iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotten or usable?

Started by prcantrell, June 30, 2023, 09:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prcantrell

I've had to cut down about 20 white ash trees in the yard due to eab infestation, all 20" dbh or larger. I've begun milling into structural timber (4x4 and 6x6 posts, 2x8,10,12 cross members) and have plans to construct a loft for wood storage/drying in the pole barn. I've discarded the obvious rotten stuff, but wonder how to determine whether the remaining timbers are sound enough to carry the load. 

Southside

Were the trees dead or dying when you felled them? If so they are firewood. EAB killed wood is compromised before we see the damaged crown and bark slip, once you see those it's very compromised.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

I tend to agree, ash goes south fast.
Decay has often done serious damage by the time we can visually detect it. Visually you are looking for a blanched "washed out" appearance for the first signs of incipient decay.

The "pick test" is the easiest way. take a fine pick or blade and stick it shallowly across and under some grain. If you have a set of tiny screwdrivers the tiniest flat works well. Lift and pry the fiber up. Did the fiber lift long and strong or did it break short and brash over the tool?

Also, proof load, 2.1x design load.

Ron Wenrich

The punky stuff isn't as heavy.  If it feels light, its firewood. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!