iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maybe a simple stupid question but... (TF: Anchor Bolt the sills)

Started by wkheathjr, August 21, 2009, 11:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkheathjr

Do you make anchor bolt on the foundation for sills to hold the sills down to the foundation?  It might sounds like a stupid question but didn't think it would hurt to ask since I live in hurricane alley where a lot of winds are blown in this area as well as tornado.

Or is the skeleton of TF too heavy enough you don't need to have it bolt down?

Brad_bb

There are a number of different types of anchors used for TF.  There have been past posts on this.  If you can do a search, I remember a post with pics of the various methods from knife blades that extend up the middle of posts. to straps to other types as well.  Yes you should be anchoring to the foundation.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

shinnlinger

Brad has mentioned there are a few ways and that you want to do something. 

What I have done on my frames is use conventional anchor bolts to secure  a 2x PT sill and then used seismic tape or some sort of  nail plate to connect the pt plate to the sill or attached seismic tape/strap/plate after the fact to both the concrete and the sill.  You can lay your tape or long strap under your sill near the bolts as you attach it and then wrap it up and nail it to your frame later.  I have also used a  product that has a anchor you place in your wet concrete that has seismic straps coming out of it that you nail on to your sill later.  These are nice, but you need to make sure you have the anchor right where you want it and brace it in place well so it is still usable when the concrete cures.

Out in "California EarthQuake Code" Oregon you could buy the seismic tape in 250 ft rolls just about anywhere, but here in NH I had to special order it and it took some doing.  I like it because you can cut yourself whatever length you need.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jim_Rogers

You'll probably have to comply with code, or at least you should even if it's an outbuilding......and if you're in a high wind area then yes it should be anchored. Even the heaviest of frames can be pushed off a foundation if the wind is strong enough.

And I'm sure if you're in a hurricane alley then you should anchor your frame to the foundation, for sure......

As mentioned there are many ways to do it depending on the frame design and/or concrete foundation design.....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

moonhill

This is a test, please stand by...

jdtuttle

It depends. Is it a full basement or crawl space? If it's a crawl space you could use the tie down systems used on mobile homes. With a full basement you may want to anchor to the ground with cable. Or, just say a prayer that the wind don't blow 8)
jim 
Have a great day

wkheathjr

Thanks for answering..  I just finished two of Jack Sobon books (Timber Frame Construction and Timber-Framed House) and didn't mention anything about it being anchored so that's why I asked.  Books were very informative and now next thing I need to do is sign up for a one-week workshop to get some hand-on experience and further my education on TF before I can start thinking of building a cabin and then a 2 vehicles garage with apartment on top.  ;D

jdtuttle, basement is not common down here like it is up there.  Crawl space and slab is more common down here.  I think maybe it is common in west part of NC because it is hilly and mountain over there.  In east part of NC, it is pretty much flat plain and there are a lot of flood so basement is not a good idea.  Just sharing that info.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: wkheathjr on August 21, 2009, 11:15:29 PM
It might sounds like a stupid question but..................

There are no stupid questions,,,,, only questions that need answers............

wkheathjr

Jim, that's so true!  There is a saying, stupid people dont ask question..

Sorry if I did not reply back to your email on timber plan.  I thought I would invest some of money into books and I am glad I did because it was full of details.  I knew nothing about how to pick the tree to build log or timber until Jack gave some good details on trees and so forth on.  It even had details on hurricane hold and snow load hold which I will need both for building home down here and vacation home in Maine.  I hope you understand.  Thanks!

Jim_Rogers

shinnlinger

I think another reason basements are more common up north is that you need to excavate down 5 or more feet to get past the frost line for making a stemwall.  For a just a little bit more $ and effort you can have a full basement so why not?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

olyman

Quote from: shinnlinger on August 22, 2009, 11:24:54 AM
I think another reason basements are more common up north is that you need to excavate down 5 or more feet to get past the frost line for making a stemwall.  For a just a little bit more $ and effort you can have a full basement so why not?
plus in the southern states--isnt the ground water a lot closer to the surface?????? my understanding is that is so in a lot of parts of tx.

Thank You Sponsors!