iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tiny timber frame office

Started by tafollaj, December 28, 2023, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tafollaj

Hi everyone, I am laying out my timbers, planed and squared for a small 9'x13', 12' tall office/studio with small loft. I'd like your thoughts on whether such a small timber frame requires as many braces as I have added, or more. I have placed them to keep the opening on the left front clear for large glass/door. I'm using 6x8, 6x6, and 6x4 pine (I believe it is ponderosa, from California Sierra foothills), though after being planed they are more like 5.75x7.75, etc. This will be my first building, so would appreciate a more experienced perspective. The overall size is dictated by not needing a permit for this size in LA County. Thanks for looking!
Al

Jim_Rogers

You only need two braces per plane. So, I'd drop the two lower ones as you have nice ones at the top of the posts going to the plates in the front and back wall.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

Jim, following what you said, could he also eliminate the center loft braces and open up the middle area?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 29, 2023, 10:00:23 AM
Jim, following what you said, could he also eliminate the center loft braces and open up the middle area?
No, you need all other braces in pairs. All the tie beams need braces, normally.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

tafollaj

Thank you Jim! It looks cleaner without those lower braces, and it'll save me time.

scsmith42

Looks nice but sure seems like it needs more headroom....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tafollaj

It sure does need more headroom, but then the loft will be too tight. I'm 5'10" so I'll avoid bumping my head. I've got enough lumber for a couple more after this one, so I may adjust on the others, or go with a totally different design.

Don P

I've not seen them kick but that clause in our code reads single floor, 10' max eave height, and actually light frame construction is also in there. Do read and know that section, each state seems to have modified it to their liking. On square footage ours bumped up to 256 a few years ago, the "model" code all the states (except WI) start with reads 150 sf. And then they write and pass whatever each state approves of. Anyway, do understand what Caesar wants.

For bracing, thought exercise... you do not show the claddings and openings and associated framing. Depending on what those are and how it is done, that is what is doing the bracing. Plywood panels or diagonal boards are going to attract and resist the load long before the TF braces. Basically with sheathed walls, floor and roof you have a braced frame. Then, that was an aesthetic question  :).

tafollaj

Thanks for the reminder to double check requirements. Less than 120 ft2, 12 ft tall, and 24" roof over hang is all good. I don't know if they would consider the "loft" as floor space, but as long as the outside dimensions don't exceed requirements, I'll go for it.

Sod saw

Our building inspector here has the cut off point at 100 square feet and not attached to the ground ( no footing etc. ) for a small building with no building permit required.

"Shed" is one word to describe them.

Our kiln is way too big to fall into that category so it is on a trailer frame and can be as big as necessary.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Don P

A kiln is a piece of agricultural equipment. He can check the electrical hook up.
If your laws exempt a tobacco barn, they also exempt your lumber drying and workspaces. My crop is simply on a longer rotation.

Zoning might just say you're in a no farm zone!

Thank You Sponsors!