iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Burned Today

Started by wwsjr, March 16, 2013, 05:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwsjr

I was at my nephew's house next door when a neighbor stopped and yelled "your sawmill is on fire". It was totally involved. I called 911 on my radio, I am also fire chief of our VFD. Pumper on scene within 5 minutes.The mill, millshed, attached shop is a total loss. Front tires on tractor nearby burned but I was able to start and back away from the fire. Lost both of my chainsaws, leaf blower, 70 WM blades, all my electric hand tools, planer, tablesaw, air compressor and all my hand tools. Both of my logrite cant hook have bent handles from the heat. It may be time to retire.
Insurance on mill with MAI, I don't think anything else is covered.

No one hurt and it was just "Things".

Willie   
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

DaleK

Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

sigidi

Heck Willie!!!!!!!!

That is crazy,pleased no one got hurt. Do ya know how it started?
Always willing to help - Allan

customdave

Sorry to hear this , hard pill to swallow. Glad nobody was hurt! Wish you luck with your insurance , keep your chin up Willie.... :-\

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

thecfarm

I am very sorry to hear that bit of bad news.   :'(   Retire? You would miss the sawing.   ;D     Sounds like you had quite the operation going there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Any idea what happened?

I was up to the neighbors who was boiling down sap yesterday. I was just looking around inside the shed they was boiling down in. I seen a couple of things going on that could cause troubles, on top of the guy saying the door to the firebox had turned nice and red the last time they boiled down. I'm thinking a sugar shack might be one less soon.  :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

yarnammurt

Sorry to hear it, My truck burn down about 2 months ago had insurance with Nationwide but still got took to the cleaners, Hope you have better luck than I did
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

mikeb1079

arrggh.  that sucks man, sorry to hear it.  what a drag. 

keep us posted on how things progress and good luck.   
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Bibbyman

What a tragedy.   

Any idea how it started?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wwsjr

No idea how it started, I had gone to the mill about 15 minutes before to get tools we needed at my nephew's. I saw nothing that indicated a problem. It was a hot fire, melted alum block on pressure washer. Oh well, God has blessed me for years, we will move on. Did not burn any of the several thousand feet of oak and pine I had custom sawed for customers this week.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

dblair

sorry  to hear about your misfortune . a real bummer . I'm the same age as you , don't know what my response would be . take your time and let your mind heal before you make any hasty decisions .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o :o  Holey Moley.  :o :o :o

Believe I would go fishing, first thing in the morning.

Sorry to read about this.  The one thing I fear the most. It's usually a total loss.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

pineywoods

OUCH...that hurts down here too. Things can be replaced, glad you are OK.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WoodenHead

That is terrible news!   :o  But I am glad everyone is okay.  Amazing that your customer's wood was not touched (that was a real blessing  ;) )  Hopefully everything works out with your insurance.  I wish you all the best!

moandrich

My prayers are with you. 
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

WH_Conley

Bill

Jeff

That's about a cruddy thing to have happen.  :-\ Any idea of the cause? Be sure to let us know how MIA handles things for you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jasperfield

I sure am sorry to read about this. Many times we don't know why these things occur; but, there is a reason.

Skoalbandit78

I am sorry to hear about your loss, glad no one was hurt.

Chuck White

Sorry to hear about your loss Willie!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Sorry to hear of your loss!  Glad no one was hurt and your moved your tractor in time.   

WDH

Tom would have said, "What a revolting development".  I share the same sentiment.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

DanG :(  That suxs man  :( :(  Glad no one was hurt.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ND rancher

Sorry to read of your loss.I'm glad that it was only things and not you while you moved the tractor. Keep your spirit up.  Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Thank You Sponsors!