iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooden Buckets

Started by EZ, March 18, 2003, 02:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

I tryed looking for the right place to post this, but I could'nt find it. Please excuse my stupidity.
I need to know the degrees to make wooden bucket (12inches high x 10 inches dia). Thanks
EZ

Mark M

Well you could use 90 if you don't mind it being square  :D

Or you could divide 180 by the number of sides you want to use. An octagon would use 22.5 degree cuts.

Mark M

Whoops, I forgot about the width - that's the tricky part. I'm sure someone can come up with the exact formula, but since the circumference is about 3.14 times the diameter or about 31.4 inches in your case, you would just divide this by the number of sides you want to use. Use this dimension for the widest part of the board. This won't be exact but it will be pretty close, the more sides you use the closer it will be.

Hope this helps.

PS - my dad used to make planters like this all the time. He used 20 pieces (for an 8" bucket) and then sanded the glued-up bucket in a home-made lathe-like sander to make them round. He also added 2 black-ash bands to hold them together. He also made butter churns that were also round but there were also tapered. I asked him how he did that and he said he'd have to kill me if he told me the secret. :D

One more trick my dad used. He would use boards twice as long as the hight he wanted and then glue up a cylinder. Once it was dry he would cut it in half with a jig saw and have 2 buckets.

Norm

I knew the math teacher was right when he said that someday I'd use this stuff, but oh no I cheated and looked over the shoulder of the girl that sat in front of me. I just asked her what the answer was but apparently she wasn't paying attention either.

sawwood

EZ here are the numbers you need. Set the saw blade to
 5.7 degs and the miter gage to 21.8 degs. you will need a
 board 25" long and 11.3/8 wide. you cut each segmented
 pice at the edge 4.5/32" wide. I make segmented bowls
 and have a program that gives you the angles you need.
 Hope this helps.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Fla._Deadheader

Where does a feller get the program?? Sounds like something I could really use??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

Try this site, Deadheader.

Woodturnerpro.com

Tell him I sent you.  I doubt he would charge you double if you did.  ;D ;D
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawwood

EZ i got my program from Kevin Neelley  here is his web
 site.

www.turnedwood.com

Sawwood

Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

dail_h

EZ,
   If there is a historical society close by their ""woodwright""should be able to help with traditonal technicue{sp?} orrrr you could send your wood to me to saw,seems everything I cut is wedgie
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

EZ

Sawwood,
I printed the thing you posted for me, thanks alot, I'm sure it will help alot. Now all I have to do is fine the time to make them. To many pots on the stove, don't ya know. Thanks again.
EZ

EZ

dail-h,
LOL, when I started sawing I was having the same problem, until I figure out the squaring dogs were'nt square. Thanks anyway, but I'll pass on sending you my logs. ;D
EZ

sawdust

If you use full radius bullnose (canoe) bits in your router then you will not need to calculate any angles. If you wish to use your saw then you have to count the number of staves you will need to get around the circumference. Double this number because you will likely be cutting both sides of each stave. divide 365 by the number of sides and presto this is the number of degrees you will need. I used to build hottubs and rainbarrels this way till I had a set of big planer blades ground to do it.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Haytrader

Norm,

The reason that gal in front of you didn't pay attention either was probably cause she was lookin over her shoulder at the guy behind her.

;)
Haytrader

Norm

You know your probably right Haytrader, and look what it got me two fine young sons (I call them with all my math problems) and 27 years of marriage. Not a bad tradeoff for getting a C- in the class. ;)

dail_h

Hey EZ,
   How did the storage building and box project work out? We'ed all like to know.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

EZ

I have my son-in-laws building the buildings and boxes. I think they sold 7 building. The boxes vary per week, one week they delivered 10, then there are some weeks that is none delivered. About the middle of May they company wont be needing any more boxes. I get 20% of profit, which is some good money for sawing junk logs. The boys bought a nice one ton truck and a low boy trailer, with this extra income.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!