iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wondering if anyone has white oak?

Started by WhitePineJunky, August 13, 2023, 09:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePineJunky

Looking to get white oak acorns shipped so I can plant some, if you have abundance of white oak and willing to collect a few acorns I could take care of the shipping side of it! 
Thanks

Also would be interested in sugar maple or hickory but unsure about hickory passing customs if from the us? 

doc henderson

I will see.  you have plenty of walnuts?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: doc henderson on August 13, 2023, 10:00:45 AM
I will see.  you have plenty of walnuts?
I got to call the customs this week and ask about walnuts if they are allowed to cross the gentleman southside has that covered, very appreciative of that. I don't think acorns would be a issue? But I will ask while I'm calling about the walnuts 

beenthere

Our  hickory nuts have shown up wormy the last 6-8 years. Look perfectly fine when picked up, but then worms (grubs) bore out through the shell. 

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/2008/10-8/nutweevil.html

Might require special treatment before shipping nuts and acorns. Will be interesting to hear what you find out. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Big_eddy

Happy to send you as many sugar maple keys as you want, Canada to Canada. I'm already committed to collecting a bunch for someone else so have been watching their progress. About a month to go.

If you'd prefer 3-4" sprouted trees, we can do that too. They carpet the ground in areas of our sugarbush. (I don't know anything about pulling them but I'm sure someone on here does) 

nativewolf

Sorry Eric we dont have white oak acorns in our area this year, they don't fruit consistently but then our genetics would be awfully far south.  I'd look for some sources from coastal New England if you can find them.  Great idea and I wish you luck.  
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

Find some from northern New England, southern Ontario or Quebec. Mine never has pollinated nuts because the flowers come out at different times on the same tree so they don't self pollinate. I watch every year. All I have is pea sized duds that drop off in July.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sod saw

A couple of years ago, a neighbor sprouted a bunch of white oak acorns.  They were coming along nicely and he had the ground all worked up.  One per pot.

The next thing he knew, , , , the squirrels had up-rooted every last one.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

SwampDonkey

The squirrels here buried 20 red oak acorns last fall in the garden. They came up in the onions. It was a bumper crop on the oldest one. My problem with digging was coons and skunks when I buried a sack full in the garden with leaves on top.

Great year for hazels this year, the squirrels have hulled a lot on top of old maple stumps. Most will have a fat grub inside, but they'll chomp them right up to. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sum1

If you still looking I can gather some burr oak acorns from Manitoba for you.

cuznguido

I have not had time to check out the acorn harvest this year yet, but if you are serious I will look around in a few days and send you a PM.  We have lots of white oak so there should be some.  How many you looking for?

Thank You Sponsors!