iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got to experience a dust devil up close and personal today

Started by Southside, May 02, 2024, 10:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

We have a field that has more than its share of dust devils that pop up in it, today was the second one I have seen this year as I filmed the last one a month or so ago.  Anyway this one was about 2'  wide at ground contact level and eh 20' or so tall.  It was strong enough to make wood chips dance but not completely leave the ground and was 30' from me when I spotted it so I decided to chase it down and ran into it - felt just like one of those storm chasers.  What was really interesting was that from 10' away the thing was absolutely silent, but once I stepped inside of it - man was it loud and quite windy.  Knocked my hat around but the most surprising thing was once I was inside of it I could no longer see it. I could feel it and hear it, but there was nothing to see - was a pretty amazing experience for those few seconds. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Remember, there is no place like home!  and I am from Kansas!  got your ruby steel toed slippers Jim? ffcool ffcheesy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

We would get those developing over hay paddocks as the sun heated up the ground and created that spinning updraught. It might be quite common, but you could really see it over dry hay, One day when I was still a teen, we were doing hay, and Fred, Dads friend and neighbour, was using his hay rake to row up for baling, and a couple of us kids were watching, waiting to help pick up bales. Anyway Fred is heading up the paddock, and looking down to his left to watch the rake and his line. This big swirling whirlwind builds up across the paddock, and came in on his blind side. We could see this big mass of swirling hay intercepting his tractor, and basically burying him for a few seconds. He came out the other side, but was picking hay out of his hair / teeth / ears for while.  ffcheesy
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

I well remember them from my work in Saudi Arabia. Let's just say the local culture had not picked up on the Make Arabia Beautiful concept and we used to refer to the plastic bag as the National Bird over there. We'd have a Shammal or severe dust storm and they'd blow so many plastic bags against a chain link fence that they'd blow the fence over.

You could see plastic bags and other trash swirling hundreds of feet in the air when we would get a strong dust devil.

I remember running a camp near Mosul Iraq when we had a Shammal come through that looked like the scene from the movie The Mummy. 

BTW - did you know Mosul used to be Nineveh as of Jonah fame.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Well Jim I hope you were not wearing a short skirt as the site of your bloomers might cause your chickens to go on a laying strike!  :snowball: ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Get them a lot here in summer, but you'd have to be quick and no predicting which direction it will turn to. Never seen one go in a straight line for long.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

Ours mostly have corn leaves up in the air. ( imagine that ...... ffsmiley )  Extremely common here. 

Thank You Sponsors!