Solution to repair Woodland Pro ripping chain

Started by blackhawk, January 16, 2023, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawk

If you use the Woodland Pro 46RPS chain from Bailey's on your slabber, I found some tie straps that work to make repairs.  Bailey's doesn't sell tie straps and to get any you have to buy a whole roll of chain.  Anyway, after a lot of searching, I found a Stihl .404 tie strap works perfect for this chain.  It is Stihl part 3812-660-6020 and it comes with 8 sets.   

Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

blackhawk

I will say that I haven't actually cut with the repaired chain, but the rivets spun up fine and the finished thickness over the rivets is just like the rest of the chain.  Everything articulates well.

I think that I must be the only person in my area that breaks and spins my own chains.  I called 3 local saw shops and I had to explain what a tie strap was to them.  One guy knew what it was, but didn't call it a tie strap.  I had to explain in depth to the other 2 guys what a tie strap was.  Maybe I just talked to the wrong people at the shop.

beenthere

blackhawk
What is your definition or explanation of a tie strap? 

Think some of us can learn something here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

blackhawk

Quote from: beenthere on January 16, 2023, 06:46:31 PM
blackhawk
What is your definition or explanation of a tie strap?

Think some of us can learn something here.
Tie straps are just the links that connect your chain together.  In the attached pic is a set of presets and tie straps.  Presets are the part with the studs or rivets.  I've seen them called both "presets" and "preset tie straps".  The mating piece with just the holes are the "tie straps".  These are the most prevalent names that I've seen them called on the internet.  Some may just refer to them as "repair links".  

I traveled to another one of our factories for work and asked a guy for a hex key wrench and he looked at me like I was crazy.  He had no idea what I was talking about.  Then I said "you know, an Allen wrench".  He said "why didn't you say that the first time."