iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 240 tire size for in snow

Started by 62oliver, January 23, 2018, 11:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62oliver

My 240E has 24.5x32 tires with chains all around. It is horrible in the snow, I'm guessing because the tires are too wide and want to run on top.
  If I get in snow a couple feet deep it wants to spin down and start bouncing around and I gotta slowly creep it out, once I have a trail packed its not too bad. They are nice in the summer on soft ground though,  I suppose it is a compromise.
  I'm wondering what would be the idea size tire for year-round use on that machine? Not that I'm gonna rush out and buy new ones, but if anything ever came up I might consider it.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ehp

18.4 by 34 is very common on them, I got 23.1 by 26 and it will ride up abit in deep snow

celliott

See quite a few timber jack 230 and 240's around here with 18.4x34's and we get plenty of snow. Certainly the most common size locally on timber jacks.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

coxy

my ex BIL  had a 240 with 18-4 26 that would go places where mine wouldn't go with new 18-4 34 tires and new chains his tires where may pops and there had to be 50 shackles in each tire chain they where beyond shot but that thing would go   do you have pics of that 240 with 24.5 on it would like to see that  we have a 518 cat with 24.5 and that will go real good in the snow but has a lot more weight to it also that maybe the difference

Firewoodjoe

What kind of chains do u have? Ice chains tend to help u stay up rather then chatter down. We run Deere 648 with 30.5-32 and they will chatter bad unless then have ice chains.

BargeMonkey

I've got 24.5's on my 460C, seems to do ok in the snow but I know what you mean. unless you went to a 28L or 30.5 that's the next step for width. I'm surprised, I know of 1 machine here with 18.4x34, kind of like the odd tires here, 23.1, 28L, 24.5, 30.5 is about all you see, less and less older jacks. I had a pair of brand new ice chains in 18.4x34 and it took about a yr before I found someone semi local who had that tire.

mike_belben

Tall and skinny.  More pounds per square inch forces the snow out from under the tire and thus eventually finds bottom. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Wondering would a set of the tire tracks would better in the snow vs the chains?

chevytaHOE5674

Either need narrow enough to cut thru the snow  (almost impossible in super deep snow) or wide enough to float on top.

Firewoodjoe

I have no experience with tracks but I see some advertise a wider foot print so far everyone on here are saying go narrow. But I know for a fact our 30.5 will go down without chains but chatter. Double diamond ice chains seems to load up and grab. U can just go.

Firewoodjoe

I do agree tall and skinny is better but I'd rather buy chains then 4 tires and wheels. He said he had chains but not what style ring chains for example won't help for what he trying to prevent. We have one set of ring chains left won't buy anymore.

62oliver

It has rings in the front and ice chains in the back. Tires and chains have all seen better days, but will have to do. That machine must be too light for a tire that wide in the snow.

Firewoodjoe

Yeah. Our chains are almost complete solid coverage of the tire. As they stretch they get wider which in return makes more space between that chain.

Firewoodjoe

That is a larger machine with a 35.5x32 but those are the style of chain. Work well in our opinion. But exspenise

62oliver

Skeans1

Another idea might be to fill the tires.

coxy

Quote from: 62oliver on January 24, 2018, 07:05:07 AM
It has rings in the front and ice chains in the back. Tires and chains have all seen better days, but will have to do. That machine must be too light for a tire that wide in the snow.

I thought that would like funny with the 24.5 on it but it looks good  ;D  you would think it would make it under powered with such big tires  :-\  I'm thinking it doesn't weight enough

Green Man

Try breaking trail in the real deep snow in reverse. The back end is lighter and will plow/churn/float but will not dig as much - so less chatter. The tires on the heavy engine end will then be somewhat closer to solid footing and keep you pushing on through.

Thank You Sponsors!