iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

preferred species for timber framing

Started by mikeb1079, September 23, 2014, 10:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb1079

hey fellas, this is my first post over on this side of the forum.  in the coming years I may have the opportunity to build a small timber framed cabin.  I'm a complete novice when it comes to timber framing but have a deep desire to try and I love to work hard.  I have so many questions but one that's been rattling around in my head is about what species of timber is preferred for the frame.  the land my family is looking at is in northern Wisconsin but I have access to land/timber in the southern half of the state as well.  I've read that eastern white pine is a good frame timber but mostly I'll have access to hardwoods:  oak, hickory, maple, ash, cherry, aspen.  so my questions are these:  if you had a choice what timber would you cut for the frame?  additionally:  is it acceptable to mix and match?  or does that pose problems due to the differential drying rates? 

my plan is to work with a local timberframe company that has an architect on hand to come up with a framing plan/cottage plan that my family can agree upon.  then I'll start searching out the timber and milling to spec for the frame. 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Jim_Rogers

The easiest answer is to work with what you've got.....

Welcome to the timber framing section.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

mikeb1079

Thanks jim for the welcome and also for the sticky topics....I've been reading them through lately. On that note, can you recommend any specific books that you've found helpful. I plan on ordering a few here coming up
homebuilt 16hp mill

Jim_Rogers

Mike:
I have posted my book list. Do a search here and you'll find it.

There are many but Jack Sobon's are my favorites.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

My preference is white pine. I would avoid hickory, it's tough, and likes to split. Maple will be tough going. Red oak works ok, but can really check and twist when the heat goes on. Ash can be a toss up and cherry isn't too bad to work with. If you've got a lot of nice cherry, especially the kind of cherry that will make good timbers, it might be more economical to sell the cherry logs and buy pine timbers.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mikeb1079

Excellent feedback thanks so much guys.  I will definitely look into white pine, as that was the direction I was leaning. The other option would be aspen. A friend has a ton of tall straight aspen trees that he said I can have my pick. Has anyone framed with aspen?
homebuilt 16hp mill

Brad_bb

I'm assuming by aspen in Southern wisconsin, you may mean Cottonwood, or Silver poplar?  Those are two to shy away from.  Cottonwood has been used in a frame in the past, so not precluded from use, but where it's used in the frame, how well it dries, how much load it will see, must be considered. 
You can use almost any of the hardwoods or white pine, or red pine, or spruce.  What it really comes down to is what do you want to use?  Is there a certain look you are after?  What is available to you?  Also consider do you want to frame with green wood, or seasoned (dried) wood.  If the latter, procure the wood, seal the end grain with Anchor Seal, get it under cover so that the sun does not hit it, off the ground, where it can breath a bit and not under plastic where it can mold.  Let it air dry for a couple seasons or until you are ready to use it.

Jack Sobon's books are good.  I also like Steve Chappell's book " A Timber framers workshop".

I'm about to do a frame using a lot of reclaimed (dry) hardwood timbers, and some green timbers that I will cut asap, and let air dry until spring, or when they are used, whichever comes first.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

QuoteI'm assuming by aspen in Southern wisconsin, you may mean Cottonwood, or Silver poplar

I'm in southern WI and have both quaking aspen and bigtooth aspen. Have no cottonwood. The bigtooth aspen has a much better form and hardiness for more years than the quaking.

But I was also under the impression the OP was thinking of trees on their northern WI property as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mikeb1079

i really appreciate the info guys, very helpful.  yes we're currently looking for property in northern wi and ideally i'd like to use timber from the property to build the cabin.  there have been several lots that we've seen so far with some nice white and red pine so that's what i'd like to use.  however, it all depends on what's available.  if we end up purchasing a smaller lot with unsuitable/not enough trees than i'll probably either go with big tooth aspen or white oak.   8)
homebuilt 16hp mill

Thank You Sponsors!