iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Long posts being "lost"

Started by Ianab, November 13, 2021, 04:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

I've noticed a few people comment that they have typed out long posts, but they have been lost, and never appear in the thread. Very frustrating. 

What I suspect is happening is that someone else is posting to the thread while they are typing. If this happens you get a red message box telling you this, and asking if you want to review your post. Problem is this message appears down the screen a way, and might not be visible unless you scroll down. If you don't see it, and just click on to another screen, your long missive is never posted. 

So if you are having this issue, after you post scroll down that first screen that appears, and make sure your post has been accepted. If the red message is there it's easy to just hit "post" again, and it will go though. Or you have the option to edit your post once you have read the new message that's just been posted. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

Thanks Ian. In my case, I think it has something to do with using my phone (that's all I use, never a computer) and jumping between tabs while posting pictures. I wouldn't doubt at all that it was something I'm doing wrong, doesn't make it less frustrating though. Maybe more😁
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Upload your photos to the gallery first, then type the post and insert them where needed. Would save a couple of steps when your text is just hanging around. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

A phone may make the problem worse, because you certainly wont see the "someone else has posted" message, unless you actually scroll down look for it.

It's just that I had the same thing happen after doing a long post, hitting "post" and heading off to work. I checked on my phone later, and nothing? When I got back home I checked what was going on, and the post was still sitting there, ready to review and send. If I'd just clicked on to another screen it would have been lost. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

That's how I do it, SS. The only way I can get my pictures into my post is copy and paste. If I click on the "insert image into post" nothing happens. 
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

It should open another tab.  I wonder if there is a pop up blocker or something like that preventing your phone from allowing that to happen.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Re: clicking add to post and not adding the picture

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure things changed when the server was last updated.  I used to be able to open the Gallery and add my pictures.  Then, I'd open another tab and go to the FF to post a message or reply to one.  I could just switch tabs and click / add pictures to my hearts content.

After the upgrade, you have to start a reply or new post, click on the add pictures and a new browser window will open with the Gallery.  Then you can add from there by clicking.  IF I have/had another window or tab open with the Gallery BEFORE opening the post/reply, I cannot use the add button.  It just does nothing.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

I have been able to use the browser back button to recover the text when I don't notice the "red message" notice.

Tacotodd

And yet ANOTHER reason why I'll need to come to a second pig roast. After all, I need a good handholding when it comes to make the pics post from my current phone :( @doc henderson couldn't even make it work from mine, and he tried about 7 times.
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

we all have a way of doing it.  if I know I am going to make a long detailed post, I may post it after a fair amount of work, then hit "modify" and add pics or more verbiage so I can add more and not risk losing the whole thing.  I post from a laptop or desktop.  I add pics from my phone to the forum (from my phone).  I have hit post without paying attention and then realize it is not there and hit the back space, and usually get it back and then hit "post" again to post when someone else had made a post before i was done.  often they are making a similar comment to mine, or it may change what I want to post, but usually not.  I used to go out to the main menu each time but have found the little buttons at the top to go back to thumbnails or use the "filmstrip" to add multiple frames.  I sometimes forget to hit the insert and ok for each pic, especially if I did an extra step like rotation.  there is a bit of a learning curve, but it is doable. 

end table for my buddy Dallas, from a tree planted when he built his house.  time line table, he can point to when his kids were born.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

peakbagger

This has happened to me multiple times including twice today. Both times I made sure to reply to my thread yet it does not show up on the forum. Should I just give up posting or is there a way it can be fixed?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

I know where the problem is with mine, it isn't the forum end its this newfangled windows 7 machine or its browser. I can go make a sammich and then read another thread or two, remember I was posting, come back and it has closed tabs to save resources. Poof, another epic tale gone to the mist. I miss that old ME machine, i could go out at lunch after starting a post, come back and finish hours later and it hadn't forgotten a thing.

The fixing needed is more than likely at our end  :D

Southside

If you didn't see your post right there scroll down, there will be a message in red, or pink, or chartreuse, or whatever color that is that I can't see, and my wife reminds me of all the time, that someone else posted in the meantime and it gives you a chance to change what you said or simply post it, so hit the post tab a second time.

I bring up the color thing as it just happened again yesterday when I said a doggie ball was pink and I was corrected that it was purple.  Who knew...

Ha - ironic - while typing the above Don P posted so I had to scroll down past the green warning and hit post again!!  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

I have lost more than a few posts exactly as Southside says. Between connection time lag and large posts it takes a few more seconds but when You post you have to wait and your post should show right up there. If not, you have to scroll down because of all the sponsor header stuff up on top of the page and you will see the 'funky color' and hit post again.

The only other thing that has blown out a post for me besides that is when the cat walks across the keyboard when I look away and that really burns my bottom.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

I have a friend/FF member that has not logged on for a year.  I had sent him an 'RUOK' PM which went unanswered so I finally gave him a call Saturday night.  He immediately answered and we had a long chat.  

Bottom line, he is ripped because of the responses he got after 'loosing' a post/reply.  I don't know if he ever understood about the 'alert' that we get if someone post while we are typing a reply.  Your reply does not go into 'never never land', it does not go anywhere.  It's still where you typed it and when you leave the posting window, you essentially delete it.  This certainly happens to me occasionally, especially if I sorta 'click and go'.  :-\

Many times I will copy a reply before posting and then click on the topic to verify that I did everything right.  That way I can proof read and correct/modify the fat finger fumbles.

We have to remember that our computer and the FF does what we tell it to do, not what we want it to do.  Remember the old saying about when you point at something or someone, there are three fingers pointing toward you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

One additional thing to keep in mind with that point is that most of us didn't end up here because of our love for and amazing tech skills.  Just imagine the frustration of your favorite "Geek Squad" member if you gave them a 5 minute instructional session on your sawmill and told them to "go for it".  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows