iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Panama or BarkMark?

Started by Clark, October 08, 2012, 01:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clark

I'm in the market for a new spray gun and am considering these two different guns, the Panama cylindrical (1.5 gallon model) or the BarkMark backpack sprayer.  My past experience has always been with a Panama and it has served me well but there are several key factors pushing towards trying the BarkMark (BM for short?!)  Key is the price, $180 separates the two at Ben Meadows (BM2 or just #2 for short?) with the advantage going to BarkMark.  The BarkMark also holds up to four gallons of paint and the design allows you to continually keep the pressure up in the tank and not remove it to increase the pressure.

The biggest problem for me in this evaluation is I have never used or even seen in person a BarkMark.  Has anyone on here used one or both of the above?  I would love someone first hand experience using the BarkMark to chime in.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

banksiana

I have used both.  What kind of marking are you doing?  Boundary?  Cut tree marking?

Clark

Well, both.  Right now I'm putting in boundaries but next spring I'll be doing cut-tree marking.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Texas Ranger

I have only used a Panama, that "up to 4 gallons" would run me off, that one gallon tank at the end of a day is enough for me.  Besides, i need the pump up breaks to cool off, drink some water, and try to regain my youth.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

banksiana

I now only have 2 of the aluminum panama, 2 gallon marking guns.  It holds 2 gallons, but better off only putting in 1.5 or so, and the rest compressed air.  They clean up nice especially water based paints.  If you were exclusive in doing only boundary, I would say the barkmark would do, but spending the extra cash and getting a panama is the best route.  Get a pressure tank too, and you will hardly ever have to pump it.   

Clark

Hmmm...I was sort of hoping that the BM with it's extra capacity would be a winner.  Is the quality difference great enough that you would just bypass it and go for the panama?  My main problem with the panama is the capacity.  Today marking boundaries I filled up 5 times, each time about 1.5 gallons and I didn't really put in that long of a day, maybe 6 hours painting.  Having the extra capacity would save me walking back to the truck several times each day but if it's only to have a marginal sprayer I'll probably back off of on my daydreams.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Texas Ranger

4 gallon sprayer would weight in at somewhere around 35 pounds, the panama around 10 pounds or so, not counting the backpack on either.  That 35 is close to a combat pack, and I am too dang old for that.  I need the walk back to try and get right.  If you're young enough, that 35 may not be a chore.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Phorester

No experence with the BarkMark, but I've used the same Panama for over 35 years.  The one I have is probably 60 years old or older.  I'm sure it's been used to mark several million feet of timber. The only problem I have ever had with it is that the leather washers in the bottom of the pump handle will sometimes harden or otherwise lose their seal.  Replacing those is all I have ever had to do for repair.  Obviously it's also been cleaned and stored properly all these years.

As has been pointed out, a 4 gallon gun is a lot of weight to carry around, stumbling up and down hills and scrambling over rocks, fallen trees, etc. We always tried to plan our lines to mark out and back to the truck, getting back when the tank was ready to refill.  We'd just mark until we felt the tank was about half empty, then turn around right there and mark back.  A lot easier to carry 10 pounds on your back than 40 pounds.  Marking long property lines like you describe I'd be inclined to use the smaller gun and carry extra paint in bottles on a waist belt or marking vest pockets to distribute the weight.

Ron Scott

Many of the younger foresters here use the Panima Elliptical Backpack Tree Marking gun that holds a gallon of paint and they like them quite well and they continue to tell me that is what I need.

They are too pricey for me to change to now and at my old age the extra weight is hard on my back problems. I have for years and still use the Nel-Spot Dura-Built ( blue hard plastic)Tree Making Gun. My Forest Tech. is also the old school and uses the Nel-spot  (metal) Tree Marking Gun. They hold up well for our all season's uses and are easily repairable by ourselves or Nelson Paint Company here in Michigan.

I carry extra paint quarts in a belt tree marking paint carrier on my waist and he carrys his extra quarts in his cruiser vest. We have a quart in our loaded gun and can easily carry three extra quarts for a 1 gallon workload also.
~Ron

banksiana

I would almost guarantee that if you have not used a backpack marking gun if you try one you will never go back to the old nelspot guns.  Quality of mark, ease of use, don't have to be right next to the tree, etc.  Sure they weigh a little more but rig it up so it is comfortable and you are off to the races.  If you work by the hour, sure, use a quart squirter. 

Clark

Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions of carrying 4 gallons in any sprayer for any reason.  I'm not sure what the BarkMark weighs but considering the difference in materials I was hoping that it would weigh less so you would lose some weight there or gain extra paint for no weight penalty, however you want to look at it.  The 1.5 gallons the Panama carries is fine but on these boundary marking jobs it definitely eats into my time with extra trips back to the truck.  If I could cut the number of trips in half I would gain some serious production.  Phorester, I was unaware that they had been making Panama's that long, it certainly makes me inclined to buy one of them instead of the BarkMark.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

banksiana

Clark, I have a spare you can try for a while if you are interested.  Try it for a week or so. 

Thank You Sponsors!