Alaska yellow cedar burls for auction

Started by beenthere, April 05, 2006, 09:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Heads up. Jeff just uploaded the two Alaska yellow cedar burls on eBay for bidding. I was given these burls by a logger on Wrangell Island in SE Alaska. They look to have some very interesting burl 'activity' and tight, curly grain. One is near as perfect as it can get, and the other has a limb stub sticking out which may prove to be interesting on the lathe.  Enjoy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8274754324
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

HEY......I was the first to bid. BT they look great and if I get them, there won't be no shipping 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

That's right as I will deliver them, and quit postponing my trip to stop and visit your digs. That goes for anyone within a half days drive from SW WI.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CHARLIE

I'm a half days drive if you drive real fast..... ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

CHARLIE

DanG Burlkraft! You is making it tough on me! :o  You is playing hardball! ;D  I might not be done yet though.....you just never know ;)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Burlkraft

Hey Charlie......You know what they say.... go hard or go home :D :D :D :D :D

Tell ya what....If I gets 'em them I'll split 'em with ya.

I'll have Beenthere bring 'em here and then maybe we can come up to see you 8) 8) 8) 8)

You have to make the gritz tho..... :D :D :D

iain

On a bit of a side note does any one know if Alaskan yellow Cedar is any good for guitar bodies?

Iain

Burlkraft

Iain,

I would think that for a solid body it may be okay. I know Squire uses Basswood for some of thier Fender electric knock offs. I wouldn't think that cedar would have the tonality that one would be looking for in a hollow body.

But.....I can't say for sure.

I do know for sure that I never met a burl that I didn't like :) :) :) :)

Curlywoods

Quote from: iain on April 06, 2006, 04:56:08 PM
On a bit of a side note does any one know if Alaskan yellow Cedar is any good for guitar bodies?

Iain

Ian,

I have a couple of acoustic guitar makers that use Alaskan Yellow Cedar for the sound board(top of the guitar) and love the sound.  It is deeper and richer in tone vs. Sitka Spruce.  I know that they sound great strummed in the shop by someone that knows how to play them (not me!) :-)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

iain

Curly thats the info i wanted thanks a bunch

iain

Burlkraft

Hey Curlywoods,

Do you build guitars? That is always something I'd like to try. I have seen some spectacular things done with burl and curl in both solids and hollows. I know nothing about playing or tone. I just like guitars and the sounds that a skilled musician can make with them. If you do build them can we have a few pics ??? ??? ??? Maybe some lessons ??? ??? ???

Fla._Deadheader

How about delivery to Linda Vista ???????????????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Hey Deadheader,

You just send me a map and I'll be right down :D :D :D :D

beenthere

I be gettin ready to make a road trip after tomorrow, either to the high bidder or to the Post Office or UPS.  :) 8)
south central Wisconsin

beenthere

Sorry FDH and Frank
Can't get there from here.   Will arrange shipping however.  :)
south central Wisconsin

beenthere

Delivered the yellow cedar burls to the bid winner Burlkraft this afternoon. Had a good visit, and he has a real nice place to work over. Lots of projects, and was a beautiful day.

south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

What did ya make of the burls? Yellow cedar (yellow cypress we call it in BC) is nice stuff. Smells good to, hate to put finish on it to kill the smell. I seen some nice ones on the Charlottes, no burls though. Most of the time yellow cypress was not a real huge tree, but once in awhile we found some big ones that were 4 or 5 feet across the but. Found them up in the mountains mostly. Very rot resistant to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

I made a really nice natural edge bowl out of one and the udder one I sold to Charlie  ;D  ;D

I'd post a picture, but the bowl has been packed away to get ready for some house remodeling

SwampDonkey

Hmm, that yellow cypress gets... a round.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))