iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bit by the dust bug..I knew it would happen!

Started by theboman, July 15, 2009, 11:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theboman

If you seen my post in the processing, well, BO-DADDY go bit by the dust bug...I wanna mill!

The fella rolls in with a Wood Mizer 40? I need to check the pics to be sure and was so impressed on how it cut, and his ability.  A smooth operator.  Anyhow from 5:45am arrival time to 4:45pm pulling out time we (he) cut 1090 foot (I stacked, toted, etc.) of lumber for my soon to be 3 sided shed.  Not bad for a fella in his 60's and a 48 year old kid :) I was so impressed!

I want a mill! Just a small thing to work (play) with from time to time.  I guess I need to sell a few more homes or do a trade of radio ads ... Any mill makers like bluegrass? Ha, oh, I need my F250 fixed to tote lumber...hmmm.  Okay, let the dreams begin....

Costs? Brands? Again, just as a hobby from time to time, mostly in the fall or spring...

tyb525

Now you've been bit, I see a mill in your future. You sound just like I did before I got my mill.

I would recommend a Woodmizer LT15 or bigger if you can afford it. Some other mills such as Baker are good too. And WM and Baker are both sponsors of the forum. I myself am partial to Woodmizer, they have great customer service and I haven't heard anyone complain much about their mills.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DanG

Welcome to the forum, Boman!

A small manual mill can be had, brand new, for less than the cost of a second-hand fishing boat.  The Woodmizer LT-15, Norwood 2000, Timberking 1220, and Baker 18m are all of comparable size and price, and can all be found in the column of sponsors to the left of your screen.  The swingblade mills from Peterson and Lucas can also be found there for just a bit more money.  There are also used mills out there for sale, but those small ones tend to hold their value really well.

I think a small sawmill is one of the greatest things a fella can have.  Not only can you get all the lumber you want for next to nothing, it gives you a unique status in the community as well.  Besides that, you may even make a nickel or two with it. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ScottAR

Welcome to the dark side...  :D

If you thought talking about tractors was fun wait till you wander
around here awhile.  ;)

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ladylake

The way I looked at it when I bought my mill that cost around $23000 was it was about the same price as a new car or pickup which nobody thinks twice about buying.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Don K

Welcome boman,  There are many good entry level mills out there. I personally have a LT 15 and it has served me well. There are several other 15 owners on the Forum that can answer any question you might have about them. The biggest debate that will come up is if you will need hydraulics or not. If you get serious, take your time and get what is right for you.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Sprucegum

Don't leave out the old circle mills!

Finding and restoring and operating one of those is a hobby/business/job/marriage that'l take all your time/money/brain cells..........what?

nas

love my Norwood.  Sawed over 2000bf yesterday, 8) :o :o but my shoulders are telling me I need hydraulics today. >:(

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

backwoods sawyer

Adding hydraulics whether it is no the mill or on a piece of support equipment will save on those sore muscles. I just added this boom truck as my tow vehicle for my LT-70. You cannot have too much hydraulics. I was still working on getting the boom operational the other day when I was milling up an ugly old walnut. It sure would have been a time and effort saver when it came to handling the 9' log, which measured 48" on one end 36" in the middle and 44" on the other. The size and shape of the log made the hydraulics on the mill inadequate.
No mater how you set up the mill the dust will be in your face so you either enjoy the dust or find another line of work.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!