iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Basal Area

Started by woodtroll, October 23, 2009, 11:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtroll

Actually, I want to look at forest on a stand basis. That may be a hundred acres or as small as 10.
The local forest service uses a general 10sqft of basal area growth/ten years. The stand I used for my cruise is 25-30.
Plus if I make this my self, I know how to run the program, instead of learning a new one. Plus it is a review of the formulas.

PAFaller

How did you make out with all of this. I am interested to see how you dealt with some of the issues you presented in earlier posts.
It ain't easy...

woodtroll

The first stand I looked at with these formulas showed the growth to be consistent with the samples taken. What I mean is the... were thinning it right now. I a can see rings on many more samples and my average is staying the same as the cruise. (That is good to know). It also showed that around 15 years ago it was thinned. That is good because it was. And the math works out that it grew from a basal area of around 80 to its current (pre cut) of 140. The BA level of 80 is the likely stocking it was thinned to, sadly no written record. So I am hoping that I will get at minimum the same growth over the next 10 years. It would be growing at 2.4 sqft BA/year. That is not counting on any boost in the growth rates.
So does this help me? That is what my boss wanted to know. Yes it reassures me of my prescription.  I will not know on the projections till ten years have passed, but this is a starting point.
I know that my current practices have lowered the stocking to below my fully stocked target range, but in 10 years it will start being overstocked. Fifteen years it will be ready for a harvest to drop the stocking again.

Now it it needs to be repeated a few times to check it on other stands.

Of course this is all just numbers, we need the markets to come back.

SwampDonkey

What you did for sampling and math at that stand may only hold for that stand or similar site and cover type. As you do a few more and keep good accounts of the site you get better confidence of the outcomes.  It's a whole lot better than a guess or fly by the seat. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodtroll

That is why I want an easy way of doing this. Take quick data for a specific stand and have the info I need for that spot. Not a generalization over a large expanse of ground with different growing conditions.

Thank You Sponsors!