iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

john deere 440 muffler

Started by thumper, August 25, 2011, 01:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper

ive been using a long glasspack muffler on this 440a since ive owned it.   could this muffler be hurting me.?  ive read members statements about them not working on a detroit.. ??? ::)
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

snowstorm

yup it sure can.........when the forrest service see's it. must have a spark arester unless its toubro charged.

tjdub

I would say a glasspack on a detroit could definitely hurt you.  Well, unless you're a mile away, wearing ear plugs, ear muffs, and ear muffs on your ear muffs, then you're probably mostly safe.

thumper

Quote from: snowstorm on August 25, 2011, 06:53:37 AM
yup it sure can.........when the forrest service see's it. must have a spark arester unless its toubro charged.
yes ss i do have a round arrester after the muffler..
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

lumberjack48

Some 4 stroke diesel motors require back pressure to get there Peek hp and John Deere might be one, that would be my concern.

I ran straight pipe on my Detroit's, the more air you can suck in, and the faster you get ride of it the more power you have with a 2 stroke diesel, and a 2 & 4 stroke gas.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Bobus2003

run my 440 straight piped, no issues yet and it's been that way for the last 20 years my family has owned it

barbender

There's no way I'd run a Detroit with a straight pipe, I don't think the power gain could be worth it Detroit just sound too ugly.
Too many irons in the fire

woodtick#2

needed to get the hood off of my 440 and got mad at the piece of flex pipe, ripped it off now i have a heater fo the winter time :)
-Nathan

Thank You Sponsors!