iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixed up C4 vs 4WD Tractor - Thoughts

Started by g_man, April 27, 2016, 06:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiway40frank

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 28, 2016, 12:40:30 PM
gman,
I saw that skidder at Pete's in March.One of the reasons it caught my eye was it was the same skidder that was listed on Vt. CL earlier in the winter.It was for sale in a different part of Vermont leading me to believe the current owner purchased it,did some work on it.and is reselling it.Why?,I have no idea.
You do good work and take care of your equipment so I'm sure if you really want a skidder you will find the one that's right for you.I know nothing about skidders but this one would make me nervous.
I too noticed this skidder was posted twice within the last few months. They best bet is steer cleer, it could have been a problem the past owner had repaired it just to sell, new owner used it had the same problem repaired it and is now trying to get rid of it before it happens again. This is just a theory and I like to believe people to be 100% honest but as much of you know using craigslist can be a real easy was to lose a lot of money.

starmac

It could also be the owner bought it, and repaired it to make a buck or two, lots of folks do it every day.
It could also be that someone bought it, used it to do his small acreage and trys to recoup his money, also lots of folks do it every day.
It could also be a total dud, they are also around every day.
The holmes winch is what I would be concerned about, I have had good luck with those I have owned and used on wreckers though.
The 4bt would not bother me in the least, infact I would rather have it than a detroit. I would always rather have too much power than not enough, just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

David-L

Once you use a skidder in the woods you will wonder how you did it with a 4wd tractor. I would find a 200 series Timberjack that is a one step on and off machine. If you are pulling cordwood twitches and on and off the machine alot the Jack is the one to seek out. They are out there, 208, 225, etc. The hercules is a 20k lb winch and very reliable if working right. Good luck and let us know.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

g_man

You guys have given me a ton of help and good advise on this. Thanks. I was originally thinking tractor but do agree now that for a woods only machine the skidder route would probably be better even for my small operation. Now all I need to do is to find one I can justify. He was asking $12,800 for that skidder after starting at $15K a couple weeks ago.

gg

tacks Y

G Man, Saw a couple C5s on CL 1 was 12.5 and the other 7.8k. The one for 7.8 was in Morrill I think, not sure how far from you that is. Goodluck

tantoy

Quote from: grassfed on April 27, 2016, 08:33:16 PM
I think that there is a design flaw with that machine. The winch is mounted in front of the articulation pivot and that seems like a bad idea. Wouldn't the cable length change when going around turns and couldn't that cause problems with a heavy hitch pulled up against the log bumper? Just an observation.
My Garrett 20 is that way, also the 15's.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

lumberjack48

The early Garretts and Treefarmers had the Model 9 Gearmatic behind the seat. When turning the mainline slides back and forth on the main arch spool with no issues.
The only thing i see wrong with this machine is the winch, but then again i guy would have to try it. The winch set up might work very good.
You couldn't get a better motor, the pulpwood special came out with the 100 hp Detroit, same machine.
The price is a little to high, its a $7500. machine. But then again, if everything is tight on it, it is worth the money.
You can't compare this with a tractor for getting wood out.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

HiTech

Skidders are made for the woods...tractors for the fields. Though farm tractors have moved lots of wood. A 100 hp might be a tad much. Most had around 80 hp and some far less. With those original round tube roll cage frames you may find your head hitting the roof if you are tall...especially with a hard hat on. Many put prices on things or say it is only worth this much....I have found it is worth whatever anyone wants to pay for it. These little machines will move wood...you just can't take 10 20" trees with them. lol

motohed

I have watched this particular skidder , floating around craigslist for a long time VT , NH and Me . I would stay away , it does'nt seem to stay with anyone long . I think you can do a lot better for pretty close to the same money . I have personaly seen it attached to atleast four different phone numbers .

lopet

That doesn't sound like  it's a keeper.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

motohed

I just found a timberjack 208D in Troy , VT on Craigslist for 14,000 . I would be checking that out , like others have said easy in and eassy out . Deffinately , leaves you less tired at the end of the day .

Hiway40frank

Back when I was looking for a machine before I starting chopping my f150 into a redneck skidder I was thinking about seeing how low the guy was willing to go on the price and make it clear to him I knew it had been with atleast 2 owners in less than a year, but then I realized what kinda mess I was getting into. Now im saving to get an articulated case trencher 60hp diesel and convert it to a skidder. I found a few for less than 5k and only 1000 hours... Also if you're interested I think its in VT or NY a guy has an old franklin for 7k and its been posted for aver a month. Also a lot of 440s in the area around the same price. Why do people think there skidders are worth so much up here? Down south you see the same machine for 1/3-1/2 the price!

Plankton

Recently it seems there has been a flush of older medium/small skidders on Craigslist in newengland especially in Maine and new hampshire.

I like to think it's guys upgrading not going under but whatever it is you can pretty much have your choice of brand model and condition right now as far as I can see from 10-20k there are alot of nice looking ones. Alot of clark 664 and deere 440s which are good small farm sized skidders.

g_man

Quote from: motohed on May 08, 2016, 08:40:32 PM
I just found a timberjack 208D in Troy , VT on Craigslist for 14,000 . I would be checking that out , like others have said easy in and eassy out . Deffinately , leaves you less tired at the end of the day .

I already have and made an offer. There is a scary amount of oil on the ground under it. Some from the left front axel which oozed out quite a bit more with a little back and forth around the landing and some from the front part of the motor which is totally covered in oil. Took forever to start w/ fresh batteries. Thought he was going to get the ether out but it finally caught. Seemed to be solid and tight other than that. Winch worked good.

gg

Woodhauler

Quote from: g_man on May 09, 2016, 07:03:58 AM
Quote from: motohed on May 08, 2016, 08:40:32 PM

I already have and made an offer. There is a scary amount of oil on the ground under it. Some from the left front axel which oozed out quite a bit more with a little back and forth around the landing and some from the front part of the motor which is totally covered in oil. Took forever to start w/ fresh batteries. Thought he was going to get the ether out but it finally caught. Seemed to be solid and tight other than that. Winch worked good.

gg
I wouldn't offer more then 7500 for it. Sounds like a motor job is in the makings here!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

motohed

The good thing about it , is those little 353's are one of the cheapest motor rebuild you will find , and new axle seals are'nt bad either . If the center pins are tight and the transmition and winch work good . You should be in good shape , I would rather put some money into that then mess with the other one . It looks pretty strait from the pictures . I would gets some estimates on repairs you need done , to get an idea of total cost . My guess would be about 5000.00 tops for everything will a complete rebuild and the axle repair . Timderjack is one of the cheapest to fix . The John Deere and Cats will be way more .

motohed

I don't think I would pay over 10,000 maybe 11,000 depending how good the rest of it is and the only reason I would pay that is because of the easy in and out access . JMHO

Woodhauler

Quote from: motohed on May 09, 2016, 07:50:36 AM
I don't think I would pay over 10,000 maybe 11,000 depending how good the rest of it is and the only reason I would pay that is because of the easy in and out access . JMHO
So you would pay 11 for a skidder that needs 5000 in work?  Then you got 16,000ina 10000 dollar skidder. The shape of the woods industry, he will find a nice running skidder for 10-12 grand.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

motohed

I just said the only reason I would go that high is for the ease of use of the timberjack , and chances are anyting you buy your going to have to put money in . That being said , I could do all the work my self and spend maybe 3,000 grand . The price I said would probly be high . I haven't seen a skidder yet for the price range your tallking about that does'nt need something . No harm , No foul .

Woodhauler

No problem, Just think he should keep looking. A nice older 225 or a 208 if one shows up.

motohed

brendonv

What model tj is shown in this video?  It looks nice and small

https://youtu.be/Yz3wDxh9XYQ
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Woodhauler

Quote from: brendonv on May 09, 2016, 11:22:21 AM
What model tj is shown in this video?  It looks nice and small

https://youtu.be/Yz3wDxh9XYQ
Looks like a 225 with a cummins or a john deere motor. My buddy I truck for has one he put a john deere motor in.

David-L

225 or a 230 with a Cummins or JD would be very nice. That one in troy could eat 5k up quick.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

road_monkey

my little 225 is only 7 1/2' wide with 16.9x30 tires. that's why I wanted it. these little ones are hard to find. when you see them listed on craigslist for less than 15K, the ad usually deleted in just a week or two. I searched craigslist for a year before I bought mine.............from my neighbor. LOL

Thank You Sponsors!