iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New woodlot owner

Started by jwillett2009, November 12, 2011, 09:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwillett2009

Hi all, I just signed up! I've been around quite a bit as a guest getting advice from time to time. I bought a 60 acre woodlot this spring and have been having a blast fooling around with a small chainsaw mill. Thanks for allowing me to be part of the community, I plan to soak up as much knowledge as I can and also share the bit I do know. Nice to meet you all!
60 acre woodlot, 455 rancher husqavarna, MS660 stihl, 196? Massey ferguson farm tractor with three point hitch, Granberg Mark III Alaskan CSM, Sierra 1500

dovetails

Welcome, where do you live?
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jwillett2009.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jwillett2009

I'm in New Brunswick, Canada, about 15 minutes drive to Fredericton.... Also 45 east of Maine. Our main species are sugar maple, yellow birch, beech, white birch, red maple. Also have fir, spruce, eastern white pine, hemlock and popular softwoods.
60 acre woodlot, 455 rancher husqavarna, MS660 stihl, 196? Massey ferguson farm tractor with three point hitch, Granberg Mark III Alaskan CSM, Sierra 1500

jwillett2009

My mill is a Granberg. All power provided by me and my chainsaw. I just finished a few practice runs on a 18" spruce to make some staging planks.
I am going to try some spalting rock maple tomorrow.

D Hagens

Where's New Brunswick ??? :)
Welcome :)

r.man

Welcome JW, my mother's family was from Blackville on the Miramichi. I'm guessing you are southeast from there?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

jwillett2009

South west of Mirimichi... Way, way east of BC lol

thecfarm

jwillet,welcome to the forum.Sounds just about like my woods,but I have red oak. What's all the lumber being used for? How are you getting the trees out?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Sounds like some nice wood working hardwood species for winter projects.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kelLOGg

Welcome. My wife and I have friends in Fredericton - retired from UNB.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

jwillett2009

Yeah, I have red oak too but no mature ones. There are a few hundred small ones in the few acres closest to the house. I will have a nice stand in a few years.
I have a 455 rancher saw and a Massey ferguson 165. I cut a 1/2 ton load including my utility trailer once a week for the studmill to make enough money to feed my habit lol.
I get around $60 for about 10-15 logs between 5" and 16". I use the money I made this summer after fuel and expenses to buy my little mill and buy some better chains and rigging for my tractor.
By doing it that way, I get my own firewood for the house and some wood for projects out of the woods a little at a time and I don't worry about the expenses because theyre buried in the studwood.
So far I've been on my own... I've felled trees the wrong way, misidentified wood, ect. But I'm mostly over that. I've read and experimented a lot! Including lots of reading stuff here. That's why I'm really appreciative to officially be a member now.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum jwillett2009.

This is a great place to hang out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jwillett2009

I cut some spalting maple today and I made some 2 x 10 yesterday. Now I got to figure out if I can sell it. Anyone got advice about how to price maple boards or spruce planks?

Banjo picker

Congrats on being a woodlot owner and welcome to The Forum...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

jwillett2009

Here's a couple pics of me using my mill on a 8 foot rock maple log.

Magicman

You need some sawhorses or something.  I know that my knees could not handle that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

alot of chainsaw millers will use a jack or some means of elevating one end of the log.  with a little incline the mill is much easier to feed.  i learned the hard way  :D 

congrats on the wood lot, sounds like fun.   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

jwillett2009

You're right. I was just experimenting but if I wanted to saw a few at a time I would definitely need some. I found some ideas on here for some stands... But I need to saw the wood, so I'll been on the ground a bit longer.

SwampDonkey

Save some of your maple spalt for turning blanks. I think more would sell as blanks than lumber. Possibly the 2" stuff may sell for mantle wood. Around here it's hard to judge the market, an awfully lot of fellas do their own thing. The fella out on the Nashwaak (Gordan), he would pick up stuff all the time from wood cutters right on the wood yard. I don't know if you knew Art Eastwood, but his nephew is a forester for Irving and he got a bunch of stuff with Gordan over the years. I know of a big huge birch burl they got up at the camp when the block was harvested. I saw it before the woods was harvested, along an old logging road that had grown in. Up at the camp, the sugar maples are full of eye to. I cut a big pin cherry a few years back and Art had it sliced up for lumber. Most pin cherry I see outside of where I live is small limby stuff. I also have black cherry here, but it's full of disease. Although, I have built a few things from it. Almost hard to tell good pin cherry wood from black cherry because both have light streaks in it. PA black cherry has more uniformity.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!