iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

portable mills

Started by mike brown, May 25, 2014, 08:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike brown

i am looking at buying a woodland portable mill, looking for feed back if any one has one. Also i am in nova scotia canada. wondering if there is any one near me that would give me a small demo.
thanks mike

drobertson

Howdy Mike B.  I know very little of these mills, but seems that several here have them, and are quite happy with them, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

mike brown,welcome to the forum. Small scale sawing?
  Will also need a peavey or a cantdog. Logrite has both. There is a place on the website that tells the difference between the two.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kasba

Welcome to the forum Mike
I am fairly new to this forum as well. I just recently bought a Timberly sawmill and very  happy with it. I do not know much about Woodland mills but before I purchased mine I almost bought a SMG Champion. They look like well built and I believe there is dealer in your neck of the woods. I did a lot of homework before I decided on my sawmill, not saying that Woodland is not the one to buy just there are a lot of manufactures out there to choose from that would be the best sawmill suited for you.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mike!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

Welcome to the Forum Mike I have a woodland and real happy with it I built my trailer and am still learning 

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

SawyerBrown

Welcome aboard, cousin Mike.  Glad you could join us and am sure you will get some feedback to your question
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Andy White

Mike,
Welcome to the forum. This place has helped me learn more about sawing than I ever thought there was to know. I have had my Woodlands Mill for two years, and it has done every thing I have wanted it to do. It will cut bigger logs than I can comfortably turn, and does it well. Two things to know, Keep the guides adjusted, and the band sharp and TIGHT!!! The service is first rate, and Neil and Josh will always talk to you if you have a problem, or a question. It is a very stout machine for what I do with mine.       Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

JamieT

I also own a hm126 and LOVE IT! Sorry im not close to you as I also like showing my mill off. Had a guy come look over the weekend  Had him cutting boards in 5 mins. Great mill, exceptional customer service!! Welcome to FF
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Klicker

Timberly mills where being made in NB. I have only seen one in us but I think woodmizer took them over or sells them. What part of N.S. are you in.
2006 LT 40 HD

lee340

Hi Mike  I am new to the forum also. I have an HM126 Woodland Mill, and I do live close to you 20 kms. I live  outside Bridgewater NS.. If you would like to see the mill before you buy one, I would be glad to show you mine. I'm not the best at sawing  but I'm learning slowly.

thecfarm

lee340,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lee340

Thanks thecfarm If and when I get enough lumber milled up I plan on putting a shed up over my mill. It was out last winter covered with a tarp not a great plan. I retired last December  this hobby  mill has been  a dream I've had for years. I have been reading this forum for 2 years now and I'm amazed  at the people that are willing to take the time and help new guys like myself. 

Magicman

Hello mike brown & lee340 and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Welcome Mike and Lee, all bandmills are more or less the same. The more you spend the faster and/or easier to work with. The biggie is band blade management, tension, set and sharpness. A budget mill with a good band will cut better than a top of the line mill with a crappy band. Many mill manufactures on their website have owners manuals, wile not your machine a lot can be learned. Any mill worth owning is worth a roof over its head, especially in snow country. Good luck and a tailwind guys. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Klicker

It is good to see a few more from Nova Scotia on here. I am a couple of hours away on the north shore.
2006 LT 40 HD

Thank You Sponsors!