iDRY Vacuum Kilns

More Computer assistance, again ???

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 05, 2008, 07:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

I'm using Firefox. I find videos or other types of action shots, and hit download. Eventually the box jumps up, saying all downloads are completed.

Where the ()8*&%  are these downloads on my computer ???

I have been searching for over an hour ???  I'm about to blow thing to bits.  >:( >:( >:(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Radar67

The default location for downloads is your desktop. Have you tried holding down the CTRL key and pressing the J ? That will bring up the download screen. If you know the name of the file, you can search for it using the search feature on the START button.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

I've worn out the search function.  ::) ::) ::)

Just tried the ctrl J, and nothing happened ???  ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Rocky_J

In IE, the file location is indicated in the download box.  8)
IMO using Firefox is fixing something that ain't broke. IE just has too many options and features I guess.  ;)

Sorry, just getting back at some of the folks who seem to always find a way to plug Firefox every time somebody has a question or problem with IE. I'll go back to my corner now.  :-X

Fla._Deadheader

RockyJ, I get too much junk when I use IE, and have to clean the drive from viruses and spyware, and other malware.

I DO have protection, but, it doesn't get ALL the junk.

I DID find the download box.  8) Clicking on the item still doesn't open it to view ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Radar67

FDH, try going to www.download.com, on the right side of the screen select the first file by left clicking, then select download when the next screen comes up (you won't actually download the file). When the save file box comes up, click on save and see where the next box says the file will save to. Your other files may be in the same location.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Fla._Deadheader

It didn't say where it would save, just started downloading ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

They may be going into temp files with the idea of playing after they load.

If you have an idea  of what the file name might be, or some word they may use in it,  you might find the file by using the Search feature in the Start menu.

Radar67

Okay, last thing I know of...

Go to TOOLS OPTIONS in the firefox screen. When the box comes up, select the Icon named MAIN. (at the top)

In the middle of the screen where it says downloads, see where it says the files are to be saved to. Or, check the box where it says to ask you where to save files to each time.

Fla._Deadheader

:( :( :(  There's nothing named Mains ???  This is an AVI video clip I want to find ???

There was a place that said, all downloads go to desktop folder. I went there and found nothing related to the AVI  ??? 

I found an option to check, that asks me where to download to, so I checked that for next time ???

Y'all know them "special" places you put stuff, so you know right where to find it ???  Well, I got tools, computer files, pickup trucks, bulldozers, etc.,etc. in that place.

It'll be like a birthday, the day I find that place ???  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

What version of Firefox are you running?  Click "Help", then "About FireFox".

In Firefox, click "Tools", then click "Downloads".  In the little window that opens up should be all the stuff you recently downloaded, unless you'd been cleaning that list up.  If there are any items listed there, there should be 2 small links to the right of each item; "Open" and "Remove".  Click open to open the file.  Click remove to remove that item from the list.

Also, at the bottom of that Window, it should tell you what folder everything was being downloaded to.

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::) ::) ::)  Firefox version 0.9.2  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Tools-downloads worked FINE.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Gracias Senor.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  You too Radar, for trying to
help a moron  ::) ::) ;D

Edit:
  Now that I have access to these videos, AND, I have a CD-DVD burner, how do I use it to burn these to discs ???  Y'all are helping an Electronical cripple here.  ::) ::) ::)

If any of y'all need a Space Shuttle built, just let me know. ???  ::) ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

Ummm...  you should really consider updating your software.  Is this the same system that had a virus/trojan on it?

As for burning CD's...  that's a lot of typing and I don't have time right now, I'm sorry (at work).  do you have specific software for creating CDs that came with your burner?

Fla._Deadheader

Warbird, yes it is. The Antivirus-anti-spyware-antimalware updates automatically, every morning.

When I had the Trojan, I found the Updates were NOT up to date, by 4 days ???

It's mostly an older version of Firefox, and my inability to catch on to the Computer Age language.  Can't remember well, either.  ::) ::) ::)

Somewhere, there might be a manual on the Burner, but, who knows where ???

Shouldn't there be a bit by bit helper that tells you what to do ???

Also, I'm pretty sure, when I had the Trojan stuff, Firefox created a new profile for me, and that is where all the Bookmarks could be. Can't find a Profile file, anywhere ???

According to Help, there is one ???  Thanks for your assistance.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

OK. I'm finding that there is NO profile manager folder, on my computer, for Firefox. There is NO "hidden folders" button, under the VIEW button, on my computer.

IF I update the system, to a newer version of Firefox, will THAT allow me to search for the old Bookmarks that are missing ???  I hate to try something that will cause MORE problems. ?????????
   First, it is ridiculed;