iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a whack of lumber and a jag of logs?

Started by Stump Jumper, October 21, 2003, 08:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump Jumper

Miziz stump jumper and I was wandering what is considered to be a whack and a jag do any of the following qualify?

Having problems with picture quality after shrinking to fit into allowed space is there something I can do about this?

These piles are about 23,000 board ft

These piles are about 500 board ft per bundle.

This is about 26 cord of aspen that made about 17,000 bd ft of cants and lumber.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Percy

Well Stumpy, its like this, if ya aint sure if its a whack or a jag, just call it a herd. ;D or a flock even :o
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trey_w

What Jeff??  We're all whacked??  Just wanted to make sure I heard you right.  ;D
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

Jeff

ElectricAl

We are stocking up. There is 25,000' on the concrete and 20,000 out in the yard. We have had 40,000' on the concrete before, but it gets tight.

Stump Jumper,

Nice Loader ;D

We made a dump box with a skid loader face plate. It also has fork pockets so it can be moved with a forklift. It's 4' wide and 5' long.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

Al was that picture taken out the basement window?

Stump Jumper

nice pics al. ilike the sky view. might want to plant some trees in    the backgrounds for future use. :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

ElectricAl

Yep ;D

Slid open the egress window and started shooting

Photos :D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

ElectricAl

Stump Jumper,

You wouldn't have any fun here, no stumps to jump for miles ???

Oakiemac gives me grief about the lack of trees too.

Norm

Did you make Linda climb up on top of the building to get that shot. :D

Looks to me like I need to bring my trailer Saturday, I'll have Patty load up a couple of those nice logs while your not looking. ;D

pappy

I thinks you whack a board from a log to create a whack of lumber  8)

but before that you drag to make a jag o' logs  :D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Kevin_H.

Ok now I've got log envy.

I ve got about 3000 bf right now, but then again I dont saw every day :(
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

pappy

Kevin_H

So what's yer problem
 your jag o' logs last longer than most  :D :D :D

Stump jumper,
nice operation to have that many whack and jags you must be a full timer
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

ElectricAl

Norm,

I laid out 15,000' of possible Veneer logs for our logger. The Veneer buyer stopped by today and started spending money 8)

That's good for logger boy not us,  ???

Anyway 3 walnuts went for $8/' and one for $10/' :o

Most were in the $4 range. Logger refused to sell anything for $2 and less. Logger can refuse $2, and pay us to saw it and make more money ;D Thin kerf = big over run

We got some real beauties for you and Patty to inspect.

There is one Butternut the buyers passed up ::) Not sure what's going to happen to it. Butternut is rare down here.

Kevin H,  

It takes money to make money ;D Did you get your saw shop up yet?

Kevin_H.

termite,

I do mostly custom sawing, so I saw about 1000' feet a week out of my own stock, most of that is going in to pallet stringers. I just bought my first load of logs in a long time, most of what I have been sawing has been freebee's from tree services. I would like to get 9 or 10 thousand feet on the yard before the weather gets too bad, But like Al said, it takes money!

Al,
 I orderd the shed today so it should be up in a week or so.
once it is up we have to remove acouple of poles and put in the header. hopefully we can get three sides up before the weather gets too bad, I have been telling my custom customers that after the first of nov. we will not be mobile until spring.

Once we get the mill inside I will post some pics.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Stump Jumper

Termite
It started out as part time hobby to build our own pole barn. It has grown from there.

This was the first project for the first sawmill.
Jeff
May God Bless.

pappy

stump_jumper

hobbies always get you into trouble, I ended getting a full time job with mine too  :)

keep it up  

Where's the mill pics-you must have a good set-up to produce that may whacks from that few jags  :D

Kevin_H  it's only money  :D "pallet stringers"  20 cord can't be that expensive, saw 5 and the rest should be payed in about 3 weeks then yous clear  ;)

Kevin_H.

termite,

we get about 3500 Board Feet on an semi load, that's about $700 in blocking, now that I can handle, My pallet guy is only about an hour away, I can take him 1000 bf at a time an turn that money around in about a week.

The big problem is sitting on a partial load of grade waiting to get up the 10,000 bf to fill the semi.

I called the logger tonite, he's got about 7 semi loads of cotton wood he would love to bring to me, but that's a lot of cotton wood!

Stump Jumper

Termite

Here is a picture of the milling operation onsite.

Miziz stump jumper forgot to take one of the new mill set up inside.   :'(

Here is the 1st mill.

Jeff
May God Bless.

pappy

Stump_jumper,
your lucky  ;D looks like you got friends when it's show time or wood dem be consumers of your services  8)

ElectricAl

Stump Jumper

Termite

The helpers in the picture are my father and a friend.  Miziz Stump Jumper helps also she keeps track of the board count and somtimes may even run the mill and the skidsteer.

ElectricAl

Sure would like to havea loader that we handle that much but it will come in time MAYBE says Miziz stump jumper.  How much lumber is on there and is it stickered? It looks like about 1000 bd ft. Mizuz Stump Jumpers guess.
Jeff
May God Bless.

ElectricAl

Stump_Jumper,

The lumber on our wheel loader was fresh cut Red Oak.
4' wide, 8'6" long and each pack is 15 rows with 3" skids on 3/4" sticks.  Approx. 1000'

The loader will haul 3 bunks at one time, but the top pack slides around on bumpy ground :o

How come you did not splurge for the cab and heat on the JD loader ???

Stump Jumper

ElectricAl

Sorry it took so long to get back with you.
We did not go with the cab option because we went with the backhoe option.  We just got around to developing pictures with the backhoe and skidsteer. The truck I rebuilt a couple of years ago.  

Jeff
May God Bless.

oldsaw

Saw the picture, and somewhere in my brain a little message went off "you know this whack of logs" :D.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

ElectricAl

Stump_jumper,

Nice option. Is that JD a 260 with weights? Just can't quite read the number.

Good choice for a sawmill and excavation company ;)

Ours is a 250 cab/heat with weights. 48" forks, 72" construction bucket, bolt on teeth, 72" grapple, custom built dump box.  

Nothing Runs Like A Deere ;D

Linda

ElectricAl,

I notice you didn't tell stump_jumper that he got a better option.  Apparently, you didn't mention that you got trapped inside of our "good running" John Deere! :o   Without a cell phone! ;D   More than once! :D

Better you than me!  ;)   You probably would have left me there!  ::)

Linda  :)

Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

dan-l-b

Something about sawing, logging and excavating, isn't there? ;D ;D ;D

ElectricAl

Linda,

The door coming out of the track and the lift cylinders slamming the door into my face does not affect how it runs ::)
It affects how well I can see out the door. >:(

When a big Jag of logs needs to be decked, or a Whack of Walnut needs put away, it Runs just fine ;D

But, I have learned to never shut the door without a cell phone ???

We have had this loader for a year now, it has 190 hours on it and I have been trapped in it for 1.75 hours in 5 door failures.
First time was for 30 minutes. The loader was idling and the door cylinders had me pinned in the seat. I could not reach the key,  or move the door. Finally, Linda came looking for me and was able to pull on the door while I pushed.

JD has promised to do something. Either a new ROPS with cab and door or a whole new machine. We'll see ::)

Maybe a 280 ;D  I could Pack A Whack with that :D

By the way Linda         Nothing Runs Like A Deere

Norm

Al you'll have to use the same technique I use.

Me: Honey I sure love my Deere but the front end loader doesn't seem to be everything we need around here.

Her: You have spent every spare dime we have on logging toys. You'll just have to make do.

Me: (a few days later) Honey I need some help clearing this fence row, will you run the tractor and pile brush while I dig it out.

Her: (later that same day) Honey I think we need a grapple just like Al has.

Me: Well our loader doesn't have that option but a Deere loader does.

Her:  @#$%^$# NO

Oh well I guess you better not use my technique. :D

Stump Jumper

ElectricAl

We are running John Deere 250 Hi Flow with weights.  Glad I didn't get trapped with the trap door.  We just received a recall from John Deere for this machine for steering improvement.  This covers the skid loaders from 1999 - 2001.  Steering linkage wears out  which we have already figured out and repaired it myself because it was out of warranty.  And now they want to put all new steering linkage in.
Jeff
May God Bless.

Thank You Sponsors!