iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New landowner questions

Started by GreggB, September 02, 2013, 11:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreggB

My wife and I were blessed to purchase a nice farm in north central West Virginia.  The property includes about 100 wooded acres.  Unfortunately, the woodlots appear to have had little to no care for at least the last 40 years.

We have taken advantage of the West Virginia managed timberland program and will be working with a highly recommended forester in the next 10 months to file a timber management program.  Our primary goals are conservation, wildlife habitat and some selective harvesting to help manage the timberland correctly.

From what we have been able to discover, about 40 years ago, West Virginia thought investing in white pine would be a great idea so land owners were involved in some type of cost sharing plan for white pine and spruce.  According to the very nice WV forestry agent who has been helping us, WV was wrong and a pine market never developed here. So, that leaves us with about 20 to 25 acres of pine and spruce stands.  The spruce stand is fine and is located in an area with little issues.  We don't really know what to do with it, but it's a great wildlife habitate and seems to be healthy.

One of the pine stands is another story.  An approximately five acre stand is located next to a rural intersection and right behind a historical barn that we'd like to save.  At least two trees had fallen prior to our purchase but were just shy of hitting the barn.  We would really like to remove the entire stand and convert the acreage to pasture since it's located immediately adjacent to the barn.  But, we don't really know what our options are.  Is clear cutting the best option?  Is there any type of market for the pine to help pay for whatever we do?  The size of the trees vary greatly from over twenty inches in diameter to 12 or so.  How do we handle the debris that is left?  Is there any way we can sell or give away the branches for mulch?) 

We were told to contact West Virginia split rail to see about selling the pine to them for their split rail fencing products but how to get from point A to point B?  Is it at all feasible to expect to find a logger who would be willing to work with us?  We absolutely want to avoid mountains of branches that have to be burned and compressed land with ruts everywhere.

Thank you very much for your expert advise.  Also, we fully expect to work with our forester but I'd liked to educate myself independently also since we have never been involved with timber management before.

Sincerely,
Gregg

beenthere

Gregg
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Your farm sounds great, and going to be a lot of fun managing it in your near and far future.

For the white pine, advertise it for sale. Clear cut out the pine as sounds like you don't want it.
I'd guess in 40 years, that the diameters at breast height (dbh) to be around 16-18" and lower limbs have died and fallen off to about 12-16' up. Pics would be great.

If me, I'd consider just dropping them and wait for it to rot on its own. The brush piles will be home for lots of wildlife in the meantime. Rabbits, bring foxes and coyotes. Birds will like it and deer will feed on the brush that comes up.

If pasture, then hire a land cleaner to come in at a stiff cost to drop, remove stumps and leave the land ready to plant in pasture grasses.

Two extremes to pick from. As to ruts, pick a time when the ground is dry.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GreggB

Thank you very much Beenthere.  I'll have to see what it would cost to have clear cut.  Always good to have rabbittat.  But the wife has dreams of a horse...

Thanks again,
Gregg

thecfarm

GreggB,welcome to the forum. Too bad you could not have the white pine logs cut by the same person that could stump the land too. I would expect you would still have to kick in a few $1000 to get it all done. But than maybe the spruce stand could help bring down the cost too. On my land burying the stumps would bring up another problems,rocks and LOTS and LOTS of rocks. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GreggB

Thanks thecfarm.  It would be great to find a logger who would stump also.  Oh, we've got rocks here.  Before the move to WV, I thought a spud bar was next to the salad bar and included bacon bits, sour cream and cheese...

LeeB

DanG, this fellow is going to fit right in. Already steering it around to food.  :D  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

I just mentioned the logging,digging stumps as an all in one deal. The guy that dug the foundation for my home is also involved in logging. But if I was to TRY to bury my stumps,I would have to get rid of all the rocks than. Trade one problem for another.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Where in West Virginia is your property located? Do you have any hardwoods on it such as tulip poplar, oak, etc? Its best to work with a local professional forester to meet your management objectives in an efficient and effective manner.
~Ron

GreggB

Thanks Ron,   

We are currently working with the forester who is writing up our timber management plan.  We just wanted to do some self education also.

Gregg

Thank You Sponsors!