iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which sawmill can do 1/4 inch thick cuts?

Started by bkellyvtme, July 16, 2006, 03:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

Is there such a sawmill that can do this?

Dan_Shade

there is a post on here from a few years ago where the guy's had a contest who could cut the thinnest.

I seem to remember somebody taking a picture of their computer monitor through a translucent "board"

a well setup bandsaw will saw very thin.

I did some digging, but I couldn't find that thread, maybe somebody else can remember enough specifics to find it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

mike_van

My home made one will, but like Dan said, got to have a good blade at the time -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

WH_Conley

I just cut 100 1/4"x8"x10' boards for a customer a couple of weeks ago on a LT40, I imagine any bandmill could do it. We'll have to hear from the swinger crowd, I don't know what they will do.
Bill

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Snag

Bibbyman

I think this is the thread you're looking for...

SHOOTOUT
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

brdmkr

I can cut 1/4 inch (or less)  all day, but with a circle blade you loose too much with the kerf to do this 'for real'.  I don't think, however, I could get anywhere near as thin as some of those pics in the thread posted by Bibbyman.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Fla._Deadheader

That was fun, re-reading Arky's challenge. I shaved a thin slice on them 40'ers the other day. Probably 1/8". I was taking a "cleaning" cut, to flatten the face from some tension.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fletch

Any good mill should be able to cut 1/4 in. I often cut a 2>3mm X 200mm board to demonstrate the accuracy of the Ecosaw. But it is preety wasteful with a circular blade.
Fletch the ecosaw guy

treecyclers

I have a couple slices of maple burl that I took off that are about 1/8" thick to be used for a jewelry box lid.
does that count?
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

bkellyvtme

Thanks for the replies. I am looking to mill my own hardwood flooring and then then next thing I would like to get a kiln.

Furby

Are we talking about making laminated flooring ???

UNCLEBUCK

I can saw paper thin if needed and 1/4 inch would be no problem except the blade is 1/4 inch thick so you would lose 50% of your log to sawdust . Those bandmills are really slick machines
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

fat olde elf

Any bandmill with  a sharp band should be fine........I cut lots of 1/4 cedar for Christmas ornaments.  Also cut walnut for veneer...............
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Bibbyman

One other thought...  If you're planning to do a lot of thin cuts on a routine basis, then maybe you'd want to look into what's called a resaw.  Wood-Mizer makes an attachment to their bandmills that will make making thin cuts more productive and and precise.  They and many others make dedicated machines that do nothing but resaw a squared out cant into boards. 

Here is a picture of a WM resaw attachemnt. 

It bolts to the bed of the mill and cants are fed through it.

Here is Kevin-H looking at a single head resaw.  You can't see much of the saw but if you do a search on 'resaw' in the sawmill section you'll get a lot more info.  Also,  you could go to the WM and Baker web sites to see what they offer.   Both have single and multiple resaws.
Sawing since '94

NZJake

Bet ya I can cut the thinnest sliver with the SKILLMILL :)!
Who's on?
Got my vernia awaitin.
hehe 8)
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Jeff

I aint got access to the circle mill any more Jake, but In the thread linked to earlier, I have the bench mark for thin with a 60" circle saw.  You can use that for a goal to start. ;)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=2187.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

NZJake

Your on 8)!

Seriously though, some of the timber thats been coming off the SKILLMILL is the best finish I've ever seen from a mill. Something to do with the small blade and electric? Some of the boards you actually have to study carefully to see the tiny score marks!

Will post pics tomorow of my thin attempt!

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

NZJake

Ok, here is my entry.

1/32" or .8mm (almost transparent! 8))

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Jake, All I gotta say is you got mighty pretty hands. :)

Hammy

Come on Jeff, stay focused on the point at hand  ;) What did you think of that for thiness?
C. Hammond
Petersons

NZJake

My boards still thinner than yours hehe ;D.

Jeff

Yes, nice thin hands. Beautiful. If not Jakes, whose are they?  Dont tell me thier yers Hammy, I've shook your hand before and those aint yours.

Jake, ya beat me. I gotta say, you whooped my record. I may lodge a protest though. I think it was the manicure that put ya over the top.

NZJake

Policy, manicure after every job ::).

Your absolutely right I've been spending way too much time at my computer desk lately! I gotta get those hands dirty again, I'll work on it tomorrow.

Bibbyman

How wide and how long was the strip?  The original challenge was 6" wide by 8' long.

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on January 19, 2003, 08:14:46 PM
  No! not with the Wiggins again.  But the Sawmill Shootout.  It seems while reading a TFG article that in Japan they have a compitention to see who can shave the thinest shaving with a plane.  I think it would prove who could cut the most accurate lumber if they could make a shaving say 6" wide and 8' long as thin as possible.  I have made some as thin as a 1/16 but I think with a good adjustment and blade could do better.  Swingers would have to put up or shut up about accurate lumber. ???
   What do you guys and gals think about going thin for bragging rights?  It would be a real test as to how good one could slice.
ARKANSAWYER

Sawing since '94

NZJake

scsmith42

Wow - .8mm converts to .031 of an inch - very impressive!

Now Jake, will that 10 WPF that y'all made for me do as well???  <grin>

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

NZJake

Tony_T

I've got a logosol chainsaw mill, it will do 1/4 " cuts.

Thank You Sponsors!