country boy

isassi

Wow, what a machine...I missed seeing it and I scan e-bay weekly,.....I think I will pass though.... ;) and look for a little more recent model, like one built in the previous 75 years....seriously, I think this guy must be related to the 5000 dollar walnut tree. :D

highpockets

Woodhick and others,

I just wanted to bring you up to date on the foley edger.  I finally got around to bringing it to the shop yesterday.  Woodhick was kind enough to send me a copy of the manual but it was in the house.  The issue of which way the blade rotated as to which way the feed rollers were turning was still bugging me.     Finally it dawned on me that they could be using a double sided belt to reverse rotation.  As they say
"a blind hog will find an acorn every once in a while ".   Now for mounting the engine, etc.

Louisiana Country boy

Kevin_H.

Our edger does run a double sided belt for the front and rear feed rollers, But I have no idea what the part # may be on something like that.

The # should be listed in my owners man. if you think it uses the same size

If you want a pic of the configuration let me know
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

highpockets

Kevin, thanks but Woodhick sent me a copy of his manual and I ordered the parts today. 

Unclebuck you posted a photo of your edger with a 2 cylinger wisconsin but stated you changed it out for the 4 cylinder.  The (two cylinder) engine you had looks exactly like the one I had planned to use.  Did you ever run it on the edger. 

This edger has the insert blades (2 ea.) and we most likely will not run anything over 2" lumber.  What do youall think?

Louisiana Country boy

Thank You Sponsors!