iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maximum angle for a cardan joint?

Started by Satamax, July 26, 2018, 04:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody. 

If i were to link my winch and Pto with a cardan jointed shaft, what would ne the max angle from the axis of the Pto ? 30° or more? 

Thanks guys. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

You can prob get 30* but you must ensure that the other joint is exactly the same angle in negative plane.   Itll probably have a pretty short lifespan on joints since the needle bearings will be very active.   

Consider a double cardan off the PTO shaft and tilting the winch so that the single joint at the winch end is at zero angle, inline with the winch input.  Tilting down will reduce the overall angle required, say maybe to 20* or so.. And the double cardan will share it across two joints so only 10* each.  Toyota 4wd truck front driveshafts are a good source.  They can be modified to bend quite far. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys. 

Well, on wikipedia, they say 45 absolute maximum. 

But i don't think i'll bother with cardan. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!