iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 441

Started by missouriboy, October 26, 2013, 09:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missouriboy

I am thinking about buying a 441 and just wondering how good of a saw they are. Will they run with a 372 and how do they compare to the 372. Will be logging with it running a 24 bar and chain in all kinds of hard wood and cotton wood to. Was going to buy a 372 but the dealers around here suck.

HolmenTree

Go with the 441M-Tronic, similar version of Husqvarna's AutoTune. I heard good reviews of the 261CM M-Tronic also.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sharkey

If you were seriously interested in a Husky you might want to look at a Jonsered.  Same as the Husky just a different color.  If your going to use the saw for production work Terry Landrum had some good prices on a couple of Jonsereds where hot rod porting was included.  He is a member of the forum here and is right over the border from you too.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=11352

sweetjetskier

I ran a 372XT and a 441cm side by side for 2 months.

The 372XT seems more nimble, lighter when in the woods cutting.

The 441cm has smooth power, the plastic makes it seem bulkier, but side by side the 2 saws are not that different in size.

Working off a log pile the 441's torque shines through in bigger rounds.

Dealer support is what you need to look at, my Husqvarna dealers are not very good, whereas the Stihl dealers take good care of me.
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

spinner

I currently have a 362, seriously looking at going to the 441 with 24" bar. Wish stihl made the ultralight bar in 24" model, don't really wanna run a 28".

Komatsu_Mech1

I was tempted to buy a 441 a while back but was soon talked out of it by a friend who is a stihl mechanic and said I would be better served with a 460 due to a heavier more reliable bottom end and more power. while both saws weighed in around the same weight, it's my opinion more power in the same weight is better. Just my 2 cents, but either way stihls are very well built saws.

Grimmy

I got a 441C-M last year to replace my MS390, and I love it.  I also run a 24" bar.  I run it after my arms get tired running my MS660 with a 28" bar, and I can tell the weight difference.  I've been very happy with mine and haven't had any issues.

SPIKER

Quote from: Grimmy on October 28, 2013, 08:48:41 AM
I got a 441C-M last year to replace my MS390, and I love it.  I also run a 24" bar.  I run it after my arms get tired running my MS660 with a 28" bar, and I can tell the weight difference.  I've been very happy with mine and haven't had any issues.

Grimmy   I'm looking at a 660 Magnum with a 28" bar how are they?   This one is used and asking price is 1K for it, from pics it looks like new and bar shows no wear  is a factory bar.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Grimmy

Quote from: SPIKER on October 28, 2013, 08:19:53 PM
Quote from: Grimmy on October 28, 2013, 08:48:41 AM

Grimmy   I'm looking at a 660 Magnum with a 28" bar how are they?   This one is used and asking price is 1K for it, from pics it looks like new and bar shows no wear  is a factory bar.

Mark

I really like mine.  I'm not a business, just cut for myself for heat for winter and for me time is everything.  I got the 660 and it greatly decreased my time I spent cutting.  It does use more gas, but it cuts pretty fast as well, and I don't have to baby it like I had to my ms390.  It just hogs!  I'm not up on pricing and such, but I want to say I was around $1100 for mine, new, so for 1k for a used one, might be worth the little extra to get a brand new one, with warranty and such.  I just did a quick search and found a 660 with a 20" bar, used, buy it now for $800.  Just saying, if it was me, you save a few hundred buying used, or spend a few hundred and get new with warranty.  Just my opinion.

SPIKER

Grimmy

Thanks, I mentioned NEW price you stated and his price is back to 850 now, so maybe I'll offer 750 or so for it and see if he bites.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

White Ash

I have a 441 cm.  I have had no issues with it.  Great saw, if that is the size saw you are looking for.

nmurph

The 441/460/461 debate comes down to whether or not power or vibes is more important. The 441 is smoother. The 460/461 is stronger but vibrates more. A nice compromise is a 7900. Actually, it isn't a compromise in either measure. It is as smooth as a 441 and as strong as a 460/461.

ktoom

Quote from: nmurph on October 31, 2013, 10:20:17 AM
The 441/460/461 debate comes down to whether or not power or vibes is more important. The 441 is smoother. The 460/461 is stronger but vibrates more. A nice compromise is a 7900. Actually, it isn't a compromise in either measure. It is as smooth as a 441 and as strong as a 460/461.

This is true

Fatcougar

Good morning all, first post here. Great site - love the vast amount of knowledge and experience represented on this site.
   missouriboy - I was in the same situation as you are as to whether to buy a 441 or the 461. I visited our local Stihl dealer who is a high volume saw shop catering mostly to the local logging community. Excellent shop, love their service and just plain old helpfulness. I ended up talking to the saw mechanic who is very experienced and is constantly rebuilding and working on these saws. Here is his take on the 2 saws: ( Don't beat me up if you don't like the answer... this is strictly his opinion on the matter)

441 has less power, they are also seeing less longevity with the top end ( specifically cylinder glazing and premature piston wear due to the saw running right on the ragged edge of being lean all the time resulting in higher operating temps), the professional loggers who tested them for the shop did not like the very squishy vibration dampening when trying to keep thier cuts lined up when using very long bars felling the bigger softwood,( saws tended to droop), bulkier back plastic cover, slight changes in the trigger mech that allow it to become jammed with wood particles, somewhat wimpy plastic clips on the rear cover, plastic chainbrake handle on the front thinner and less rugged, and a bunch of other little stuff. Thats not to say it isn't a great saw, just that the guys using them 8 hours a day out here in the woods had a few issues they didn't like and in general really prefer the 461 better.
  So to make a long story short, I bought the 461 R - I really love it so far - lots of power - I get a smile a mile wide every time I run it! Hope this long rambling post helps! :)

Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

HolmenTree

Good post Fatcougar , but seeing your from the PNW where loggers run 32" or longer b/c saws in bigger softwood then the average woodcutter around the globe would cut 8 hours a day, would definitely go for the 461 Stihl with more displacement  and stiff rubber AV mounts.
The 441 is a different breed of animal for a different type of wood cutter.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Fatcougar

Thanks Holmen Tree, good insight into the differences in wood types and how that effects the kind of equipment to be used effectively. I did not realize at first how important things like bar length and type of saw chain, etc can make a huge difference on productivety depending on the type of wood you are working with. Very interesting information... I will keep reading... :P
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

Thank You Sponsors!