iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain width

Started by Mike_Barcaskey, September 01, 2006, 11:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

the other day, while milling on our Logosol, a couple of us had this discussion.
Normally we run a Stihl 66 with a 3/8" Low Profile Ripping Chain. I believe the kerf cut is 1/4". Well that saw started coughing and died, so we put on my 660 with a normal 3/8" ripping chain, whose kerf cut is I believe 3/8".
There was a marked difference in the force needed to push my chain down the log. So the 1/4" kerf chain is more efficient, cuts faster, easier.

My question is why is the 3/8" kerf cut chain the "standard" chain. if the smaller kerf cut is more efficient, why do we use the larger chain?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

footer

I could be wrong, but I think it is because a high horsepower saw can brake a narrower chain a lot easier.

Kevin

I would agree with that, a smaller chain would heat up quicker most likely get hotter than a larger chain with more metal thus being more prone to breaking.

4woody

Hi Kevin what kinda mill do you have

Raphael

I'd have to double check but I think the sprocket that comes w/ the 660 may have one less tooth than the sprocket supplied for use on the mill, I do know it's smaller in diameter so it's not giving you the same torque.  To really compare the two profiles fairly you'ld have to run each on the other sprocket, but in clean wood the low profile will win either way.
  The low profile ripping chain is faster and smoother but it's also running pretty much at it's stress limit on a 24 or 25" bar, anything longer and you'll want the standard profile.
  I've found that when it comes to felling the standard profile works better with wedges (especially after you've shaved the wedge's leading edge dropping the previous tree).  When in cross cutting mode the extra kerf is less of an issue and durability becomes more important, it takes more grit and grime to dull the standard chain.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Kevin

4woody;
I have an Alaskan chain saw mill and a Wood-Mizer LT-15 manual mill.

4woody

Thank you i have a timber jig some stuff i welded up a16" 20" 37" bars & 930 jhonson & still 044 i have cut a nuff for a deck & kichtion floor

4woody

need  help i can  sharpen my chain once  noproblem but 2or3 times an then the wood gets ruff when milling the shop gets ten $ every time i go

Thank You Sponsors!