iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

price for hemlock delivered

Started by alanh, March 11, 2020, 03:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

I have a logger friend who is into a nice stand of hemlock that I told him I could use 16 ft`ers. He said he`ll bring them, said "pay me what they`re worth" I`m not sure what the going rate is., I probably wouldn`t have a problem selling the lumber at 1.50 off the mill for the 16`, also not sure if that price is correct. any input from fellow New englanders?
 Update, I just found Old greenhorns thread, seems 250., 300. for the logs, how about the lumber price?

WV Sawmiller

Sounds like a good way to lose a friend if you guess wrong. I'd have an agreement with him before he brought the logs and if you find out they are worth more you can always pay him more later. If he thinks you stiffed him...
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Durf700

I just asked a long time local Sawyer last week when I picked up my sharpened blades what he pays for hemlock. I'm from upstate NY 20 minutes from Utica. He told me he pays 30 cents per board foot delivered to him or 10 cents standing and he will cut and haul. 

alanh

richhiway

Here is a vermont mill that keeps a current buying list. Also search "stumpage reports" your forestry service should have a seasonal price list. 

The log prices are delivered to the mill. The prices are for perfect logs. You have to deduct for any defects.
Measure the small end of the log inside the sap ring. 

I am in NY and picked up a bunch of pine about 2 miles away that was on the ground. I paid .20 cents for it.
I get a dollar a board ft. Be nice to get 1.50. 

http://northeasttimberexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/NTE-LLC-Mar-01-2020-Saw-Log-Prices-and-Specs.pdf
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!