iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sweetgum slabs

Started by xlogger, December 10, 2016, 08:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Has anyone had any luck with sweetgum slabs? I know where I can get a crotch log about 4 ft wide to slab if I think any would lay flat. (hoping to make the deal with Jake on getting a slabber by the end of Jan if shipping does not break me).
This guy also has some 3 ft wide red oak pieces that are anywhere between 2 to 4 ft high. I was thinking about trying one to make 2-3" small table tops. Think they would crack? The wood is cheap to free just my time with it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

pineywoods

Unless it's quartersawn, sweetgum gonna warp and twist due to the spiral grain. It may or may not split and crack. I gave some 2 inch thick slabs to a woodworker friend, we'll see how it works out. Spalting seems to help stabilize sweetgum..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

I like that; the more rotten Sweetgum is the better.   smiley_devil_trident
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Slab sweetgum?

Ricky, you are a brave man  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

Let me show you a couple interesting pictures. These flitches were from a Mulberry yard tree. The first picture is of a nightmare.

I had never seen warp that bad. Second load same wood I added a bag on top of the kiln charge. When you pull vacuum, the bag expands and presses the wood flat.

Quite a difference!

Joey Grimes

I had similar experience in the past with warp and twisting with sweetgum but I recently cut some 2.25 thick live edge slabs and I've had good luck they are drying flat and no twist the only difference is these were mostly heartwood only about 1 inch of sapwood on a 20 inch log that may be the difference 

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Den Socling

They look good, Joey. About what is the moisture content?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Decades ago, sweetgum was almost always steamed before any drying occurred to supposedly help remove the stresses that caused the warp.  Such steaming also moderated the color differences...made the dark color more uniform.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I believe two things make sweetgum more manageable.  Larger diameter logs with mosty heartwood and older logs (as in age in years).  Since they both go hand in hand, they are probably the same thing.  Small, young sweetgum logs are delinquents. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

It would be a real shame to steam wood like Joey's. All of those different colors are beautiful.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Den Socling on December 10, 2016, 10:57:38 AM
Let me show you a couple interesting pictures. These flitches were from a Mulberry yard tree. The first picture is of a nightmare.

I had never seen warp that bad. Second load same wood I added a bag on top of the kiln charge. When you pull vacuum, the bag expands and presses the wood flat.

Quite a difference!
Den, Help me out with your pictures.  I don't have a kiln and I know that yours is a totally different animal then the standard kiln.  In your second picture, it looks like plain plywood sheets being used as "stickers".  The first picture look like plywood again but with a series of large holes drilled through them.

Seems (to me) that the solid ply would slow down the drying (I know, you are vacuum/dehumidifying) quite a bit due to lack of air flow.  Also, in the first picture, what the heck is up with the near ends of the plywood?  Looks like some pipe fittings?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Den Socling

There is essentially no air in the chamber while the wood is drying. Aluminum plates go on top of each 1, 2 or 3 layers of wood. The extrusion is hollow and warm water is circulated through it.

You lay down the plates as you build the kiln charge.

You winch the load into the chamber and then hook up heating water hoses.

Then you close the door, push a couple buttons and walk away. Then in 5 or 10 days, depending on thickness and species, you winch the dry wood out and unload.

thecfarm

That's quite the drier!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

OK, now I understand the process and the product cost.  Pretty cool idea.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Den Socling

Yes, they are expensive to build but they can do things that many people would consider just plain unbelievable fantasy!

Den Socling

Peruse this one, John. Another one I'm very proud of and it again shows that our kilns can dry wood that can't be dried any other way. If you Google Amboyna burl, you find it advertised as "stabilized" and they never claim that it is dry.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,14752.0.html

Magicman

Thank you Den for the link to a very nice read.  Well done and beautiful work. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

Thank you Magicman. That means a lot to me from you. And it's hard to believe that was 11 years ago!

scsmith42

That was a great thread and read Den!  Thanks for sharing.

One of these days....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Joey Grimes

The slabs in the pic were around 25-30 % mc think I had a total of 14-16 most of them went in kiln this week about 3 showed some twist but nothing serious I'm in the process of building a tortion box so I can true the twisted slabs up in the plainer 
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Den Socling

I say again that they are beautiful. I wish I could get some freshly cut but it does grow up here.

Joey Grimes

The slabs in pic are now about 25-30% mc out of about 15 slabs 3 have some twist but nothing severe 

xlogger

Joey, looks like you are air drying the slabs in a shed. Is that right? Do you have any air blowing on them or trying to dry them slow?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

You can put them back on the mill and skim off a flat face, then run them through the planer with the flat face on the bed of the planer to remove that twist.  They will plane a little thinner. 

Thank You Sponsors!