iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Port Orford Cedar?

Started by Scott G, February 01, 2008, 11:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott G

Does anyone have any experience using P.O. Cedar?  The material has a very strong smell to it.  Does this fade a way like most cedar, or does it linger for a longer period?

logwalker

Port Orford is a variant of Alaskan Yellow Cedar that grows in a small area of the Oregon coast. The smell will be there for a long time but will fade. It is a very good wood for outdoor projects. Where are you finding it? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Riles

There's a professor at Louisiana Tech that would probably like some samples for wood ID class if you have scraps laying around. He'll pay shipping. Tough to find some woods in the local area.  :D
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

nsmike

QuotePort Orford is a variant of Alaskan Yellow Cedar
Not really the PO Cedars closest relative is the Atlantic White Cedar in the US. PO Cedar. Alaskan Ceder was in the same genus but recently got move to one of it's own. There are closely related Japanese and Chinese species, that have created a large export market for it, resulting in very high prices.
Mike

Ianab

I have sawn and used a bit of it, it used to be planted as farm shelter belts around NZ. The trees are quite small still and not usually good form though :(

The smell tends to go away once its dry, although if you machine it again it's still there.

This is a local building (new tavern) that was built here a couple of years ago. It's timber framed but with galv steel connector plates. But all the main components are Port Orford Cedar.

Should be no problem using it for timber frame use, it's light, strong and very durable. But it will probably have a distinctive smell when it's first closed in.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

moonhill

That looks like a Post and Beam structure, not a Timber Frame.  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

Ianab

Quote from: moonhill on February 03, 2008, 06:05:27 AM
That looks like a Post and Beam structure, not a Timber Frame.  Tim B.

You are probably right, I'm not up on the technical terms. It just caught my interest as it wasn't conventional construction for this part of the world, and it is heavy timber construction using Port Orford Cedar

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

nsmike

Ian, Do you refer to Port Orford cedar as Lawson cypress. My references say that outside of the US PO cedar is refered to as Lawson cypress. Just for reference all heavy timber construction can be refered to as Post and Beam in N. America timberframed tends to bbe reserved for woodeden pegged mortise and tenon joinery. I know that in Australia any type of wood framing is refered to as timber framed because these use timber as a synanom for wood and lumber.
Mike

Scott G

We are getting the material from East Fork lumber out of Oregon. 

We have had to open all the doors and kep fans running to keep the air moving because the smell and dust is irritating everyone's eyes and noses.  We have about 300 sticks in the job so we are going to be dealing with this material for awhile.

Thank you for the replies.

Ianab

QuoteIan, Do you refer to Port Orford cedar as Lawson cypress.

Yup.. it's called Lawson cypress locally, from it's scientific name Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.

Dont common names and local terms for things cause confusion   ::)

QuoteWe have had to open all the doors and kep fans running to keep the air moving because the smell and dust is irritating everyone's eyes and noses.

It's pretty powerfull stuff alright, but that is what give it the natural durability. If you think the dry stuff is bad, try sawing it green. Lil cant even help me saw the stuff, gives her a headache.

Cheers

Ian

Scott G

Your completely right, sawing POC green is horrible.  Everyone has resperators on b/c the first few days everyones eyes were getting irritated and cough it was bad. 

From what I read, POC is suppose to be great to use outside, b/c of all the oil, but checks and twists alot during drying.

Rizzo

Quote from: Riles on February 02, 2008, 08:13:27 AM
There's a professor at Louisiana Tech that would probably like some samples for wood ID class if you have scraps laying around. He'll pay shipping. Tough to find some woods in the local area.  :D

Riles,
I have some POC scraps in the garage that I can send. PM me the shipping info and I'll be happy to do so!

Rizzo

Riles

Now where did you find POC?  I spent 15 years in Ft Walton Beach and I know dang good and well it ain't growing in your yard!  :D

Let me check in with the prof.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!