iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manual hydraulics?

Started by StorminN, February 28, 2008, 06:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

I stumbled across this video on YouTube, and thought it was funny that a mill with this many hydraulic cylinders wouldn't have an electric pump? (or hydraulic log loaders?) Has anyone here run a mill with hand-pump hydraulics? Looks like you'd get some big biceps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiN9y3p6Z54&feature=related

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

customsawyer

Milling with an electric motor and hand pumping hyd. makes about as much since as wiping befor you go to the bath room.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

HOOF-ER

Looks like to me there aught to be pedals on them bandwheels. If your going to go manual might as well get the legs in shape too. :D
Seriously , maybe a prototype just trying it out first? Can't imagine many people wanting it that way. Does appear to be a well built machine.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Bibbyman

I think I'll bookmark this post so in the middle of the night I when I can't get back to sleep I can pull this up and watch it.    smiley_sleeping

Mary'd find me in the morning face down on the keyboard!   :D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

i can't say I disagree with any of you guys!

nice looking machine.  I wonder how well that type of log gripping device works.  I really like the idea of being able to cut dimensional lumber like that, but i'm not so sure that they'd reliably hold the log.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

The clamp system looks like it'd work will with a swing mill - I'd think??

Could you tell if the mill had power feed?  I couldn't tell if he was pushing and pulling the head or not.

Looked to me like it would have been quicker to pull the board while you're making the next one so you wouldn't have to "pump up" the head so far each return.

What do you think?  A good offbearer to could take care of what? 3 or 4 of these mills sawing at one time?
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

i dunno, it looked about the speed of my LT40, and I can whip up an offbearer in a day's time...

I've found that raising the head over the whole stack takes a lot of extra time.  I thought it had a pretty decent feed rate.

I can't imagine being that fancy without a hydraulics pump.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

StorminN

Bibbyman, it looks to me like the mill doesn't have power feed... it looks like he's pushing and pulling the head.

I just can't picture taking the time to even weld up the bracket for that manual pump, if like customsawyer says... you've got an electric hookup!

It looks like the mill is Italian? and sold by this Scott & Sargeant, a London-based company.

-N.

J_T

Maybe it's an almish sawmill ???
Jim Holloway

StorminN

Can someone explain why all power feed band mills don't have a board return like this Baker mill? Is there some disadvantage to it?

Just wondering...

-Norm.

Tom

I would have watched the entire video, but, between the slowness of the mill and the cotton pickin' music, I couldn't stay awake.  What was the title of that tune, Requiem for a log?

Like what Baker Mill?

Most mills with the power, have dragbacks now.  or, at least they are optional.

Dan_Shade

well, it did seem slow, but he sawed up the entire log in under 10 minutes....  that's not too terribly bad....

the music score could have been much better...

logwalker

I watched his legs as he got ready to saw and I thinkum he was pushin'..
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Bibbyman

Quote from: Tom on February 28, 2008, 08:49:57 PM

Like what Baker Mill?

Baker Blue Steak

Looks like Mary's ol' buddy Jimmy Richards running the mill.

The dragback system is much like used on the WM LT70 and LT300.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmdMo09tJpQ

If the above don't work, try this link to WM web site.

LT70 Video on WM web site
Sawing since '94

StorminN

Tom, the text "this Baker mill" in my post above should be a link to a video from the Baker website...

Bibbyman, I click on your video and it says "this video is no longer available"...

P.S. What do the heavy hanging chains on that Baker do?

-N.

Bibbyman

Quote from: StorminN on February 28, 2008, 09:50:39 PM
Tom, the text "this Baker mill" in my post above should be a link to a video from the Baker website...

Bibbyman, I click on your video and it says "this video is no longer available"...

P.S. What do the heavy hanging chains on that Baker do?

-N.

Works for me...  I just copied the link from your link..

The heavy chains keep the board from sliding left or right.  The serve the same function as the dangle paddle things on the LT70.
Sawing since '94

StorminN

Bibbyman, I meant the WM video wasn't working... but I'm at home now on a different computer, and now it's working... hmm.

-N.

Furby

WM video isn't working here either.

solodan

I can't believe I watched the whole video. ??? It would have been a piece of cake but the music was just horrible.  ::)  I really started feeling sorry for this guy after like the 200th pump he made. :D The craziest thing is that someone built a really nice looking machine and then it was almost like they  said "Oh no! how are we going to make it go up and down!" and then they threw on a car jack.  ::) :D. That was alot of work for about 30 bf. ???

Bibbyman

Quote from: StorminN on February 28, 2008, 11:38:02 PM
Bibbyman, I meant the WM video wasn't working... but I'm at home now on a different computer, and now it's working... hmm.

-N.

That's real strange.  I worked before and it works from the WM web site and from YouTube.

Here is the same video from the WM web site.  You'll need to select the LT70 from the menu else it'll start off with the LT10.

LT70 Video on WM web site
Sawing since '94

DoubleD

That sawmill is an Italian made Pezzolato, it is an entry level model with manual feeding and the manual hydraulic option is offered to keep the price down, even Woodmizer offer manual hydralic as option here in Italy.

Here the market of small sawmill is very little, there is only one manufacturer (Pezzolato) all others are import, so they aren't very cheap.

That sawmill in the video have a 7.5 hp engine and cost in the 10,000 € range

Last time that I asked the price for a WM lt 20 (very comparable to the LT 28 for USA market) with manual hydraulic was in the 20,000 € range
Wannabe a sawmiller

SeeSaw

DanG I got tired and sweaty just watching him.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

Bibbyman

Quote from: DoubleD on February 29, 2008, 07:58:21 AM
That sawmill is an Italian made Pezzolato, it is an entry level model with manual feeding and the manual hydraulic option is offered to keep the price down, even Woodmizer offer manual hydralic as option here in Italy.

Here the market of small sawmill is very little, there is only one manufacturer (Pezzolato) all others are import, so they aren't very cheap.

That sawmill in the video have a 7.5 hp engine and cost in the 10,000 € range

Last time that I asked the price for a WM lt 20 (very comparable to the LT 28 for USA market) with manual hydraulic was in the 20,000 € range

I'd say it's more in the LT10 or maybe LT15 class as far as production speed.  I don't know how the exchange rate would compair that in price.

The manual hydraulics would be a great help - exp. the log turner - if the log was larger.  Otherwise,  give a LogRite to Mary and stand back.  ;D

Do they have videos of their mills with live hydraulics?
Sawing since '94

DoubleD

There aren't any video on the site but if you want to take a look www.pezzolato.it

That mill is around 15,187 US$
Wannabe a sawmiller

zopi

I think I'll stick with my good old gears and cranks and clamps....I want hydraulics, but not THAT bad...

what's up with the music....yikes...is this sawmilling or figure skating?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!